Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The word ‘woke’ has been weaponised

Eldorado

12 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I know you specified that. Made no difference to my response.

Why do you suggest I lack "intellectual honesty"? I have been honest in expressing the truth as I see it. If I am guilty of anything it is in being generous to you and your view.

Unlikely. You haven't actually bothered to find out my view before deciding you u knew what it must be.

Guest Br Cornelius

It is so funny that people on the right have a tendency to accuse gays and lesbians of been able to choose not to be ( implying that their sexuality is a choice) but if you every asked them to choose to become homosexual they would be incredulous at the suggestion. It's the intellectual honesty of the right which is their defining quality.

Br Cornelius

Despite whatever the term woke is being applied to now. I will keep the 2,000 year old warning to Wake Up or, "I will come upon you as a thief in the night."

36 Bible verses of the Thief in the Night

https://www.openbible.info/topics/as_a_thief_in_the_night

Mark 13

33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.

34 For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.

35 Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:

36 Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.

37 And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch

On 11/23/2021 at 11:26 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

What a non story. Her address is publicly available. It's part of a Harry Potter tour and can be found on Wikipedia.

She's a horrible woman anyway. Quite apart from her misinformed posts on transgenderism, she writes under the penname of Robert Galbraith, a super famous homophobe who pioneered gay conversion therapy. 

She's truly an awful person and, as long as she isn't physically harmed, anything that keeps the troll off Twitter is a good thing. 

This is what JK Rowling Tweeted and caused all the furore:"If sex isn’t real, there’s no same-sex attraction. If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth. The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women—ie, to male violence—‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences—is a nonsense. I respect every trans person’s right to live any way that feels authentic and comfortable to them. I’d march with you if you were discriminated against on the basis of being trans. At the same time, my life has been shaped by being female. I do not believe it’s hateful to say so."

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:17 PM, Br Cornelius said:

... and yet every year the human condition improves a little bit. Strange that our baser instincts keep on making life better. If you disagree then find me a child chimney sweep to ask.

Br Cornelius

Yep.  Something I point out to people all the time.   By every measurable index the world gets better and better.  They never buy it.

• Like 1

I just saw this on another forum:

Just been kicked out of a group for objecting to being referred to as my reproductive organs

Tue 30-Nov-21 15:59:24

Group on Facebook. I was referred to as a “uterus owner”. I objected to this. I’m now banned from the group for being transphobic. Everyone piled on me and if I wasn’t kicked out I would have been leaving anyway. I don’t care what other people want to be called but I will not be referred to as my reproductive organs!! It’s not transphobic to want to be referred to as a woman if you were in fact born female and wish to remain a woman? surely?? Or AIBU?

There were other comments saying women were now being referred to as "chest feeders" or "birthing people".  Funny old world.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

This is what JK Rowling Tweeted and caused all the furore:"If sex isn’t real, there’s no same-sex attraction. If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth. The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women—ie, to male violence—‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences—is a nonsense. I respect every trans person’s right to live any way that feels authentic and comfortable to them. I’d march with you if you were discriminated against on the basis of being trans. At the same time, my life has been shaped by being female. I do not believe it’s hateful to say so."

The irony of an author who doesn’t know the difference between sex and gender. Priceless.

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The irony of an author who doesn’t know the difference between sex and gender. Priceless.

I'm not sure she doesn't. In post #107 someone objected to being referred to as a "uterus owner" rather than a woman. What these "women" (I hope I can use the word in this context) are objecting to is that they feel they are being air-brushed out of existence.

There are magazines currently called Woman's Weekly, Woman's Hour, Woman and Home, The Conservative Lady, etc. It maybe they feel these things are under threat. There are articles titled like "The First Woman in Space", "The Brave Women who fought for the Vote", etc. Will these be banned?

The same thing doesn't seem to be happening to men, or is it? Could we start seeing articles like: "Hillary and Tenzing: the first penis-owners to conquer Everest"?

The same forum raised the question of children having sleep-overs in dorms (school trips, etc). If half a dozen 11 year old girls share a dorm for a weekend, should the parents be told one of the girls has a penis? Or is it no-one's business to know that?  It seems an interesting question.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 1:25 PM, Br Cornelius said:

It is so funny that people on the right have a tendency to accuse gays and lesbians of been able to choose not to be ( implying that their sexuality is a choice) but if you every asked them to choose to become homosexual they would be incredulous at the suggestion. It's the intellectual honesty of the right which is their defining quality.

Br Cornelius

Example !!!

https://thecritic.co.uk/call-a-child-rapist-a-child-rapist/

"Labelling child rapists as “paedophiles” gives the impression that they are suffering from a condition, and that there is some kind of gene that predisposes them to be sexually attracted to children when there is no scientific or other credible evidence to prove this. Men who abuse children need to be stopped, punished and deterred, not treated for the “illness” known as paedophilia."

"The first time I heard the term “Minor-Attracted People/Person” was in an interview with Tom O’Carroll, a key member of the Paedophile Information Exchange who is sexually aroused by pre-pubescent children. O’Carroll told me he thought the German term “kinder” should replace “paedophile” because it “sounds like a kindly Uncle”. The feminist fix for the sanitisation of child sexual abuse is to get rid of all the euphemisms and medicalised terms and to call these individuals child rapists and child abuse apologists."

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

The word woke is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) as follows:

'... Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; ... In later use perhaps popularized through its association with African-American civil rights activism (in recent years particularly the Black Lives Matter movement), ...'

Obviously, woke encompasses a wide spectrum of people, including myself and I'm sure most of you, who are openly sensitive to any kind of racial or social discrimination or injustice and willing to speak out against it. That is something to be encouraged and lauded.

There has to be something wrong with someone who identifies as anti-woke. they are saying that they have no problem with racial or social discrimination and injustice.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

The meanings of words change according to their popular usage.

Regardless of its original or correct meaning, "woke" has come to mean "someone who is acutely sensitive to any perceived prejudice, real or imagined and/or someone who takes offence on behalf of others who are not themselves offended"  (the latter, for example, including those who say we cannot use the word Christmas as it's offensive to Muslims etal - and who, IMO, are themselves guilty of discrimination and offence!)

This meaning becoming popularised in the UK and many other countries before the earlier meaning was widely known.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Essan said:

The meanings of words change according to their popular usage.

Regardless of its original or correct meaning, "woke" has come to mean "someone who is acutely sensitive to any perceived prejudice, real or imagined and/or someone who takes offence on behalf of others who are not themselves offended"  (the latter, for example, including those who say we cannot use the word Christmas as it's offensive to Muslims etal - and who, IMO, are themselves guilty of discrimination and offence!)

This meaning becoming popularised in the UK and many other countries before the earlier meaning was widely known.

Where did you get that definition. For anyone using English - as indeed all on here do - the Oxford English Dictionary defines the meaning of words in English.  

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

The word woke is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) as follows:

'... Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; ... In later use perhaps popularized through its association with African-American civil rights activism (in recent years particularly the Black Lives Matter movement), ...'

Obviously, woke encompasses a wide spectrum of people, including myself and I'm sure most of you, who are openly sensitive to any kind of racial or social discrimination or injustice and willing to speak out against it. That is something to be encouraged and lauded.

There has to be something wrong with someone who identifies as anti-woke. they are saying that they have no problem with racial or social discrimination and injustice.

You've obviously not noticed, but the woke are the very people dishing out the discrimination & injustice, they have become the very thing they claim to be against. J.K Rowling has said that you could wallpaper a room with the death threats she has recieved from the 'woke'

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

You've obviously not noticed, but the woke are the very people dishing out the discrimination & injustice, they have become what they claim to be against. J.K Rowling has said that you could wallpaper a room with the death threats she has recieved from the 'woke'

You've obviously not noticed ...

It is not good to generalise or tar everybody with the one brush. That was the point of my post. I am woke, as are many people, in the sense that the OED defines the word. Most woke people, like me, do not discriminate or perpetrate injustices on others or issue death threats. 

12 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

You've obviously not noticed ...

It is not good to generalise or tar everybody with the one brush. That was the point of my post. I am woke, as are many people, in the sense that the OED defines the word. Most woke people, like me, do not discriminate or perpetrate injustices on others or issue death threats. 

Really???  So who is it that is dishing out all this cancel culture then? No-platforming invited speakers that they don't agree with, sending death threats to famous authors for speaking a scientific fact etc.

We all know what woke culture really is, it's the hard left flexing their muscle via Twtter. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere

2 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Really???  So who is it that is dishing out all this cancel culture then? No-platforming invited speakers that they don't agree with, sending death threats to famous authors for speaking a scientific fact etc.

Idiots, the lot of them. I don't agree with cancel culture. I am all for free speech. Free speech is the cornerstone of a healthy, free and democratic society. If you do not like the message then challenge it, do not attack or silence the messenger. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, zep73 said:

Not with that attitude.

But if we stop striving for a better world, we stop being human. Because that's what we do. Improve, improve, improve.
Sometimes things go backwards, and sometimes they freeze, but giving up is not in our DNA.

I think you are talking about two different things.  We should teach our children to strive for a better world, to recognize all humans as humans first, then base any other opinion on behavior.   The word "fair" is a manipulative word as it is used nowadays.   It was trained by lazy teachers to their students.  Both of my daughters came home from second grade and used that word saying "That's not fair!" when asked to do a chore that they always were expected to do.  Of course the reasonable response to that is "there is no such thing as 'fair'!, do what you are expected to do."   And now You want adults to equate that manipulative phrase with striving for a better world.   A better world is one where children learn to take care of themselves, and know they are responsible for their behavior with no whining.   It seems the age of whining keeps getting older and older.

As long as we have whinging vigilante's claiming they are fighting for equality of a group they don't belong to we will have division called "racism", it perpetuates it, rather than eliminates it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 2:07 PM, zep73 said:

I agree, it's lame. But it's just capitalism at work. They saw a potential new market, and gave it a try.

Yes and sometimes it was a big fat fail, like the ghostbusters where all the main characters were women.   It was lazy and lame.  They could have written a better script for those women, a new story but we get that a lot, a rehash of an old popular story and it is never as good as the original no matter what changes are made to hide the fact that no one wrote a new script, just changed a few things.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think you are talking about two different things.  We should teach our children to strive for a better world, to recognize all humans as humans first, then base any other opinion on behavior.   The word "fair" is a manipulative word as it is used nowadays.   It was trained by lazy teachers to their students.  Both of my daughters came home from second grade and used that word saying "That's not fair!" when asked to do a chore that they always were expected to do.  Of course the reasonable response to that is "there is no such thing as 'fair'!, do what you are expected to do."   And now You want adults to equate that manipulative phrase with striving for a better world.   A better world is one where children learn to take care of themselves, and know they are responsible for their behavior with no whining.   It seems the age of whining keeps getting older and older.

As long as we have whinging vigilante's claiming they are fighting for equality of a group they don't belong to we will have division called "racism", it perpetuates it, rather than eliminates it.

I was talking about accepting people for who they are, inside and outside, and treating them like equals.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I was talking about accepting people for who they are, inside and outside, and treating them like equals. Not about what some spoiled kids nowadays think is fair or not.

Yet you used a spoiled kid phrase, which does not convey what you claim you were talking about.   There is no such thing as "fair" in that context.   Fair might apply to having one kid cut the candy bar in half and letting the other choose which piece to take, but it does not apply in what you claim of accepting people as they are.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yet you used a spoiled kid phrase, which does not convey what you claim you were talking about.

I withdrew it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I withdrew it.

Ok.