Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common

Myles

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Someone else already said that.   How many cops have to deal with criminal elements of society on a daily basis?   I think you watch too much televsion cop shows and need to go out and meet some real cops.

We interact with LE regularly as our 2 companies install and maintain Fire alarm systems, Burg systems and surveillance systems.

Is there anything else that you would like to assume?

How many cops have to deal with criminal elements of society on a daily basis?

Have you ever heard of the word "potential"? I leave it to you to figure that one out.

42 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

We interact with LE regularly as our 2 companies install and maintain Fire alarm systems, Burg systems and surveillance systems.

Have you ever heard of the word "potential"? I leave it to you to figure that one out.

Potential is different than dealing with  daily.   Yes the potential is there and cops take the job knowing that.  So, what is your real point?

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

How many cops have to deal with criminal elements of society on a daily basis?

Have cops in the family and friends with many. It depends on what city they work in and what areas in those cities they patrol. It's not Mayberry for a lot of them.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Which of those professions have to interact with criminal elements of society on a daily basis?

Probably none, that not being their job at all.  So let's keep going - what is the problem with having to deal with criminal elements?  It can be dangerous.  But apparently not as dangerous as managing a farm, dealing with trees and heights, dealing with boats and fish and large bodies of water, etc.  Shouldn't you be asking how many cops have to deal with deadly logging equipment, heights and falling trees and limbs on a daily basis, since that's more dangerous?

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

2021 was the deadliest year for LE in history.

Because of COVID.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

But apparently not as dangerous as managing a farm, dealing with trees and heights, dealing with boats and fish and large bodies of water, etc.  Shouldn't you be asking how many cops have to deal with deadly logging equipment, heights and falling trees and limbs on a daily basis, since that's more dangerous?

Because these are not relevant to the subject matter of the thread.

41 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Sure, are you saying you are the criminal element that LE interacts with on a daily basis?  Or do you hear their stories and think they are talking about every day?

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Sure, are you saying you are the criminal element that LE interacts with on a daily basis?  Or do you hear their stories and think they are talking about every day?

HAHAHANO.jpg

31 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Because of COVID.

Or the continuation of the "summer of love".

12 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Holy crap! #10 is my job. I want a raise!

It doesn't count if it's your own. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It doesn't count if it's your own. :lol:

No, I do it for the town. :huh:

Just now, Likely Guy said:

No, I do it for the town. :huh:

I was just kidding. We've got three acres and a little less than two is at a forty-five degree angle. It's rather precarious, especially when we have to clear fallen trees.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I don't know what you're talking about, I didn't say something was false.  I implied that people go to Fox News to hear what they want to hear, which in this case is about crime that occurs where Democrats are in charge (but about the crime 'crisis' in red states.. be vewy vewy quiet...).

That's probably true.  But I'd go further and say that those who turn on MSNBC or CNN do so in order to hear what they want to hear too. And that these media organisations are AT LEAST as biased and untrustworthy as Fox. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

That's probably true.  But I'd go further and say that those who turn on MSNBC or CNN do so in order to hear what they want to hear too. And that these media organisations are AT LEAST as biased and untrustworthy as Fox. 

Of course they are and if you choose just one to get your information you are only marginally informed.  If you want the whole story you have to look at Fox, CNN/MSNBC and then go to CBN & Al Jazira, maybe even Telemundo to get a more accurate idea of what is actually going on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Your argument has one very serious flaw: The threat of assassination continues long after a policeman retires, because the criminals who were arrested by the officer have long memories.
Retired loggers and fisherman, on the other hand, have only a very small chance of being assassinated by a tree or a fish. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Of course they are and if you choose just one to get your information you are only marginally informed.  If you want the whole story you have to look at Fox, CNN/MSNBC and then go to CBN & Al Jazira, maybe even Telemundo to get a more accurate idea of what is actually going on.

I agree. I'd also include a bunch of independent researchers and commentators rather than just the establishment media, but the general sentiment is the same. 

The problem that I see, though (and the reason why I post so much about "the mainstream media") is that everyone appears to know that Fox is biased. They ridicule its bias and many dismiss it as a source before they even look at what it says. But these same people who should rightly treat all media as untrustworthy will share stories from MSNBC and CNN and Politico and NYT and more and not even realise these organisations are peddling an equally biased narrative. Because they are all on the same political side and share similar ideologies, people make the unwarranted assumption that Fox News is "the right wing conservative news, while the rest of the mainstream news is the *real news* that everyone else watches".

Not everyone literally believes this, but the numbers are high enough to be statistically significant! Unfortunately that means a higher percentage of people uncritically accept what CNN says. They shouldn't, but the fact is they do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michelle said:

I was just kidding. We've got three acres and a little less than two is at a forty-five degree angle. It's rather precarious, especially when we have to clear fallen trees.

You know I love you like a sister.

I'd be happy to take care of that.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, el midgetron said:

10 career criminals racked up nearly 500 arrests since NY bail reform began

A small group of just 10 career criminals was allowed to run amok across the Big Apple and rack up nearly 500 arrests after New York enacted its controversial bail reform law — and most of them are still out on the streets, The Post has learned.

Stunning statistics compiled by the NYPD, and obtained first by The Post, show that the city’s alleged “worst of the worst” repeat offenders have been busted a total of 485 times since bail reform went into effect in 2020.

Two of the defendants are actually accused of embarking on lives of crime in the wake of bail reform, with one busted 33 times since 2020 and the other busted 22 times, all this year, the data ……

……The NYPD’s list of “notable” career criminals is topped by Harold Gooding, who’s been busted a total of 101 times, with 88 coming since bail reform was enacted…..

……He’s hit one location 20 times. The same location, 20 times.”Lipetri added, “And again, we’re talking about arrests here. We’ve arrested that individual 100 times. How many crimes do you think he really committed? Two hundred? Three hundred? A thousand?”“And guess what? He’s walking around the streets of New York City today, probably committing another crime as we speak,” Lipetri said.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/03/career-criminals-rack-up-nearly-500-arrests-since-ny-bail-reform-began/

Maybe Adams will initiate a new law, "102 strikes and youre out".

Liberals will say, "That's too harsh. It should be 150 strikes".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I usually check BBC also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

Have cops in the family and friends with many. It depends on what city they work in and what areas in those cities they patrol. It's not Mayberry for a lot of them.

That's RACIST!!

(Sarcasm)

To imply that any group of people are more crime prone, even if a proven fact, is intolerant and evil. Or, so the snowflakes would have us believe.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Zebra3 said:

NYPD officers leave in record-breaking exodus before full pensions set in: They're risking 'everything'

Former NYC detective claims there are no longer any incentives for working for city's police force

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nypd-officers-record-breaking-exodus-full-pensions-set-risking-everything

Getting what they asked for.

We have had a lot of officers leave the Portland police. Mayor Wheeler was right there supporting the BLM and Antifa goons during the 2020 riots. So he and the city council "Defunded" the police. And crime went dramatically up.

So a year later he Refunded the police, but the damage was done. AFAIK they've offered huge signing and retention bonuses, but have fewer recruits then they've had in many decades. And crime is still out of control.

The police won't go to car accidents anymore, usually. There has to be a major crime to get police to show up. Domestic abuse probably doesn't have them show up either.

Portland police have also said they won't respond to Gun Shots, unless there is a known human victim.

Crazy...

Wheeler realizes the stupid he did, and now regrets it, but like I said, damage is done.

• Like 1

I am on welfare, no I'm not for shoplifting, I'm for welfare being a decent amount of money that people can have a decent life on it.

Not for Gov giving it to utilities etc, waste of resources and means big government, just give people all of it and let them spend it. Only' manage it for those who can't manage to look after their own money - ie mental health etc.

11 hours ago, simplybill said:

Your argument has one very serious flaw: The threat of assassination continues long after a policeman retires, because the criminals who were arrested by the officer have long memories.

If you know it's a serious flaw you then you have some statistics on this?  How many cops are being assassinated by criminals they arrested?  People get killed by their business acquaintances too, which cops probably don't have to worry as much about.  Retired loggers and maintenance workers have probably helped friends and such with that kind of work and gotten killed also, as long as we're including things like this as a danger of their job. 

Regardless, show me these assassination numbers and how they make a difference in the dangerous job rankings.  Right now I suspect it's the same problem that pops up all the time with media-driven narratives, that Fox News or CNN or whomever will provide you one or a few examples of cops being killed by former criminals and people take that as being something that happens a lot more often than it actually does.  But maybe I'm wrong, I'll be interested in seeing your statistics on this.

7 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

If you know it's a serious flaw you then you have some statistics on this?  How many cops are being assassinated by criminals they arrested?  People get killed by their business acquaintances too, which cops probably don't have to worry as much about.  Retired loggers and maintenance workers have probably helped friends and such with that kind of work and gotten killed also, as long as we're including things like this as a danger of their job. 

Regardless, show me these assassination numbers and how they make a difference in the dangerous job rankings.  Right now I suspect it's the same problem that pops up all the time with media-driven narratives, that Fox News or CNN or whomever will provide you one or a few examples of cops being killed by former criminals and people take that as being something that happens a lot more often than it actually does.  But maybe I'm wrong, I'll be interested in seeing your statistics on this.

For me it is the danger from criminals they are currently pursuing.  Police officers do an honorable service for us and I greatly appreciate the service they provide.