Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common

Myles

'They're just sick of it': 6 smash-and-grab crooks hit jewelry center, but tenants — some of whom 'feed three families' — fight back to defend livelihoods

https://www.theblaze.com/news/jewelry-center-tenants-fight-robbers

• Like 2

Portland area Target employee shares frustrations, dangers of working in crime-ridden store

https://www.kptv.com/2022/09/12/portland-area-target-employee-shares-frustrations-dangers-working-crime-ridden-store/?outputType=amp

"We will have people who will fill up backpacks, suitcases, wagons, and just walk out the door,” the employee said. “Some guests will do a smash and grab. They take a hammer, or sledgehammer of some sort and smash the glass doors that are protecting the electronics and grab what they can and walk out.”

Since the pandemic, the woman said theft has exploded and becomes particularly bad during closing time.

“I know if we touch a cart that someone’s walking out with, we are automatically on final warning and so next time we do it, we lose our job,” she said. “No matter what, Target is there to protect us and they don’t want anything to happen to us.”

The woman told FOX 12 she understands Target’s safety policy, but she says so do thieves who in turn, feel invincible.

So "protecting" their employees, but running the store into the ground. I'm sure the employees will appreciate it once the store closes down.

I wonder that there's no store security. Or, maybe they're not allowed to intervene either.

Those looters are self-entitled thugs.

No respect for those weirdo's.  

Shoot 'em on site.

• Like 1

I didnt read this thread but was thinking the only people i actually know who shoplift were ones who had the money to pay i would give them hell.

A shoplifting story that I witnessesed was back in the 1990s. I was in the Army and I was at the PX. A guy pushed past me and ran out of the store. He got tackled by MPs in the parking lot before he could get away. Turns out he was a Staff Sergeant, with a wife and kids, and was stealing music CDs. He'd stolen many, and that's why the MPs were waiting this time. Got court martialed, and a bad conduct discharge. He threw away a 10-12 year career in the military over a couple $5 CDs.

Pure stupid, IMHO. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pallidin said:

Those looters are self-entitled thugs.

No respect for those weirdo's.  

Shoot 'em on site.

I agree.  Most feel they are entitled to have these things.  Thugs, every one of them.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, DieChecker said:

Portland is doing much the same. The city council talks a lot of trying to help, and allocating of money. But the reality is sweeps where they tow everything away, and tear down all the tents and cardboard houses. I think there's got to be a better way then simply taking their housing and making them sleep on the sidewalks. Trying to drive them off, rather then trying to fix their actual issues, IMHO. 

Mayor previously was super Woke, and allowed the city to go to hell. Now with lots of bad polling, and companies leaving the downtown, he's turned and become ferocious and ruthless. Typical politician trying to ride the trends.

Our jails are still full, even though they made drug possession none criminal. I'd agree to many recreational users have gone to jail/prison, bit I think the current trend in many places to not prosecute minor offenses has emboldened many... Including the homeless. 

I'd agree the homeless are doing crimes out of desperation, but I don't think we can simply ignore those crimes. The answer is to help the homeless... And sometimes that might be involuntary, IMHO. The craziest need to be institutionalized. 

That was a really good post. 

The rise of the homeless population in the US follows the decline and shuttering of the insane asylums and mental institutions when patients were committed and swept out of sight.  The correlation to mental health issues in this population is quite high.

It's a bad situation.  I don't think many would favor a return to the early 1900s insane asylum construct, but the alternative is what you have been seeing grow worse on the streets now for decades.   

• Like 4

Portland is still choosing to be soft on crime while crime skyrockets.

A Portland, Oregon, homeless man accused of throwing objects at car windows of unsuspecting drivers has left residents of the city concerned and, now, questioning why the suspect was only issued a citation and not arrested. 

"He looks at me, braces himself on his bike, and takes pretty careful aim," Portland man Steve Magnuson told The Oregonian of a recent attack. "Then he smashes the object into my windshield, which pounds through the whole car."

Magnuson’s car was attacked before 5 p.m. on Sept. 10 by a suspect who was riding a bike, The Oregonian reported. Magnuson, who was running errands at the time, video recorded the incident, which helped police identify the suspect as 51-year-old Robert Casey McClatchey.

Magnuson said he even looked for McClatchey himself after his windshield was shattered by what appeared to be a rock, searching multiple homeless encampments before spotting the suspect’s bike and alerting police.

"I go home and I’m pretty jazzed, because I have the video of the person and their location," he said.

Police issued McClatchey a $100 citation for criminal mischief over the incident, even though criminal mischief is a bookable offense that can lead to jail time, local outlets reported. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-residents-targeted-man-lobbing-objects-unsuspecting-drivers-slam-slap-wrist-suspect

• Like 1

The Weld County, Colorado community is mourning the loss of Deputy Alexis Hein-Nutz who was killed in a hit-and-run while driving to work Sunday, just one week before her 25th birthday.

Capt. Matt Turner of the Weld County North Jail Complex remembered the fallen officer on "Fox & Friends First" Wednesday, telling host Todd Piro that the suspect Octavio Gonzalez-Garcia is an illegal immigrant and suspected of driving drunk. 

Piro noted that Gonzalez-Garcia had already been arrested for DUI and had a "failure to appear" warrant out for his arrest. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/colorado-deputy-killed-illegal-immigrant-hit-run-suspect-arrested-handcuffs

On 9/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, Myles said:

Portland is still choosing to be soft on crime while crime skyrockets.

A Portland, Oregon, homeless man accused of throwing objects at car windows of unsuspecting drivers has left residents of the city concerned and, now, questioning why the suspect was only issued a citation and not arrested. 

"He looks at me, braces himself on his bike, and takes pretty careful aim," Portland man Steve Magnuson told The Oregonian of a recent attack. "Then he smashes the object into my windshield, which pounds through the whole car."

Magnuson’s car was attacked before 5 p.m. on Sept. 10 by a suspect who was riding a bike, The Oregonian reported. Magnuson, who was running errands at the time, video recorded the incident, which helped police identify the suspect as 51-year-old Robert Casey McClatchey.

Magnuson said he even looked for McClatchey himself after his windshield was shattered by what appeared to be a rock, searching multiple homeless encampments before spotting the suspect’s bike and alerting police.

"I go home and I’m pretty jazzed, because I have the video of the person and their location," he said.

Police issued McClatchey a $100 citation for criminal mischief over the incident, even though criminal mischief is a bookable offense that can lead to jail time, local outlets reported. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-residents-targeted-man-lobbing-objects-unsuspecting-drivers-slam-slap-wrist-suspect

Maybe with enough people getting fed up, the citizens will vote out the far left city council that controls everything in Portland.

26 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Maybe with enough people getting fed up, the citizens will vote out the far left city council that controls everything in Portland.

For your sake, I hope so.

Dozens of people entered a Wawa convenience store in Philadelphia and began ransacking the place on Saturday.

Footage shows people throwing food and standing on furniture as employees are helpless to stop the chaos. The aftermath saw trash and products littering the store's floor as throngs of people milled about outside.

The Philadelphia Police Department confirmed to Fox News Digital that officers are investigating the incident.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dozens-seen-ransacking-philadelphia-wawa-store-throwing-food

• Like 1

A large group of Philadelphia youths ransacked a Wawa and left the store trashed, according to a video of the incident taken by an employee.

About 100 youths descended onto the convenience store in North Philadelphia around 8:20 p.m. Saturday where they threw food at each other, stole items and destroyed shelves. One young woman was even seen mounting a counter where she began twerking. 

The commotion then traveled outside where some teens were seen fighting and yelling among each other. The crowd dispersed when police arrived on the scene, according to multiple reports.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/sep/26/wawa-trashed-by-droves-of-philadelphia-youths/

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Eldorado said:

A large group of Philadelphia youths ransacked a Wawa and left the store trashed, according to a video of the incident taken by an employee.

About 100 youths descended onto the convenience store in North Philadelphia around 8:20 p.m. Saturday where they threw food at each other, stole items and destroyed shelves. One young woman was even seen mounting a counter where she began twerking. 

The commotion then traveled outside where some teens were seen fighting and yelling among each other. The crowd dispersed when police arrived on the scene, according to multiple reports.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/sep/26/wawa-trashed-by-droves-of-philadelphia-youths/

Too bad none were shot.   

I only say that because I truly hate thieves.    Not much like for vandals either.

Edited by Myles
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I didn't post the video as it is pretty violent and disturbing.  

This guy needs to be put to death.

Disturbing surveillance video shows a New York City homeless man chasing down and violently pummeling a woman who reportedly ignored his attempts to engage her in conversation on the subway. 

Waheed Foster, 41, is facing felony assault charges in connection to the Sept. 20 attack on a 33-year-old woman. The graphic footage, obtained by Fox News Digital, shows the man running after the woman through a Queens subway station before grabbing onto her arm and throwing her down into a ticketing counter. He then delivers several blows to the woman’s head and upper body and stomps on her. 

Another straphanger, seen dressed in orange carrying a red cross body bag, runs up to help, but the homeless man seemingly chases him away almost immediately back through the subway turnstiles. 

The woman appears to start getting up from the floor before the homeless man, wearing a navy shirt, white pants and orange sneakers kicks her again at least five more times in the face and head before walking off. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-homeless-man-violently-pummels-female-straphanger-graphic-caught-video-attack-queens-subway-stop

Right in the poor lady's own home.    This guy is a sick individual.   I hope they find him before he does it again.  

Philadelphia police are looking for a man accused of entering a senior citizen's home through an unlocked door and assaulting her before forcing her to undress.

Zyree Downing, 22, was named by police as a suspect in the assault of a 71-year-old woman inside a home in mid-September, FOX 29 reports. 

Authorities believe Downing entered the home through an unlocked door and demanded money from her.

When she refused, Downing allegedly punched the victim in the head and back, then started choking her. Investigators say he then forced the victim to disrobe and sexually assaulted her.

Zyree Downing, 22, is a suspect in the heinous assault of a 71-year-old woman inside a Philadelphia home in mid-September. 

Downing is believed to have taken the victim's cell phone and credit card before taking off in her gray 2014 Totoya Corolla.

• Sad 2

A New York City registered sex offender with nine prior arrests was apprehended again for allegedly breaking into his 81-year-old Brooklyn neighbor’s apartment and brutalizing the woman. 

Thomas Johnson, 50, is accused of a "particularly despicable crime" against the 81-year-old victim that happened at approximately 1 a.m. on Tuesday in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn, NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig said at a press conference on Wednesday. 

So far, Johnson – a registered sex offender, risk level 3, which is the "highest level" – has been charged with second-degree assault on a female over 65 years old and strangulation and burglary in connection to the incident, but there may be additional charges in the future, Essig said. 

"He knows I live here alone. Oh my God, how could he do this?" the woman, whose name was withheld from the report, told the newspaper. "I’m still spitting up blood. He didn’t say a word. He knocked me down on the ground and strangled me. He jammed his fingers down my throat so I couldn’t scream. I was knocked unconscious. I believe he raped me."

"He didn’t do it to a stranger," she added. "He knows me."

At the press conference on Wednesday, Essig said the 81-year-old woman awoke to a noise in her living room, and upon entering her living room, she observed her neighbor in her apartment. 

The suspect began to choke and punch her until she lost consciousness. When she was treated at the local hospital, it was discovered that she had a dislocated jaw and various clothing items were missing. Detectives from the Special Victims Division were quickly able to apprehend Johnson, Essig added.  

Johnson’s nine prior arrests. He pleaded guilty and served one year for sexually abusing a five-year-old girl in August 2006 – that crime for which he became a registered sex offender. 

Johnson was also arrested in August 2021 for strangulation, in March 2003 for an assault, in June 1995 for an attempted murder for which he pleaded guilty to assault, in February 1994 for grand larceny, and three more arrests in January, March and September 1991 for grand larceny and assault, Essig said. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-sex-offender-9-prior-arrests-accused-beating-raping-81-year-old-neighbor-despicable-attack

A 17-year-old girl was fatally shot in Brooklyn, New York, Wednesday evening while sitting outside of her apartment building with a group of friends. 

The group was reportedly approached by two suspects on scooters who opened fire, shooting the girl in the face. She was rushed to a hospital where she was pronounced dead. 

The suspects fled the scene northbound from the 1200 block of Eastern Parkway in Crown Heights. 

No arrests have been made and no suspect description has been given others than they were men wearing dark clothing. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-girl-17-fatally-shot-outside-brooklyn-apartment-suspects-large