Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting and looting becoming more common


Myles
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I think part of the problem is that a years wages for what a single guard costs exceeds the cost of losses and damages these smash and grab incidents accrue.  General shop lifting takes far more than this annually.  It's a money thing and businesses would rather the public and the police departments shoulder the cost.  Like I said before there was/is almost a 0% prosecution rate for retail theft (smash and grab and shoplifting) so turning this into a public outrage very well might change that.

You'd not need to prosecute the robbers. Just pop them with the bean bag and yell, "And don't come back!", and they probably won't be back. A huge painful bruise will likely convince them to seek easier stores to raid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Like I said before there was/is almost a 0% prosecution rate for retail theft (smash and grab and shoplifting) so turning this into a public outrage very well might change that.

It always depended on how much the merchandise is/was worth and in which cities. After those idiot politicians clamored to defund the police they are rethinking their stance. They are 100% responsible for every murder that has been committed in their cities. Of course, "petty" crimes like smash and grabs don't hold a candle to the grief of the families who have lost loved ones.

 

14 arrests made in Los Angeles smash-and-grab style crimes

Since late November there have been 11 incidents involving groups of people who have run into stores and stolen more than $330,000 worth of goods.

cont...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/14-arrests-made-los-angeles-smash-grab-style-crimes-rcna7495

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It always depended on how much the merchandise is/was worth and in which cities. After those idiot politicians clamored to defund the police they are rethinking their stance. They are 100% responsible for every murder that has been committed in their cities. Of course, "petty" crimes like smash and grabs don't hold a candle to the grief of the families who have lost loved ones.

 

14 arrests made in Los Angeles smash-and-grab style crimes

Since late November there have been 11 incidents involving groups of people who have run into stores and stolen more than $330,000 worth of goods.

cont...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/14-arrests-made-los-angeles-smash-grab-style-crimes-rcna7495

 

Police really don't do much to stop murders- they just arrest people after they do it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Police really don't do much to stop murders- they just arrest people after they do it.

It would help if the wouldn't let murderers out time after time on such a small amount of bail while awaiting trial. The police are sick and tired as h**l over them getting out before the paperwork on their arrest is even done.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It would help if the wouldn't let murderers out time after time on such a small amount of bail while awaiting trial. The police are sick and tired as h**l over them getting out before the paperwork on their arrest is even done.

You have to blame our Constitution for that- Until they are found guilty by a jury of their peers, they are as innocent as you and I.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

You'd not need to prosecute the robbers. Just pop them with the bean bag and yell, "And don't come back!", and they probably won't be back. A huge painful bruise will likely convince them to seek easier stores to raid.

You’d be done for assault “Iwasn’t robbing the place, I was trying to prevent the robbery” or some such, and as there’s no way to prove it one way or the other and with the hostile media we have these days, you’d be out of business at best. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You’d be done for assault “Iwasn’t robbing the place, I was trying to prevent the robbery” or some such, and as there’s no way to prove it one way or the other and with the hostile media we have these days, you’d be out of business at best. 

Probably true. Especially if the robbers are a Protected Class (Minority).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

You have to blame our Constitution for that- Until they are found guilty by a jury of their peers, they are as innocent as you and I.

It doesn't have anything to do with the constitution. Depending on the severity of the crime and the persons rap sheet judges have full authority to place bail as high or a low as they please. That is why the guy who drove through the Christmas parade got out for assault with a deadly weapon and $100 bail with such a long rap sheet. The judge was a fool and there are no laws against that...even though there should be.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gromdor said:

You have to blame our Constitution for that- Until they are found guilty by a jury of their peers, they are as innocent as you and I.

Well there's innocent, and "innocent", where a half billion people saw him do it on TV. One there's doubt. With the other it's basically what level of punishment will there be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DieChecker said:

Well there's innocent, and "innocent", where a half billion people saw him do it on TV. One there's doubt. With the other it's basically what level of punishment will there be.

We can't go by that logic or Rittenhouse would be in jail today and lynchings more common.  It's too easy to manipulate both media and the populace.  It's why we have trials in the first place.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Michelle said:

It doesn't have anything to do with the constitution. Depending on the severity of the crime and the persons rap sheet judges have full authority to place bail as high or a low as they please. That is why the guy who drove through the Christmas parade got out for assault with a deadly weapon and $100 bail with such a long rap sheet. The judge was a fool and there are no laws against that...even though there should be.

This is absolutely correct.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

We can't go by that logic or Rittenhouse would be in jail today and lynchings more common.  It's too easy to manipulate both media and the populace.  It's why we have trials in the first place.

I was about to edit my post. To say though technically innocent, the likelihood of guilty is pretty high.

Technically many on Twitter have said he's going to be made to pay, because they think he is absolutely guilty. The lynchings are online, but very public, these days. And its not a one sided thing. 

Edited by DieChecker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2021 at 3:11 PM, DieChecker said:

Probably true. Especially if the robbers are a Protected Class (Minority).

Hi Diechecker

I think that if it was one guy trying to rob the place then next time he might come with a buddy so processing them not matter how futile it may seem is the way to deal with it. Bullet proof cages around the counters and mag door locks to keep them in the store till the cops come would likely be safer if there are no other customers in the store at the time that could be used as hostages.

Edited by jmccr8
not sure
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This kind of thing seems to be happening more frequently as well.   They need to catch these thugs and throw them in jail for years.

A man was caught on video forcefully robbing an 85-year-old woman in New York City – pulling her by her cane and dragging her to the ground, according to police and surveillance footage.  

The woman was inside an elevator at a residential building on East 149th Street and Morris Avenue in the Bronx around 3:10 p.m. Sunday when the stranger walked in, police said. Surveillance video provided by police shows the man exit the elevator momentarily before reentering and pulling the woman out by her cane.

 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-thief-elderly-woman-cane-robbery-attack-police

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Kudos to this guy.

 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-lyft-driver-shoots-armed-suspects-carjacking

A Philadelphia Lyft driver with a license to carry a firearm shot two suspects who carjacked him on Monday afternoon as last year's record-breaking violence in the city continues to spill over into the new year.

The 38-year-old ride-share driver was rear-ended by another vehicle just after 2:40 p.m. in the 1100 block of North 40th Street

The Lyft driver got out of his car and was approached by a shotgun-wielding suspect, who authorities said opened fire on the victim’s 2011 Infiniti before driving away with the vehicle.

 

Police said the 38-year-old Lyft driver has a valid permit to carry and used his personal weapon to fire at the suspect who took his car. When a second suspect, driving a Honda Accord, allegedly tried to run over the victim, the Lyft driver also shot at him.

Both suspects drove the vehicles away from the scene, according to police, but were later apprehended.

Police located the first suspect in the 4200 block of Parkside Avenue in the Infiniti with a gunshot wound to his chest. The second suspect was found in the 4300 block of Lancaster Avenue in the Honda. He suffered a gunshot wound to the right side of his ribcage.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2021 at 3:56 AM, Myles said:

Seems Washington thinks lessening the penalties will help fight crime.   Idiots.

 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washington-lawmakers-introduce-bill-to-reduce-penalties-for-drive-by-shootings-to-promote-racial-equity

This additional condition to murder has been used exactly one time, in I think 1996.  A local news Podcast, the undivided hosted by Brandi Kruse, interviewed the brother of the man murdered in the driveby in which this sentencing requirement was applied.  It really brings home how some of our anti-racist racist politicians here are focusing on the perpetrator for ideological reasons rather than the victims who don't get a second chance.  Listening to that man talk about his valedictorian, athlete, class president, honor student, BLACK older brother was taken from his family by a kid in the bloods from the same neighborhood with a fully automatic AK that he callously filled with 39 bullets because he thought the car belonged to someone else was heart breaking.  He didn't stop crying the entire interview and his brother died close to 30 years ago.  Of course people like that should never be let out to mix with society again.  Only a mentally ill person would think he should get out or that the law should be changed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More dummies thinking decriminalization will help fight crime.  

Alvin Bragg, a former federal prosecutor sworn in as Manhattan District Attorney on Jan. 1, sent guidance to his office calling for the "decriminalization/non prosecution" for crimes including marijuana possession, turnstile jumping, trespassing, resisting arrest, interfering with an arrest and prostitution. 

Additionally, the guidance says the DA’s office will "not seek carceral sentence other than for homicide" or "class B violent felony in which a deadly weapon causes serious injury, domestic violence felonies" with some exceptions in "extraordinary circumstances."

The memo argues that "reserving incarceration for matters involving significant harm will make us safer."

Bragg’s office also says it will request a maximum of 20 years in prison for all crimes that don’t have a life-in-prison option and will never seek life without parole in any case regardless of how heinous.

Bragg's position on bail is where bail and sentencing guidelines have been lowered in the name of "reform.

 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/manhattan-da-gives-many-misdemeanors-a-pass-even-as-new-mayor-vows-to-combat-growing-crime

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

A 58-year-old career criminal from New York City who was arrested 11 times in 2021 recently called the state’s leftist bail reform laws “great.”

“I’m grateful for [bail reform] because I’m too old to go to jail, I’m way too old, I can’t do it,” Charles Wold told the New York Post during a phone conversation from his mother’s house. 

The career criminal is accused of burglarizing ten businesses in Brooklyn and Manhattan over three months, but every time he was apprehended, he walked, thanks to New York’s bail reform laws, the outlet reports. 

Wold, an admitted drug addict with 32 prior arrests since 1983 – primarily for burglary and theft 

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2022/01/08/career-burglar-calls-new-yorks-radical-bail-reform-laws-great/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2022 at 2:13 PM, Myles said:

Police located the first suspect in the 4200 block of Parkside Avenue in the Infiniti with a gunshot wound to his chest. The second suspect was found in the 4300 block of Lancaster Avenue in the Honda. He suffered a gunshot wound to the right side of his ribcage.

Well, at least it ended on a happy note :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The criminals are hitting trains now.   

 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/train-thieves-downtown-los-angeles

Thieves are digging through train cargo filled with packages in downtown Los Angeles, creating mounds of trash as a result.

CBS 2 Los Angeles photojournalist John Schreiber visited train tracks in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles and described "looted packages as far as the eye can see," including "Amazon packages, UPS boxes, unused Covid tests, fishing lures, epi pens," he said in a Thursday tweet.

Local law enforcement told Schreiber that UPS bags are popular among "thieves opening cargo containers" because "they are often full of boxes with merchandise bound for residential addresses," he said.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

 


 

Quote

Thousands of shredded packages were seen scattered along the tracks of a Los Angeles railway on Thursday, said to be left by thieves who are now looting cargo containers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10401351/Video-captures-thousands-damaged-packages-LA-train-tracks-left-cargo-looters.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

    • Buzz_Light_Year