Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tories trying to pass “outrageous” new anti-protest laws

Eldorado

Priti Patel’s Home Office was accused of a “naked attack on civil liberties” over measures proposed in a midnight Lords debate.

New offences would impose up to a year’s jail on protesters who lock themselves to railings, gates or other objects.

They would impose similar terms on activists who “wilfully” obstruct highways or the construction of major works like HS2.

Courts would get powers to impose “prevention orders” on protesters’ future behaviour, even if they’re not convicted of a crime.

And police would get sweeping new powers to stop and search protesters, even without suspicion a crime was committed.

MSN

• Thanks 1

Good. I'm all for this.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Good. I'm all for this.

?  You support allowing the police to "search" protesters?  Why?  I'd support being able to keep them from blocking public roads and traffic areas or locking themselves to infrastructure that is needed by all the public, but giving police the power to search them seems unnecessary.

• Like 2

Good, not before time. :tu:

They should also of passed a law to make them pay compensation to anybody who lost out financially because of their actions. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Priti Patel’s Home Office was accused of a “naked attack on civil liberties” over measures proposed in a midnight Lords debate.

New offences would impose up to a year’s jail on protesters who lock themselves to railings, gates or other objects.

They would impose similar terms on activists who “wilfully” obstruct highways or the construction of major works like HS2.

Courts would get powers to impose “prevention orders” on protesters’ future behaviour, even if they’re not convicted of a crime.

And police would get sweeping new powers to stop and search protesters, even without suspicion a crime was committed.

MSN

You have the right to protest, not the right to cause obstruction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Good. I'm all for this.

The Original Suffragettes shake their heads in shame.

52 minutes ago, and then said:

?  You support allowing the police to "search" protesters?  Why?  I'd support being able to keep them from blocking public roads and traffic areas or locking themselves to infrastructure that is needed by all the public, but giving police the power to search them seems unnecessary.

Not 'specifically' this part (it was actually the only part I found a little harsh) but on the same note, it shouldn't be a problem if you have nothing to hide.

15 hours ago, Stiff said:

Not 'specifically' this part (it was actually the only part I found a little harsh) but on the same note, it shouldn't be a problem if you have nothing to hide.

"... the innocent had everything to fear, mostly from the guilty but in the longer term even more from those who say things like 'The innocent have nothing to fear'."

- Terry Pratchett

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Stiff said:

The point is, you don't need to have anything to hide, they can just stop you, harass you, delay you, all on a whim. Huge abuse? Hell yes. As soon as any government takks about protesters or terrorists and the steps they need to take, pay very close attention to the erosion of your rights and freedoms.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Setton said:

"... the innocent had everything to fear, mostly from the guilty but in the longer term even more from those who say things like 'The innocent have nothing to fear'."

- Terry Pratchett

14 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

The point is, you don't need to have anything to hide, they can just stop you, harass you, delay you, all on a whim. Huge abuse? Hell yes. As soon as any government takks about protesters or terrorists and the steps they need to take, pay very close attention to the erosion of your rights and freedoms.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I'm not the one putting forward the ideas. Just because I agree with most of them and don't have a personal problem with the last one, there's no need to get bent. We all have differing opinions.

As you were.

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I'm not the one putting forward the ideas. Just because I agree with most of them and don't have a personal problem with the last one, there's no need to get bent. We all have differing opinions.

As you were.

Unfortunately, my opinion is that your opinion is dangerous and a threat to our society. So, yes, I'm going to call it out.

Also if me and @OpenMindedSceptic are both disagreeing with you, it's a good sign you're way off base.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Unfortunately, my opinion is that your opinion is dangerous and a threat to our society. So, yes, I'm going to call it out.

Also if me and @OpenMindedSceptic are both disagreeing with you, it's a good sign you're way off base.

Unfortunately my previous reply was removed for some strange reason. But basically it said I couldn't care less about your, or anyone else's opinion on my opinion. Get over it.

Anything this present government proposes should be viewed with suspicion.

It is the most right wing, restrictive government we have ever had. I am always amazed at the popular support they get to dismantle our freedoms.

Media criticising the government? Defund them!

People protesting policies? Lock them up!

The Labour Party complaining that the proposed NHS and social care act will adversely affect the poor (which it obviously will)? Silence them!

There have even been complaints about the (right wing) Mail running a week long campaign against MP's sleaze. Why? Why would anyone think it is okay for an MP to be adsent from constituency work so he can spend months in the Caribbean earning a million pounds a year fighting against the UKs attempts to end fraud?

It is as if people believe that if we stop people reporting adverse consequences they will go away. Either that, or people want to live in a dictatorship.

UK ‘dangerously close to elected dictatorship’ under Boris Johnson, Ken Clarke warns | The Independent

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The government has suffered a series of defeats in the House of Lords over its plans to clamp down on disruptive and noisy protesters.

Opposition peers voted against a range of measures in the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, with Labour calling some of the plans "outrageous".

Peers also voted to make misogyny a hate crime in England and Wales in another government defeat.

The bill will now go back to the Commons for MPs to have their say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60032465

• Like 1

Politics in the UK is a joke, the government lacks integrity, and the majority of its electorate is poorly informed. A country deluded by its own sense of exceptionalism and hostage to a delinquent government has chosen to abuse whatever democracy it had to become an international pariah and a beacon of stupidity to the world. Project Fear has now evolved into a reality that intransigent Brexit supporters will not recognise or accept. A sceptic may need to stick his finger in the fire to be convinced that it burns, but only the truly stupid will continue to tell him it does not.

I've said it on a few occasions, but I hope the decent people of Britain recover control of their country before too much more irreparable damage is done to it. The well-heeled Brexiteers will never change, but the sheeple they duped via the media into voting for them are already beginning to see the truth.

This latest ploy to stifle public demonstrations of dissent is an attempt to gag them and prevent them drawing attention to issues that some people want addressed. Public protest is a healthy activity in any functioning democracy. Is Britain a healthy democracy anymore? Looks like it is generally headed in the wrong direction, and not just on this matter.

• Like 2

This tory government does not believe in personal liberty. It believes in state rule though not state funding. It believes that the Tories have the right to rule and legislate, but that the common people are too thick to understand that its all in their best interests. Therefor Tory ideology is completely at ease passing legislation to stop or gag protests, and to limit / hamper voting. Unfortunately the English, having being brought up on feudal notions of the aristocracy being the proper ruling class, are largely happy to let them get on with it. 

The Tories are well named, they are stealing your democracy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAyMO said:

This tory government does not believe in personal liberty. It believes in state rule though not state funding. It believes that the Tories have the right to rule and legislate, but that the common people are too thick to understand that its all in their best interests. Therefor Tory ideology is completely at ease passing legislation to stop or gag protests, and to limit / hamper voting. Unfortunately the English, having being brought up on feudal notions of the aristocracy being the proper ruling class, are largely happy to let them get on with it. 

The Tories are well named, they are stealing your democracy!

I agree with part of your statement , but the people aren't "thick" and will stand up for their rights ,which may cause a lot of trouble , However the Tories are not stealing our democracy ,its already gone and we are turning into a Boris led Dictatorship .  

• Like 1

All sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Guest Br Cornelius
34 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

All sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

That's the problem, you can't see where this leads.

Br Cornelius

3 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

That's the problem, you can't see where this leads.

Br Cornelius

Wearing masks, passports to get into a pub & being locked indoors all summer?

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Guest Br Cornelius
1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Wearing masks, passports to get into a pub & being locked indoors all summer?

... none of which have anything to do with this bill.

Br Cornelius

8 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

... none of which have anything to do with this bill.

Br Cornelius

But everything to do with civil liberties.

In the UK it is not a civil liberty to disrupt other people going about their lives by blockading traffic, handcuffing yourself to railings, or rioting. With MSN underling UK laws and civil riots with this latest distortion isn`t it about time they were banned from the UK? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spud the mackem said:

I agree with part of your statement , but the people aren't "thick" and will stand up for their rights ,which may cause a lot of trouble , However the Tories are not stealing our democracy ,its already gone and we are turning into a Boris led Dictatorship .  

fair points -

to be clear I wasn't saying the people were thick, I was saying that Tories believe that. 

I hope people do stand up - the UK government under Boris  needs to reminded that it serves it doesn't rule. 

Guest Br Cornelius
2 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

fair points -

to be clear I wasn't saying the people were thick, I was saying that Tories believe that. 

I hope people do stand up - the UK government under Boris  needs to reminded that it serves it doesn't rule. 

The Tories are attempting an all or nothing return to feudalism. I am not so confident that the English public will not willingly accept.

Br Cornelius