Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New COVID Variant B.1.1.529, Which May Evade Immunity, Found in These Countries

WVK

Scientists have voiced concern about a new COVID variant that has a "really awful" combination of mutations that could possibly cause the virus to evade immunity.

The variant, now called B.1.1.529, was reported on just days ago after a small cluster of cases were spotted by Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College London in the U.K.

https://www.newsweek.com/b-1-1-529-new-covid-variant-evade-immunity-countries-cases-south-africa-1653257

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10238113/New-Botswana-variant-32-horrific-mutations-evolved-Covid-strain-EVER.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Clickbait for now.  Rather tiresome clickbait.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

You know, tin foil at the ready, how interesting that it’s coming up now, once everyone is getting vaccinated and countries are producing the vaccine by the tonne.

• Like 4

Wonder if it is just as harmful. I would love for a more contagious variant to develop that would be less harmful to humans because then our problems would be over. I guess it is not impossible for that to happen since viruses don't have as a goal to kill humans, viruses have as a goal to spread, and killing humans is a bad idea since that decreases spread.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, WVK said:

Scientists have voiced concern about a new COVID variant that has a "really awful" combination of mutations that could possibly cause the virus to evade immunity.

The variant, now called B.1.1.529, was reported on just days ago after a small cluster of cases were spotted by Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College London in the U.K.

https://www.newsweek.com/b-1-1-529-new-covid-variant-evade-immunity-countries-cases-south-africa-1653257

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10238113/New-Botswana-variant-32-horrific-mutations-evolved-Covid-strain-EVER.html

43 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

Wonder if it is just as harmful. I would love for a more contagious variant to develop that would be less harmful to humans because then our problems would be over. I guess it is not impossible for that to happen since viruses don't have as a goal to kill humans, viruses have as a goal to spread, and killing humans is a bad idea since that decreases spread.

Below is some additional information on the Subject, pay no attention to non-expert / COVID 19 Denier and Antivaxxer that posted in this thread calling this click bait that only because his political party demands he says those things!!:lol:

The Link below From Nature.Com is the most up to date and accurate information concerning this new Variant that is currently online.

Heavily mutated coronavirus variant puts scientists on alert: Heavily mutated coronavirus variant puts scientists on alert (nature.com)

B.1.1 descendant associated with Southern Africa with high number of Spike mutations B.1.1 decendant associated with Southern Africa with high number of Spike mutations · Issue #343 · cov-lineages/pango-designation · GitHub

B.1.1 Lineage Report outbreak.info

How to interpret SARS-CoV-2 Variant Reports : No offense to anyone but these reports and data can be difficult to quantify and understand, this link will provide you with the information necessary to accurately develop a picture of what these reports represent. outbreak.info

• Like 1

16 hours ago, and then said:

Dude you rather tiresome if your not going to be helpful why criticize, the guy is trying to be helpful by starting this thread and with the addition information I added it is certainly not click bait at all!!:no:

Following the discovery of a new variant of the coronavirus in South Africa, the Mainz-based vaccine manufacturer Biontech has initiated investigations into B.1.1.529. The company expects further data from laboratory tests in two weeks at the latest, Biontech told RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland (RND). "These data will provide us with information on whether B.1.1.529 could be an escape variant that would require us to adapt our vaccine if it spreads internationally," a company spokesman said.

Escape variants are viruses that manage to circumvent the immune protection of the vaccine. Biontech and Pfizer, the manufacturers of the Corona vaccine Comirnaty, made preparations months ago, according to the Mainz-based company, "to adapt the mRNA vaccine within 6 weeks in the event of an escape variant and to deliver initial batches within 100 days."

RedaktionsNetzwerk Deutschland

• Like 2

Two cases of the new Covid-19 variant have been detected in Belgium, according to local media reports.

Belgium is the first European country to detect cases, after the strain was found in South Africa, Hong Kong, Botswana and Israel.

thetelegraph

Rock`n Roll!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WVK said:

Just like flu, new variations will always be popping up. There's plenty of time to update and tailor what will probably be our yearly booster shots for this one. In any case, in the States, at least, Covid is no longer pandemic, it's endemic, having infected the huge whitetail deer population.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Just like flu, new variations will always be popping up. There's plenty of time to update and tailor what will probably be our yearly booster shots for this one. In any case, in the States, at least, Covid is no longer pandemic, it's endemic, having infected the huge whitetail deer population.

The trivializing comparison between the number of deaths caused by the flu and caused by C19 lost their mathematical meaning in 2020 already when the number of deaths by C19 overtook the number of deaths by the flue. These days there is a C19 death rate which is up to 11 times higher than by the flu.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, toast said:

The trivializing comparison between the number of deaths caused by the flu and caused by C19 lost their mathematical meaning in 2020 already when the number of deaths by C19 overtook the number of deaths by the flue. These days there is a C19 death rate which is up to 11 times higher than by the flu.

It's not a trivialization. We have considerable catching up to do, but the methodology is the same. Covid is endemic and a fact of life, now. We've had a lot more time and experience with flu; only a couple of years with covid. It's never going away and like flu, new strains will always rear their ugly heads, from time to time. I've been getting flu shots for decades, having almost died twice from virulent strains. Dealing with covid is just another inoculation in a lifetime of inoculations for different diseases. I've already had three this year and one for flu. Fear is a worse disease.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You know, tin foil at the ready, how interesting that it’s coming up now, once everyone is getting vaccinated and countries are producing the vaccine by the tonne.

Vaccination is coming up in the US, but many Third World countries have yet to reach 5%.  Covid anywhere is a threat to people everywhere.

Consider that B1.1.529 was only discovered two weeks ago.

We don't yet know if it can evade our vaccines.  It spreads far faster than delta.

On 11/25/2021 at 11:16 AM, and then said:

For now that's right.  Buy I wouldn't go making predictions if I were you.

Doug

There is a chance that it might not be a bad thing.  If it is more transmissible but non-lethal, it could become the cowpox to Covids smallpox.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fred_mc said:

That's why, with few exceptions, viruses tend to mutate to become more easily spread but less lethal.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

For now that's right.  Buy I wouldn't go making predictions if I were you.

I'm just following the science.  That's not snark, either.  It's just fact that viruses have a long track record for changing to increase transmissibility while reducing lethality.  This particular iteration seems to have many distinct changes, so many that it may be too complicated to easily replicate.  

I've never denied that this virus can be deadly and that stopping it would be a good thing.  I've only ever argued that governments have massively overblown the danger so they can gain more control over us.  That situation is far more dangerous than this virus ever was.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, and then said:

I'm just following the science.  That's not snark, either.  It's just fact that viruses have a long track record for changing to increase transmissibility while reducing lethality.  This particular iteration seems to have many distinct changes, so many that it may be too complicated to easily replicate.  

I've never denied that this virus can be deadly and that stopping it would be a good thing.  I've only ever argued that governments have massively overblown the danger so they can gain more control over us.  That situation is far more dangerous than this virus ever was.

So long as you are keeping it in mind that “Some viruses gradually become less virulent over time, but there's no guarantee that SARS-CoV-2 will follow that pattern. Scientists frequently warn about how any delay in mass vaccination against COVID-19 risks the emergence of potentially more dangerous variants” (https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/will-covid-19-evolve-be-more-or-less-deadly)

13 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Fear is a worse disease.

That depends on how the fear is used for the greater good. Sometimes fear is your best friend.

Coronavirus African Variant Forecast

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2021 at 8:10 PM, and then said:

That's why, with few exceptions, viruses tend to mutate to become more easily spread but less lethal.  

You mean like the Delta variant?

21 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You mean like the Delta variant?

EXACTLY like Delta.  Much more transmissible but no higher CFR.  Push your propaganda elsewhere.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, and then said:

EXACTLY like Delta.  Much more transmissible but no higher CFR.  Push your propaganda elsewhere.

Delta is more transmissible and more dangerous. Higher hospitalisations, higher deaths.

Delta has just spent a year ravaging your country and you’re actually trying to use it as an example of why we shouldn’t worry about subsequent variations. You’re completely detached from reality auld yin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Omicron Variant, the exciting new sequel to the Summer's smash hit, The Delta Variant--by Michael Crichton Jr.

No cases of COVID-19 omicron variant identified yet in US, CDC says | Fox News

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

Btw, about omicron, I'm finding it interesting that they are already more than halfway into the Greek alphabet when naming new variants. Wonder what they are going to name new variants when they run out of letters.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The Omicron Variant, the exciting new sequel to the Summer's smash hit, The Delta Variant--by Michael Crichton Jr.

No cases of COVID-19 omicron variant identified yet in US, CDC says | Fox News

Despite what the CDC says, it would be a good bet there is at least one unknown case somewhere in the U.S. by now. The question is, will the Omicron variant be the dominate strain over the current Delta variant? And if it does, will it be less lethal since it's believed to be more contagious? And can the current covid vaccines keep it from getting worse?