Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The word ‘woke’ has been weaponised

Eldorado

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Are you old enough to remember the old Equalizer TV show? I didn't hold that against Denzel because I luuuv him and  the movies were so well done. I'm giving Queen Latifa a chance with her new Equalizer TV series, but it's kind of meh.

Yes do remember, in fact you can still catch episodes on satelite TV today. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

But its not about that.

Tell that to the bigots on IMDB. The place is crawling with them.

Another example being Black Widow in the Avengers films, she was one of my favorite characters because she was the only one that used skill rather than superpowers which all the other characters had. 

• Like 4

Just now, zep73 said:

Tell that to the bigots on IMDB. The place is crawling with them.

Bigots..... your words. 

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Bigots..... your words. 

It is. The place is being used as an emotional dumpster. Having a bad day? Go trash a movie on IMDB :D

21 minutes ago, zep73 said:

It is. The place is being used as an emotional dumpster. Having a bad day? Go trash a movie on IMDB :D

Films rarely get universal approval. Some films are only worth trashing. 

4 hours ago, Michelle said:

The stupid is overwhelming! Cancelled a successful woman that got millions if not billions of kids to read.

She has not just been "cancelled", she has been directly threatened and has needed police protection. For saying there are only two biological sexes. Prof Kathleen Stock was driven out of her university teaching role for the same reason. It is terrorism under another name, forcing their agenda on the public, who don't actually wish them any harm :

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

She has not just been "cancelled", she has been directly threatened and has needed police protection. For saying there are only two biological sexes. Prof Kathleen Stock was driven out of her university teaching role for the same reason. It is terrorism under another name, forcing their agenda on the public, who don't actually wish them any harm :

There are idiots in both camps. Be careful not to assign blame too wide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zep73 said:

There are idiots in both camps. Be careful not to assign blame too wide.

Just out of interest, when we give a link to a Tweet, does it give access to the whole Twitter thread?

To respond to your post, I think I am right in saying only one side of the debate (as to whether there are more than two sexes) is militant? The 'only two sex' side is tolerant, and will accept gender roles that people want to identify with. They are not aggressive as far as I know- or am I wrong?

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Just out of interest, when we give a link to a Tweet, does it give access to the whole Twitter thread?

I don't have a Twitter account, so I hit a wall if I try to look.

18 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

To respond to your post, I think I am right in saying only one side of the debate (as to whether there are more than two sexes) is militant? The 'only two sex' side is tolerant, and will accept gender roles that people want to identify with. They are not aggressive as far as I know- or am I wrong?

Thousands of gay and transgender people have been assaulted by right wing extremists the last couple of decades. Just because it doesn't display in public, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But I'm not he to assign blame. I'm here to de-escalate the blame game. (I know it's a lost cause, but I gotta try...)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

I don't have a Twitter account, so I hit a wall if I try to look.

Thousands of gay and transgender people have been assaulted by right wing extremists the last couple of decades. Just because it doesn't display in public, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But I'm not he to assign blame. I'm here to de-escalate the blame game. (I know it's a lost cause, but I gotta try...)

Good point. I'd forgotton "queer-bashing" used to be a "thing". Like "****-bashing" or "Hunt the Barney". It seems to have died out, or at least it doesn't get any attention in my circles.

I recommend Twitter, I only just got an account a few months ago. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Don't you think that has more to do with "skin-suit" programs? Like He-man or Ghostbusters, the new show producers take things that we love and cram them with woke sh!t. I heard in the heman reboot, Heman dies in the first episode, then the show follows a transgender character as the main character

Maybe you should find a new echo chamber.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The problem with wokeness is that the people that practice this new religion are not open to alternative views and spend most of their time trying to stifle those views, i. e. cancel culture. They have become the very thing they accuse others of..... bigots. 

The story today about JK Rowling being a good example. 

Cancel culture is not a new thing or an invention of the left or the young generation.

In early capitalism workers rights were cancelled. In comunism God was cancelled. In USA blacks, gays, muslims, jews were cancelled for a long time. In Europe everything was cancelled by all at some point.

Now, the young generation wants to cancell all cancelletions.

How this is going to end nobody knows.

• Like 2

Ridley Scott has blamed the box office failure of The Last Duel on millennials with mobile phones.

'The 83-year-old said: ‘I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these ****ing cellphones.

‘The millennials… [who] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you’re told it on a cellphone.'

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/23/ridley-scott-blames-the-last-duel-box-office-failure-on-millennials-15648358/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Ridley Scott has blamed the box office failure of The Last Duel on millennials with mobile phones.

'The 83-year-old said: ‘I think what it boils down to — what we’ve got today [are] the audiences who were brought up on these ****ing cellphones.

‘The millennials… [who] do not ever want to be taught anything unless you’re told it on a cellphone.'

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/23/ridley-scott-blames-the-last-duel-box-office-failure-on-millennials-15648358/

Well he's sort of right.

I was quite keen to see it until I picked up my phone and learned it was a bit ****.

• Haha 1

Wokeism is made up of roughly equal parts of: naive idealism, gross ignorance, arrogant entitlement, rank hypocrisy, thuggish bullying & bitter envy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

Any word which triggers conservatives so extremely has got to be a great contribution to human culture.

Br Cornelius

Except according to the article its now triggering the wokesters. :P

And if it was upto the left we wouldn't have any culture. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 1

Guest Br Cornelius
3 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Except according to the article its now triggering the wokesters. :P

Chalk it up to a learning experience for the little dears.
Still seeing all those conservatives in a throthing rage will be their reward. Just so long as they don't bring their guns to the party.

Br Cornelius

2 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

Chalk it up to a learning experience for the little dears.
Still seeing all those conservatives in a throthing rage will be their reward. Just so long as they don't bring their guns to the party.

Br Cornelius

They learn? .... you assume too much. 

• Haha 1

Guest Br Cornelius
Just now, itsnotoutthere said:

They learn? .... you assume too much. 

Not at all, Liberals are statistically better educated and more intelligent than conservatives.

Br Cornelius

5 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

Not at all, Liberals are statistically better educated and more intelligent than conservatives.

Br Cornelius

Except Woke is the antithesis of Liberal. People that are true liberals don't shut down opposing views with the threat of violence, that's what the hard left do. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 2

Guest Br Cornelius
5 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Except Woke is the antithesis of Liberal. People that are true liberals don't shut down opposing views with the threat of violence, that's what the hard left do. 

In your fevered imagination maybe ....

its certainly not the context in which conservatives use the term, woke is to liberals as fascist is to conservatives.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

Just now, Br Cornelius said:

In your fevered imagination maybe ....

Br Cornelius

Come on, be true to yourself, you're hard left not Liberal. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Br Cornelius
Just now, itsnotoutthere said:

Come on, be true to yourself, you're hard left not Liberal. 

..., again in your fevered imagination half the world is hard left :w00t:

Br Cornelius