Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange but True: The Largest Organism on Earth Is a Fungus

Abramelin

The blue whale is big, but nowhere near as huge as a sprawling fungus in eastern Oregon

Next time you purchase white button mushrooms at the grocery store, just remember, they may be cute and bite-size but they have a relative out west that occupies some 2,384 acres (965 hectares) of soil in Oregon's Blue Mountains. Put another way, this humongous fungus would encompass 1,665 football fields, or nearly four square miles (10 square kilometers) of turf.

The discovery of this giant Armillaria ostoyae in 1998 heralded a new record holder for the title of the world's largest known organism, believed by most to be the 110-foot- (33.5-meter-) long, 200-ton blue whale. Based on its current growth rate, the fungus is estimated to be 2,400 years old but could be as ancient as 8,650 years, which would earn it a place among the oldest living organisms as well.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-largest-organism-is-fungus/

• Like 1

I saw a mushroom expert interviewed by Joe Rogan who talked about this a few years ago.  He said that the way it connected it's various parts together was similar to the neural network of a brain.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I saw a mushroom expert interviewed by Joe Rogan who talked about this a few years ago.  He said that the way it connected it's various parts together was similar to the neural network of a brain.  

I'm assuming you're referring to Paul Stamets? He's a living legend ❤️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I'm assuming you're referring to Paul Stamets? He's a living legend ❤️

Yes, that's the guy.

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yes, that's the guy.

I both invite and REinvite anyone to truly listen to and absorb what he's saying. he's a rather brilliant guy, when it comes down to brass tacks. a bit esoteric, yes, but he has a lot to say 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

I both invite and REinvite anyone to truly listen to and absorb what he's saying. he's a rather brilliant guy, when it comes down to brass tacks. a bit esoteric, yes, but he has a lot to say 

I second your recommendation, wholeheartedly.

He's brilliant and driven.  A potent combination.