Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The word ‘woke’ has been weaponised

Eldorado

Samantha Price, a headteacher from Kent, has called on adults to stop mocking young people for being woke, warning that “if they are consistently dismissed in this way then... they will just give up”.

She’s right. I’m not sure when the term woke became something to scoff at but over the last couple of years especially it has fallen under the same umbrella as terms like snowflake and social justice warrior — basically a way to describe a very whiny and over-sensitive young person.

Opinion piece at MSN

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, and then said:

The easy fix would be for them to grow up and stop behaving like a "very whiny and over-sensitive young person".  It seems they missed that "sticks and stones" memo we all got as children.

It's more than that.
I frequently read reviews on IMDB (coz I watch alotta TV shows), and basically any show with a gay or transgender person, or black or arab lead character, is being called 'woke sh!t'.

But that's what the kids nowaday care about. Equal rights. The end of the stereotype hero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, zep73 said:

But that's what the kids nowaday care about. Equal rights. The end of the stereotype hero.

I wonder who they'll blame when, in 20 years or so they realize the world has never been nor ever will be "fair"?  

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, and then said:

I wonder who they'll blame when, in 20 years or so they realize the world has never been nor ever will be "fair"?  

Not with that attitude.

But if we stop striving for a better world, we stop being human. Because that's what we do. Improve, improve, improve.
Sometimes things go backwards, and sometimes they freeze, but giving up is not in our DNA.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Improve, improve, improve.

Do you truly believe that the world is improving because of the efforts we are seeing today?  If you do, can you please cite an example where some concrete improvement has happened?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Do you truly believe that the world is improving because of the efforts we are seeing today?  If you do, can you please cite an example where some concrete improvement has happened?

The world is many places. Some places it is improving, other places not. It is a constant struggle. Each new generation offers untainted hope and will, and takes it a step further. Some people think it's been taken too far, I guess you are one of them. But it's not our world they are making. It's their own future. And who are we to deny them that?

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

It's more than that.
I frequently read reviews on IMDB (coz I watch alotta TV shows), and basically any show with a gay or transgender person, or black or arab lead character, is being called 'woke sh!t'.

Don't you think that has more to do with "skin-suit" programs? Like He-man or Ghostbusters, the new show producers take things that we love and cram them with woke sh!t. I heard in the heman reboot, Heman dies in the first episode, then the show follows a transgender character as the main character

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, and then said:

You can no longer refuse to hire someone because they're attracted to the wrong person.

You can't underpay someone for having the wrong genitals.

You can't kill someone for falling in love with someone who has the wrong colour skin.

Society just keeps progressing whether you like it or not. And before long your ideals will be irrelevant, just as mine probably will be by the time my grandchildren are my age. 

I don't know why that scares you the way it clearly does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Don't you think that has more to do with "skin-suit" programs? Like He-man or Ghostbusters, the new show producers take things that we love and cram them with woke sh!t. I heard in the heman reboot, Heman dies in the first episode, then the show follows a transgender character as the main character

It's being applied much broader than those. (I don't watch animated shows, btw...)

13 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Ghostbusters,

Call me a sexist, but I'm not fond of replacing characters that have been male most of my life to female. If they want to showcase someone's talent make a role specifically for them. To me, it looks like they are trying too hard. Replacing them looks cheesy and cheap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, and then said:

the will go after those who lied to them, the left. 

14 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Call me a sexist, but I'm not fond of replacing characters that have been male most of my life to female. If they want to showcase someone's talent make a role specifically for them. To me, it looks like they are trying too hard. Replacing them looks cheesy and cheap.

exactly, it makes them look lame wannabes, not heroes. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Michelle said:

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

exactly, it makes them look lame wannabes, not heroes. 

I agree, it's lame. But it's just capitalism at work. They saw a potential new market, and gave it a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with wokeness is that the people that practice this new religion are not open to alternative views and spend most of their time trying to stifle those views, i. e. cancel culture. They have become the very thing they accuse others of..... bigots. 

The story today about JK Rowling being a good example. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

I agree, it's lame. But it's just capitalism at work. They saw a potential new market, and gave it a try.

I might agree if they didn't keep doing it. It's not only movies it's TV shows too. Kung Fu, The Equalizer, etc...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The problem with wokeness is that the people that practice this new religion are not open to alternative views and spend most of their time trying to stifle those views, i. e. cancel culture. They have become the very thing they accuse others of..... bigots. 

Some of them. A minority.

Just now, Michelle said:

I might agree if they didn't keep doing it. It's not only movies it's TV shows too. Kung Fu, The Equalizer, etc...

Means they are profiting. There must be an audience out there, who likes it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

Means they are profiting. There must be an audience out there, who likes it.

They get canceled before the first season is over, but they do keep trying.

• Like 5

Oh, and some of them aren't very bright either. 

56195.jpg.6f4470dc6300ff498cd0be7ef7f052bd.jpg

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They get canceled before the first season is over, but they do keep trying.

Believe me, if they're not making money, they will stop.

A show often gets cancelled, if the expected ratings are below expectation. That doesn't mean it's not making money.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Oh, and some of them aren't very bright either. 

56195.jpg.6f4470dc6300ff498cd0be7ef7f052bd.jpg

The stupid is overwhelming! Cancelled a successful woman that got millions if not billions of kids to read.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, zep73 said:

It's more than that.

But its not about that. We've always had black hero's in films, we've always had female hero's in films. Everybody loved the first Wonder woman film, the second one was a stinker and bombed. The difference being that they didn't bring feminist politics into it to try and sell it. 

One of my all time favorite films is The Equaliser with Denzel. (who happens to be my favorite actor) Now if he brought out Equaliser 3 I'd be first in line to see it. However if they advertised it as a story of a black hero beating the white patriarchy I'm going to give it a miss frankly. 

I'm convinced wokeness will be the death of Hollywood. Just wait and see how the film The Eternals fairs...... diversity and inclusivity has been rammed down the throats in the lead up to its release. 

Normal people don't want to be lectured how to think when they pay to see a film. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

One of my all time favorite films is The Equaliser with Denzel. (who happens to be my favorite actor) Now if he brought out Equaliser 3 I'd be first in line to see it. However if they advertised it as a story of a black hero beating the white patriarchy I'm going to give it a miss frankly. 

Are you old enough to remember the old Equalizer TV show? I didn't hold that against Denzel because I luuuv him and  the movies were so well done. I'm giving Queen Latifa a chance with her new Equalizer TV series, but it's kind of meh.

• Like 1