Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Her Usual Hello

Rascal01

An old army buddy and I had been close friends for 48 years.  We lived near each other, had similar interests and our kids even shared the same crib.  For 48 years his wife answered the phone with her distinctive “Ohhh, hellooo” that was filled with warmth, as though you were a long lost favorite person.  I heard that greeting a great many times over 48 years.  It is still memorable.

She passed away 23 months ago from a combination of ailments.  Her family took it hard, especially her husband of more than 50 years.

I called the old geezer about a year ago to look in on him as I had done many times before.  The phone rang a few times and his wife answered with her usual distinctive greeting.  Then he answered.  I was shocked at hearing her clear articulation and distinctive Norwegian-American voice with all its usual warmth.

I wanted to tell him but thought better if it.  Instead, I asked if he had a woman there.  He denied that.  I asked if he was having a party.  He denied that as well.  I told him I thought I heard a woman’s voice.  No, there were no women there.

I kept this to myself for about 6 months.  Then I shared this with their adult son.  He took it well, then said with a smile, “It means she made it.”

He still doesn’t know unless his son told him.  He doesn’t believe in such things.  I’m not going to try and change his mind.

Edited by Rascal01
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would have told him how happy she sounds.

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I would have told him how happy she sounds.

Yes, I would have liked to do that.  His rigid religious upbringing made doing that difficult.  His maniacal narcissistic behavior made it impossible.  His son said he would pass the matter on to his father when he (dad) was in the right mood.

6 minutes ago, Rascal01 said:

Yes, I would have liked to do that.  His rigid religious upbringing made doing that difficult.  His maniacal narcissistic behavior made it impossible.  His son said he would pass the matter on to his father when he (dad) was in the right mood.

Here's the right word LOL:

curmudgeon

[kərˈməjən]

NOUN

a bad-tempered person, especially an old one.