Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common


Myles
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

Self inflicted situation in Portland.   It amazes me that people accept this.  

Almost as bad here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, DieChecker said:

I always thought it was the promise of entitlements. 

Democrats in Oregon are now promising to clean up the trash filled streets, to reduce homelessness, to reduce drug use on the streets, and to be tough on crime. But two years ago they CREATED the homeless crisis, and by reducing cleanup services, CREATED the piles of trash everywhere, and by passing decriminalization of drugs, CREATED the current drug use spike, and by Defunding the Metro Police... CREATED the current violent crime spike.

But, but, but... NOW they're going to fix it. Now they're repeating what the GOP candidates have been saying for two years.

Because thier policies have failed.

Dems tend to, or seem to tend to, live in a fantasy, where the feel good policies they dreamed up will fix all social and financial issues. And ignore what economics, common sense and self preservation, would seem to suggest.

Hire more therapists and fire police. Well police got fired, but no therapists showed up. And criminals didn't turn to therapy. They took advantage of less cops, and longer response times.

Build tiny homes and the homeless will be fixed. Except most hard-core homeless are very mentally ill, or drug addicted, or both. And so the tiny villages sit half empty with still thousands living in cardboard shacks with five foot heaps of trash coving the sidewalks and streets.

Things that don't work, WONT work. What is needed is policies that will work. Even if they seem to infringe on the rights of those are ruining the city, and world, for the rest of us.

Maybe take the homeless and offer each a one way flight to Hawaii. 

These are problems inherent in all our major cities, whether run by Dems or Rubs.  If either party had solutions, they would quickly e adopted by all major cities.  It is a function of size, not of political party in charge.

https://watermark.silverchair.com/124-1-399.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAuwwggLoBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggLZMIIC1QIBADCCAs4GCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMiuWpzyjmqqS0UFxzAgEQgIICn-zz7Rka7Bx8EzkmQS5TMx8S_eiDvUqFUf6rO8cPX45be5kj8FlkOB0Ztu-FH3p0hrB6L6TH_-p-ApwfL-_CU_8wJC6Qq2oZ_P8vRShqoMDRnRBF5xEaiSAMZ180xoba738Y1Y-sm_85tHnaZbdmR0wvN25Cn4P0iLi_A8OglAS1tGvE5E5c0zS4qxtFar_m9buycOf2vJrCid4Sd9ZaQ_F0tJJBrg8iDUmd7ZM6ZKWK9rA5OYqA3lMGRtQ4ycsEguVUzY168UCPfecSDsuID3-Y38nwDvaAhRKNiTXO48zJiHK4NIGoGIgtRZdTIKMskxlMDBSuuoU4aLxhfXxNKn2AqTp66SIw1_9IZvXIbyJLs4m4EPfZ2qXG5Jd6tUYpDtmGnt7C7y7lwDSShxiqgE__Hh91MqOTfL1t34oY6r6WtPWsLHLcLknZhs8U1VUlUYLw263Qz5agFMpYN_BR9esEI6GJe2V23ctYbmdq1YJSN85CkQ8R-1W4X9TgoEESnxu3dilG63sI07ji-Rys24_Hml9Dx09q7u05URohKYGA9nmr9xbPkv92SZRTKF__3LARoXnkeynRmGjn5EMlwwddGaGMz96-riyT2NUWD3avfMvg9oTAHyEkEv_9wMZgkxOlWlg-eCy5gMZ438wvyyY29E0Q7jy1sdKYsnR-bouI3N2ZB8F-3yFFU-B2dWJAs7OLHGCrHKXWUv19WzVVwjoLsjnOeXnv_MQ7Re_lbuwaw8q9f0OdJEwEFOFjY6T48KuYnPG1YgwBQOyHPVnzKAvrm88UTduwf0RbsYH432mh7ufH9iy8Qp465rr7DkRnepXXemXAPVKkmOy0L7dQLPIu1ND7pa_5Hb8KhBnlp-TeAhC57IIsFv4RnsupX1ir

 

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1745-9125.2003.tb01015.x

 

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=lgi5BgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq=city+political+party+and+crime&ots=n4WiQ6lH2d&sig=uwDVdJXnvUr6q7zAYGAFCP463_4#v=onepage&q=city political party and crime&f=false

 

There is a dynamic here that encourages aberrant behavior and discourages solutions:  if a behavior is abhorrent to most people, then political power goes to the person who claims he/she can control it.  But if he/she actually does control it, then their power is reduced.  So the mayor/person-in-charge has to keep the behavior going.  Doesn't matter who's in charge, they have to appease those who want the aberrant behavior.  Political party has little to do with this dynamic.

Doug

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

These are problems inherent in all our major cities, whether run by Dems or Rubs.  If either party had solutions, they would quickly e adopted by all major cities.  It is a function of size, not of political party in charge.

https://watermark.silverchair.com/124-1-399.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAuwwggLoBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggLZMIIC1QIBADCCAs4GCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMiuWpzyjmqqS0UFxzAgEQgIICn-zz7Rka7Bx8EzkmQS5TMx8S_eiDvUqFUf6rO8cPX45be5kj8FlkOB0Ztu-FH3p0hrB6L6TH_-p-ApwfL-_CU_8wJC6Qq2oZ_P8vRShqoMDRnRBF5xEaiSAMZ180xoba738Y1Y-sm_85tHnaZbdmR0wvN25Cn4P0iLi_A8OglAS1tGvE5E5c0zS4qxtFar_m9buycOf2vJrCid4Sd9ZaQ_F0tJJBrg8iDUmd7ZM6ZKWK9rA5OYqA3lMGRtQ4ycsEguVUzY168UCPfecSDsuID3-Y38nwDvaAhRKNiTXO48zJiHK4NIGoGIgtRZdTIKMskxlMDBSuuoU4aLxhfXxNKn2AqTp66SIw1_9IZvXIbyJLs4m4EPfZ2qXG5Jd6tUYpDtmGnt7C7y7lwDSShxiqgE__Hh91MqOTfL1t34oY6r6WtPWsLHLcLknZhs8U1VUlUYLw263Qz5agFMpYN_BR9esEI6GJe2V23ctYbmdq1YJSN85CkQ8R-1W4X9TgoEESnxu3dilG63sI07ji-Rys24_Hml9Dx09q7u05URohKYGA9nmr9xbPkv92SZRTKF__3LARoXnkeynRmGjn5EMlwwddGaGMz96-riyT2NUWD3avfMvg9oTAHyEkEv_9wMZgkxOlWlg-eCy5gMZ438wvyyY29E0Q7jy1sdKYsnR-bouI3N2ZB8F-3yFFU-B2dWJAs7OLHGCrHKXWUv19WzVVwjoLsjnOeXnv_MQ7Re_lbuwaw8q9f0OdJEwEFOFjY6T48KuYnPG1YgwBQOyHPVnzKAvrm88UTduwf0RbsYH432mh7ufH9iy8Qp465rr7DkRnepXXemXAPVKkmOy0L7dQLPIu1ND7pa_5Hb8KhBnlp-TeAhC57IIsFv4RnsupX1ir

 

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1745-9125.2003.tb01015.x

 

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=lgi5BgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq=city+political+party+and+crime&ots=n4WiQ6lH2d&sig=uwDVdJXnvUr6q7zAYGAFCP463_4#v=onepage&q=city political party and crime&f=false

 

There is a dynamic here that encourages aberrant behavior and discourages solutions:  if a behavior is abhorrent to most people, then political power goes to the person who claims he/she can control it.  But if he/she actually does control it, then their power is reduced.  So the mayor/person-in-charge has to keep the behavior going.  Doesn't matter who's in charge, they have to appease those who want the aberrant behavior.  Political party has little to do with this dynamic.

Doug

Except that the vast majority of these crime infested big cities are Democrat run and have been for a long time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

These are problems inherent in all our major cities, whether run by Dems or Rubs.  If either party had solutions, they would quickly e adopted by all major cities.  It is a function of size, not of political party in charge.

https://watermark.silverchair.com/124-1-399.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAuwwggLoBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggLZMIIC1QIBADCCAs4GCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMiuWpzyjmqqS0UFxzAgEQgIICn-zz7Rka7Bx8EzkmQS5TMx8S_eiDvUqFUf6rO8cPX45be5kj8FlkOB0Ztu-FH3p0hrB6L6TH_-p-ApwfL-_CU_8wJC6Qq2oZ_P8vRShqoMDRnRBF5xEaiSAMZ180xoba738Y1Y-sm_85tHnaZbdmR0wvN25Cn4P0iLi_A8OglAS1tGvE5E5c0zS4qxtFar_m9buycOf2vJrCid4Sd9ZaQ_F0tJJBrg8iDUmd7ZM6ZKWK9rA5OYqA3lMGRtQ4ycsEguVUzY168UCPfecSDsuID3-Y38nwDvaAhRKNiTXO48zJiHK4NIGoGIgtRZdTIKMskxlMDBSuuoU4aLxhfXxNKn2AqTp66SIw1_9IZvXIbyJLs4m4EPfZ2qXG5Jd6tUYpDtmGnt7C7y7lwDSShxiqgE__Hh91MqOTfL1t34oY6r6WtPWsLHLcLknZhs8U1VUlUYLw263Qz5agFMpYN_BR9esEI6GJe2V23ctYbmdq1YJSN85CkQ8R-1W4X9TgoEESnxu3dilG63sI07ji-Rys24_Hml9Dx09q7u05URohKYGA9nmr9xbPkv92SZRTKF__3LARoXnkeynRmGjn5EMlwwddGaGMz96-riyT2NUWD3avfMvg9oTAHyEkEv_9wMZgkxOlWlg-eCy5gMZ438wvyyY29E0Q7jy1sdKYsnR-bouI3N2ZB8F-3yFFU-B2dWJAs7OLHGCrHKXWUv19WzVVwjoLsjnOeXnv_MQ7Re_lbuwaw8q9f0OdJEwEFOFjY6T48KuYnPG1YgwBQOyHPVnzKAvrm88UTduwf0RbsYH432mh7ufH9iy8Qp465rr7DkRnepXXemXAPVKkmOy0L7dQLPIu1ND7pa_5Hb8KhBnlp-TeAhC57IIsFv4RnsupX1ir

 

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1745-9125.2003.tb01015.x

 

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=lgi5BgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq=city+political+party+and+crime&ots=n4WiQ6lH2d&sig=uwDVdJXnvUr6q7zAYGAFCP463_4#v=onepage&q=city political party and crime&f=false

 

There is a dynamic here that encourages aberrant behavior and discourages solutions:  if a behavior is abhorrent to most people, then political power goes to the person who claims he/she can control it.  But if he/she actually does control it, then their power is reduced.  So the mayor/person-in-charge has to keep the behavior going.  Doesn't matter who's in charge, they have to appease those who want the aberrant behavior.  Political party has little to do with this dynamic.

Doug

That's bull.  My city councils policies are how it got so out of hand.  There are few democrats though, they are dominated mainly by socialists.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want to know which cities across the U.S. are buying bus tickets for their homeless and sending them to Albuquerque?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Except that the vast majority of these crime infested big cities are Democrat run and have been for a long time.

Ever look at statistics on violent crime across states in America?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Except that the vast majority of these crime infested big cities are Democrat run and have been for a long time.

That's because most big cities don't vote for Republican losers.

 

It has nothing to do with politics and eveything to do with size of the city.

Doug

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Ever look at statistics on violent crime across states in America?  

Violent crime follows poverty in those cases, which should be expected.  But some of the most violent crime filled cities are wealthy cities in wealthy states.  It's a conundrum for sure.  What I see in my own wealthy city, who's crime has reached intolerable levels is that those in office have set policies that they believe are tolerant and right but which in reality makes things worse.  These same people are such idealists that they refuse to admit they are making things worse. They see a problem such as we have too many people in jail for drugs so they think the answer is to not allow the police to take drugs from people.  Of course the result is epidemics of drugs being used on the streets creating crime to fund the purchase of the drugs. Those council persons are so sure that because they're intentions are pure so are they're actions.  But their actions are foolish.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

That's because most big cities don't vote for Republican losers.

 

It has nothing to do with politics and eveything to do with size of the city.

Doug

BULL.  It has to do with policies.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I want to know which cities across the U.S. are buying bus tickets for their homeless and sending them to Albuquerque?   

https://newmexiconewsport.com/are-other-states-sending-their-homeless-to-abq/

Here is an article.  It just says from nearby states.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

https://newmexiconewsport.com/are-other-states-sending-their-homeless-to-abq/

Here is an article.  It just says from nearby states.

Yeah, I did a search and there are so many articles about why and who does this.  It is ugly and useless, as all a city that does this is doing is the same as dumping their trash in their neighbor's yard.   Not saying these people are trash, I'm saying that they are shoving their problems on others with no remorse or conscioussness that these are humans and that other smaller cities have fewer resources.    And one article talked about San Francisco calling the cities they were sending people to to verify that there were resources for them when they got there, I suspect that is bull***t, even so, the article also said that checking on these people a few months later found that only a small percentage were better off in some way, and a large percentage had returned to San Francisco and were still homeless.   Of course NY city, Portland, and Seattle don't call anyone, they just give the people bus tickets to leave town.    Problem Not Solved, just shoved under someone else's carpet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

So name an anti-crime policy that has worked in a Republican-run city.

Doug

I can't do that, as I don't live there and can't name, off hand a republican city at the top of the list of big cities with out of control crime like Chicago, LA, or New York.  What I experience is that high crime rates are exasperated by poor policies.  Name a big city with a high crime rate run by republicans and you can probably look at the policies that explain the crime rates.  From my experience the key to growing crime in your city is to tolerate it especially at the level of the prosecutors office and the judicial bench and that is what we do here and in Portland and the other bigger cities I've named.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

These are problems inherent in all our major cities, whether run by Dems or Rubs.  If either party had solutions, they would quickly e adopted by all major cities.  It is a function of size, not of political party in charge.

https://watermark.silverchair.com/124-1-399.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAuwwggLoBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggLZMIIC1QIBADCCAs4GCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMiuWpzyjmqqS0UFxzAgEQgIICn-zz7Rka7Bx8EzkmQS5TMx8S_eiDvUqFUf6rO8cPX45be5kj8FlkOB0Ztu-FH3p0hrB6L6TH_-p-ApwfL-_CU_8wJC6Qq2oZ_P8vRShqoMDRnRBF5xEaiSAMZ180xoba738Y1Y-sm_85tHnaZbdmR0wvN25Cn4P0iLi_A8OglAS1tGvE5E5c0zS4qxtFar_m9buycOf2vJrCid4Sd9ZaQ_F0tJJBrg8iDUmd7ZM6ZKWK9rA5OYqA3lMGRtQ4ycsEguVUzY168UCPfecSDsuID3-Y38nwDvaAhRKNiTXO48zJiHK4NIGoGIgtRZdTIKMskxlMDBSuuoU4aLxhfXxNKn2AqTp66SIw1_9IZvXIbyJLs4m4EPfZ2qXG5Jd6tUYpDtmGnt7C7y7lwDSShxiqgE__Hh91MqOTfL1t34oY6r6WtPWsLHLcLknZhs8U1VUlUYLw263Qz5agFMpYN_BR9esEI6GJe2V23ctYbmdq1YJSN85CkQ8R-1W4X9TgoEESnxu3dilG63sI07ji-Rys24_Hml9Dx09q7u05URohKYGA9nmr9xbPkv92SZRTKF__3LARoXnkeynRmGjn5EMlwwddGaGMz96-riyT2NUWD3avfMvg9oTAHyEkEv_9wMZgkxOlWlg-eCy5gMZ438wvyyY29E0Q7jy1sdKYsnR-bouI3N2ZB8F-3yFFU-B2dWJAs7OLHGCrHKXWUv19WzVVwjoLsjnOeXnv_MQ7Re_lbuwaw8q9f0OdJEwEFOFjY6T48KuYnPG1YgwBQOyHPVnzKAvrm88UTduwf0RbsYH432mh7ufH9iy8Qp465rr7DkRnepXXemXAPVKkmOy0L7dQLPIu1ND7pa_5Hb8KhBnlp-TeAhC57IIsFv4RnsupX1ir

 

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1745-9125.2003.tb01015.x

 

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=lgi5BgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq=city+political+party+and+crime&ots=n4WiQ6lH2d&sig=uwDVdJXnvUr6q7zAYGAFCP463_4#v=onepage&q=city political party and crime&f=false

 

There is a dynamic here that encourages aberrant behavior and discourages solutions:  if a behavior is abhorrent to most people, then political power goes to the person who claims he/she can control it.  But if he/she actually does control it, then their power is reduced.  So the mayor/person-in-charge has to keep the behavior going.  Doesn't matter who's in charge, they have to appease those who want the aberrant behavior.  Political party has little to do with this dynamic.

Doug

Except this thread and my last post, were not about violence, or murders, though those are up. It's about Quality of Life, and how not punishing minor crimes ruins a city for the common citizen.

Did you read my linked article? The store closed because they've been robbed so often they couldn't pay the bills. And insurance stopped paying, or they stopped submitting the thefts, because the cost of insurance would, again, render the business unworkable.

This is the result of liberal tolerance of minor crimes. Sure a zero tolerance puts lots of minor criminals in prison and a felony record, but the stores stayed open, and the people shopping felt safe.

Your first statement... That if things worked they'd be adopted everywhere is demonstratably not true. Bias partisans make sure their ideology is what rules and not effectiveness. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing these issues.

NYC adopted such policies, and no bail requirements and saw the same people arrested dozens of times. And each time knowing they'll just be released, and case dismissed. It's plain stupid, but sells to the far left.

Everytime crime comes up the left trots out that Red states kill more people, while smugly denying anything is wrong in the urban centers.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

So name an anti-crime policy that has worked in a Republican-run city.

Doug

I think Republican run cities didn't "Defund" the police, and so don't have the staffing issues Dem cities have. I imagine the "racist" cops all fled to the Red cities.

I've read that stand your ground laws led to more people dying, but that much of that was the criminals, not ONLY the victims.

It's true Red cities/towns move along the homeless. So then they end up at the Dem coddlers cities and start trashing the place. What works better... moving along and happy citizens, or coddling and angry citizens? Obviously homelessness is a problem. But Dems aren't fixing it any better then anyone else.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/11/04/democrat-run-cities-counties-have-a-murder-problem-report-shows/

Isn't it AMAZING!! If you decriminalize specific crimes, it looks like crime is going down. When what is actually happening is that livability of the city goes to hell. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/democrats-tried-pre-empt-gops-soft-crime-attacks-may-not-work-rcna51023

Quote

Democrats try to pre-empt the GOP's 'soft on crime' attacks. It may not work.

Hey Doug...

Find me ONE article about how Democrats are angry that Republicans are soft on crime? If the issue crosses parties, it shouldn't be too hard.

Edited by DieChecker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

So name an anti-crime policy that has worked in a Republican-run city.

Doug

What happen in NYC under Rudy Giuliani is well studied and obviously worked.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2007/sep/01/how-much-credit-giuliani-due-fighting-crime/

Even if you don't want to accept Giuliani helped much, the article above said...

Quote

Rather, many criminologists believe the decline in New York, as in Chicago, San Diego, Miami and elsewhere, was the result of a complex mix of social and demographic changes, including a break in the crack cocaine epidemic, an improving economy, and increased prison terms for proven lawbreakers.

Better policing tactics and policies were likely part of it, experts say, but not to the extent Giuliani claims.

Quote

More pointedly, Giuliani instituted a zero-tolerance approach to crime-fighting, which allowed police to stop and frisk suspicious people and make arrests for minor infractions that once had been ignored. This approach was based on a theory called "Broken Windows," by criminologists George Kelling and James Q. Wilson, which contends that low-level disorder leads to increased blight and crime. Cracking down on minor offenses such as loitering, prostitution and aggressive panhandling is the way to prevent more serious ones.

"I was criticized for being too aggressive about the enforcement of the laws ... but the reality is, I began with the city that was the crime capital of America," Giuliani told Fox News Sunday in May. "When I left it was the safest large city in America. You don't do that by not aggressively enforcing the laws."

A 2001 study by Kelling and William Sousa, published by the conservative Manhattan Institute, supported Giuliani's application of the Broken Windows theory, and it noted the increase in misdemeanor arrests in the 1990s correlated with New York's decrease in homicides.

Ignoring minor crime is just flat stupid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DieChecker said:

What happen in NYC under Rudy Giuliani is well studied and obviously worked.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2007/sep/01/how-much-credit-giuliani-due-fighting-crime/

Even if you don't want to accept Giuliani helped much, the article above said...

Ignoring minor crime is just flat stupid.

Yep, because minor crimes lead to major crimes.  I don't believe the Democrats truly believe their policies will be effective, I think it is more vote grabs.  And idiots keep voting for them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

I can't do that, as I don't live there and can't name, off hand a republican city at the top of the list of big cities with out of control crime like Chicago, LA, or New York.  What I experience is that high crime rates are exasperated by poor policies.  Name a big city with a high crime rate run by republicans and you can probably look at the policies that explain the crime rates.  From my experience the key to growing crime in your city is to tolerate it especially at the level of the prosecutors office and the judicial bench and that is what we do here and in Portland and the other bigger cities I've named.

The reason that crime rates do not correlate with political leadership is that big Republican-led cities have very much the same crime rates as big Democrat-led cities.  The problems are those of city size, not party holding the mayor's chair.

Let's suppose that a city that had a high crime rate and was run by Democrats suddenly had a change of management - the Republicans won the election.  Would that suddenly mean the crime rates dropped?  No.  It would take time for any policy to take effect.  Same thing works if Democrats booted out the Republicans.  It would take time for changes to take effect.  So how long is that time frame?  This is just one question that must be answered before you can actually say there is a difference in crime rates.  And there are others.

 

Here are some interesting crime statistics:

https://www.thetrace.org/2021/12/gun-violence-data-stats-2021/

Note that between 2014 and 2021, gun-caused deaths, excluding suicide, rose from about 12,000 per year to over 20,000 per year.

There were 693 mass shootings in the US in 2021, an increase of 13.4% over 2020.  And that's less than 6% of the total gun deaths.

 

If Republicans really cared about crime, they'd do something about guns.

Doug

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

The reason that crime rates do not correlate with political leadership is that big Republican-led cities have very much the same crime rates as big Democrat-led cities.  The problems are those of city size, not party holding the mayor's chair.

Let's suppose that a city that had a high crime rate and was run by Democrats suddenly had a change of management - the Republicans won the election.  Would that suddenly mean the crime rates dropped?  No.  It would take time for any policy to take effect.  Same thing works if Democrats booted out the Republicans.  It would take time for changes to take effect.  So how long is that time frame?  This is just one question that must be answered before you can actually say there is a difference in crime rates.  And there are others.

 

Here are some interesting crime statistics:

https://www.thetrace.org/2021/12/gun-violence-data-stats-2021/

Note that between 2014 and 2021, gun-caused deaths, excluding suicide, rose from about 12,000 per year to over 20,000 per year.

There were 693 mass shootings in the US in 2021, an increase of 13.4% over 2020.  And that's less than 6% of the total gun deaths.

 

If Republicans really cared about crime, they'd do something about guns.

Doug

 

It’s nice that your opinion is equal to my real world experience. Factually Seattle and Portland are small cities run by well meaning democratic socialists with crime rates equal to big cities. Our heavily democratic state has taken all kinds of anti gun measures and yet gun crime is skyrocketing. The reason is because they don’t keep people with criminal records in jail or often even bother to prosecute them.  For some reason they and their constituents are convinced that a little compassion will work better than enforcing laws despite the fast decline under their directorship.
Have a nice day 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

The reason that crime rates do not correlate with political leadership is that big Republican-led cities have very much the same crime rates as big Democrat-led cities.  The problems are those of city size, not party holding the mayor's chair.

Let's suppose that a city that had a high crime rate and was run by Democrats suddenly had a change of management - the Republicans won the election.  Would that suddenly mean the crime rates dropped?  No.  It would take time for any policy to take effect.  

 

 

 

Been about 100 years since the Democrats took over Chicago.  I guess that is not long enough for the Democrat policies to take effect as crime is getting worse as we speak.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, OverSword said:

It’s nice that your opinion is equal to my real world experience. Factually Seattle and Portland are small cities run by well meaning democratic socialists with crime rates equal to big cities. Our heavily democratic state has taken all kinds of anti gun measures and yet gun crime is skyrocketing. The reason is because they don’t keep people with criminal records in jail or often even bother to prosecute them.  For some reason they and their constituents are convinced that a little compassion will work better than enforcing laws despite the fast decline under their directorship.
Have a nice day 

I didn't think Portland and Seattle are really small cities, but I looked it up and was wrong.   Albuquerque is smaller than either but we have a republican mayor and we are always hearing how Albuquerque is 4th in crime in the country, but when I look at the statistics, it doesn't show that.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I didn't think Portland and Seattle are really small cities, but I looked it up and was wrong.   Albuquerque is smaller than either but we have a republican mayor and we are always hearing how Albuquerque is 4th in crime in the country, but when I look at the statistics, it doesn't show that.  

 

What does it show?  Do you also have gun crime growing out of control?  I wake up to at least three shootings on the news every morning.

Edited by OverSword
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

It’s nice that your opinion is equal to my real world experience. Factually Seattle and Portland are small cities run by well meaning democratic socialists with crime rates equal to big cities. Our heavily democratic state has taken all kinds of anti gun measures and yet gun crime is skyrocketing. The reason is because they don’t keep people with criminal records in jail or often even bother to prosecute them.  For some reason they and their constituents are convinced that a little compassion will work better than enforcing laws despite the fast decline under their directorship.
Have a nice day 

Let's see some real research on this topic.  Opinions and "real world experience (biased sampling)" don't prove much of anything.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

Been about 100 years since the Democrats took over Chicago.  I guess that is not long enough for the Democrat policies to take effect as crime is getting worse as we speak.  

Probably.  But how long does a transition take?

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

What does it show?  Do you also have gun crime growing out of control?  I wake up to at least three shootings on the news every morning.

We used to have less than 20 murders a year, now it is over 100 for 2021, most shootings.   But other gun crimes, no, that has not changed.    Before most of the gun crimes were done by the police shooting a knife weilder, or an unarmed person, (once even a man sitting in a tree crying was shot by two police officers)  and that hasn't changed.  We still have that, most recently 3 armed police shooting a guy with a machete (all 3 of them opening fire on the guy like they were in a video game or something).   Lack of training is rampant in our police departments.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.