Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The word ‘woke’ has been weaponised

Eldorado

On 11/22/2021 at 7:09 PM, Setton said:

So you think it doesn't exist?

This is an underrated comment.

21 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

She has not just been "cancelled", she has been directly threatened and has needed police protection. For saying there are only two biological sexes. Prof Kathleen Stock was driven out of her university teaching role for the same reason. It is terrorism under another name, forcing their agenda on the public, who don't actually wish them any harm :

What a non story. Her address is publicly available. It's part of a Harry Potter tour and can be found on Wikipedia.

She's a horrible woman anyway. Quite apart from her misinformed posts on transgenderism, she writes under the penname of Robert Galbraith, a super famous homophobe who pioneered gay conversion therapy. 

She's truly an awful person and, as long as she isn't physically harmed, anything that keeps the troll off Twitter is a good thing. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

What a non story. Her address is publicly available. It's part of a Harry Potter tour and can be found on Wikipedia.

She's a horrible woman anyway. Quite apart from her misinformed posts on transgenderism, she writes under the penname of Robert Galbraith, a super famous homophobe who pioneered gay conversion therapy. 

She's truly an awful person and, as long as she isn't physically harmed, anything that keeps the troll off Twitter is a good thing. 

How interesting. I didn't know about Robert Galbreith. And I assumed she has a "public" address and a private one. I shall look this stuff up, for my own interest.

On 11/22/2021 at 2:28 PM, zep73 said:

The world is many places. Some places it is improving, other places not. It is a constant struggle. Each new generation offers untainted hope and will, and takes it a step further. Some people think it's been taken too far, I guess you are one of them. But it's not our world they are making. It's their own future. And who are we to deny them that?

I agree, totally.  It IS their world they're creating.  My time here is much closer to the end than the beginning.  My concerns are for my daughter and nieces and nephews.  There is nothing wrong with striving to make the world a better place but when we see efforts being undertaken that are clearly echoes of a horrible past, it's incumbent on us to point that out.  Marxist ideology has failed everywhere and every time it has been installed.  It ultimately ends with mass graves.  The main commonality is that every time the people fall victim to its false promises, they are fully convinced that it only failed before, because it wasn't implemented correctly.  

Ultimately, the reality is that human nature is a combination of our higher inclinations being consistently overruled by our baser instincts, lusts, greed... The singers come and go, but the song remains the same.

• Like 3

Guest Br Cornelius
39 minutes ago, and then said:

I agree, totally.  It IS their world they're creating.  My time here is much closer to the end than the beginning.  My concerns are for my daughter and nieces and nephews.  There is nothing wrong with striving to make the world a better place but when we see efforts being undertaken that are clearly echoes of a horrible past, it's incumbent on us to point that out.  Marxist ideology has failed everywhere and every time it has been installed.  It ultimately ends with mass graves.  The main commonality is that every time the people fall victim to its false promises, they are fully convinced that it only failed before, because it wasn't implemented correctly.  

Ultimately, the reality is that human nature is a combination of our higher inclinations being consistently overruled by our baser instincts, lusts, greed... The singers come and go, but the song remains the same.

... and yet every year the human condition improves a little bit. Strange that our baser instincts keep on making life better. If you disagree then find me a child chimney sweep to ask.

Br Cornelius

4 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

... and yet every year the human condition improves a little bit. Strange that our baser instincts keep on making life better. If you disagree then find me a child chimney sweep to ask.

Br Cornelius

1118978596_AYemeniboyposeswithaKalashnikovassaultrifleduringagatheringofnewly-recruitedHuthifightersinthecapitalSanaaJuly2017AFP.thumb.jpg.a0dccd70711d8c29ca9fb65135b1f1c5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 11/22/2021 at 6:47 PM, zep73 said:

It's more than that.
I frequently read reviews on IMDB (coz I watch alotta TV shows), and basically any show with a gay or transgender person, or black or arab lead character, is being called 'woke sh!t'.

But that's what the kids nowaday care about. Equal rights. The end of the stereotype hero.

They're the ones doing reviews on IMDB. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

and yet every year the human condition improves a little bit. Strange that our baser instincts keep on making life better. If you disagree then find me a child chimney sweep to ask.

Instead of cheering removing statues of slave owners why don't you do anything about the slavery still in existence today? Or do you just have to have something to b---- about that gives you an excuse not to make any effort at all. I mean, no one can do anything about the past but preach and moan. 

Today, more than a quarter of the world’s slaves are children. These children are forced to commit commercial sex acts, forced into a system of domestic servitude or employed in occupations that are mentally, physically, socially and morally harmful.

Supply needs and industry demand for cheap, unskilled labor are some of the leading causes of child labor. Specifically, production processes that require certain physical attributes, such as small stature and agility, lead to the employment of children. In addition, price pressures encourage suppliers - especially those at the top of the supply chain - to find the cheapest labor. Poverty leads these children to accept the job, or their parents ask them to work to supplement the family income. These supply and demand factors are reinforced by systemic, structural issues such as lack of access to education, inadequate employment opportunities for the educated, corruption and social stratification.

Today, child labor is present in many industries - from the carpet sector in Afghanistan to the cocoa plantations in the Ivory Coast.

cont...

http://www.endslaverynow.org/learn/slavery-today/child-labor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guest Br Cornelius
1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Instead of cheering removing statues of slave owners why don't you do anything about the slavery still in existence today? Or do you just have to have something to b---- about that gives you an excuse not to make any effort at all. I mean, no one can do anything about the past but preach and moan. 

Today, more than a quarter of the world’s slaves are children. These children are forced to commit commercial sex acts, forced into a system of domestic servitude or employed in occupations that are mentally, physically, socially and morally harmful.

Supply needs and industry demand for cheap, unskilled labor are some of the leading causes of child labor. Specifically, production processes that require certain physical attributes, such as small stature and agility, lead to the employment of children. In addition, price pressures encourage suppliers - especially those at the top of the supply chain - to find the cheapest labor. Poverty leads these children to accept the job, or their parents ask them to work to supplement the family income. These supply and demand factors are reinforced by systemic, structural issues such as lack of access to education, inadequate employment opportunities for the educated, corruption and social stratification.

Today, child labor is present in many industries - from the carpet sector in Afghanistan to the cocoa plantations in the Ivory Coast.

cont...

http://www.endslaverynow.org/learn/slavery-today/child-labor

So whats your point, do you imagine that a conservative government would sweep all that away ? There is no evidence that your beliefs would lead to that outcome.

Br Cornelius

48 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I remember watching a documentary about child labor in the 90's. At that time the issue was heavily debated in western countries, and people were boycotting companies who bought products from factories with child workers. The film crew wanted to show the liberation of the children, as the boycotts took effect, but what they witnessed was a new and worse tragedy happening.
The children, most of them having sick parents, no parents, or parents making too little to feed them, were desperately in need of the money, so they turned to prostitution or drug trading gangs. So they went from bad to much worse. They went from performing tasks to selling their bodies and becoming hardened criminals.

I'm not saying there's anything good about child labor, but before we take their jobs away from them, we need to be damn sure it is replaced with something better.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

There is no evidence that your beliefs would lead to that outcome.

What beliefs? I'm talking about you personally, not the government.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Just now, Br Cornelius said:

Would I be wrong in calling you a conservative.

Br Cornelius

Yes.  I'm an independent who is socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

• Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius
6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Yes.  I'm an independent who is socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

So what point where you trying to make and what made you feel qualified to make that point ?

I make stands on things I know I can influence and child labour is not something i have much control over. I do know however that sustained progressive influence brought about an end to child labour in western countries - in the teeth of conservative resistance. My original comment to AndThen was using this example of progress.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

13 hours ago, and then said:

but when we see efforts being undertaken that are clearly echoes of a horrible past, it's incumbent on us to point that out.  Marxist ideology has failed everywhere and every time it has been installed.

And where in 'wokeism' do you see marxism?

4 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

So what point where you trying to make and what made you feel qualified to make that point ?

You wanted evidence of a child chimney sweep to ask.

6 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

I make stands on things I know I can influence and child labour is not something i have much control over. I do know however that sustained progressive influence brought about an end to child labour in western countries - in the teeth of conservative resistance. My original comment to AndThen was using this example of progress.

You could raise money and/or protest just like others are doing now over perceived systemic racism. Boycott products made from child labor. The biggest child sex slave route goes directly through my city. I donate and support our local police for funds to combat it.

As we have seen in the last five or ten years, "progressive" does not equal Democrats or liberals in any way, shape or form.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

Br Cornelius

It improves for some, in a limited way.  On the whole, I'd argue that humanity's struggles are a continuation of what they've always been.  The differences come from technological advances.  Those have made it possible for massive increases in population which have led to even more stressors.  We are by our very nature a competitive species and we tend to take rather than ask.  

You and I disagree on most issues and that's a limited reflection of what humanity at large, does.  We are tribal and while we can and do cooperate for our mutual benefit, we also have a real problem with long term trust of others.  You often have found fault with my nation, pointed out our sins and crimes and often, you've done so accurately.  What I believe you gloss over or overlook entirely, is the success Americans have had with a system of government that allowed people to be free to rule themselves through a spirit of cooperation.  It worked reasonably well for 200 years.  Today, that spirit of cooperation seems to be in its death throes.  

Those who have aligned themselves with the newest social justice movement are, ironically, going to be what finally brings this nation to its knees.  They believe they are working for a better world when in reality they are working toward the loss of the brightest example of cooperative governance the world has ever known.  The average warrior in this movement is likely ignorant of history but those who are managing and animating these forces understand history well.  They are acting out of a lust for power, as these movement always have done.  By the time they've finished, the term "woke" will be synonymous with all the bitterness of loss that they've caused.

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

And Then, on this as on just about everything else I simple disagree with you analysis of current events.

What is happening in America is the decline of one elite (WASP's) and their replacement by a more diverse elite - and the WASP's are restisting their loss of influence. Its really not much more complex than that.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

10 minutes ago, zep73 said:

And where in 'wokeism' do you see marxism?

The movement is following the same blueprint that Marxists have always used to gain power.  They divide and conquer through the use of racial hatred or class envy.  They stir hatred between groups, create ever worsening economic and social stresses and then use the discord they've wrought to offer the ignorant a "solution".  Your "wokesters" are the mobs that burned and looted cities in the U.S. in 2020.  They've attacked and destroyed individual lives and livelihoods of anyone who disagrees with them.  They've had their efforts magnified by the tech giants and their censorship of "hate" speech (any speech that disagrees with the narrative).

I could go on and on but if those examples aren't enough then a primer in Marxist ideology would be needed first.  Suffice it to say that any movement whose goals are for justice should never use injustices to attain it.  The purveyors of "woke" are just old-fashioned bullies using far more efficient technologies to inflict the pain.

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius
14 minutes ago, Michelle said:

You could raise money and/or protest just like others are doing now over perceived systemic racism. Boycott products made from child labor. The biggest child sex slave route goes directly through my city. I donate and support our local police for funds to combat it.

As we have seen in the last five or ten years, "progressive" does not equal Democrats or liberals in any way, shape or form.

You can do as much as you can - but ultimately real change only happens when we bring pressure on governments to enact laws to make personal actions unnecessary. That is what been a liberal really means.

Br Cornelius

17 minutes ago, and then said:

Your "wokesters" are the mobs that burned and looted cities in the U.S. in 2020.  They've attacked and destroyed individual lives and livelihoods of anyone who disagrees with them.

Or they're just kids letting their emotions get the best of them. The looters were not the crowds, but some individuals within. They did not have a marxist agenda, they were just p!ssed off.

21 minutes ago, and then said:

Suffice it to say that any movement whose goals are for justice should never use injustices to attain it.

Agree. And I am very sure that the majority of protesters are sorry about how it turned out. It wasn't 'wokeism' in action.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Agree. And I am very sure that the majority of protesters are sorry about how it turned out. It wasn't 'wokeism' in action.

I beg to differ. Andy Ngo has been covering these "protests" since the beginning. He has video of the same people from city to city wreaking havoc everywhere they go. And, there are quite a lot of them. They are the main instigators and coach people what to do, what equipment they might need and how not to get caught. Long after those people leave the riots and looting continue much more organized.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I beg to differ. Andy Ngo has been covering these "protests" since the beginning. He has video of the same people from city to city wreaking havoc everywhere they go. And, there are quite a lot of them. They are the main instigators and coach people what to do, what equipment they might need and how not to get caught. Long after those people leave the riots and looting continue much more organized.

Whoever they are, they were abusing the occasion. They are as much enemies of 'woke' as they are of any peaceful citizens.

23 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/jul/24/jk-rowling-robert-galbraith-harry-potter