Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The issue of missing Indigenous people in America under spotlight

Eldorado

The issue of missing and murdered Indigenous people is now under a spotlight, with federal officials announcing actions to bolster resources to address it.

The Department of Justice said on Tuesday it will be allocating $800,000 to the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs), to provide outreach, investigative support and forensic services to cases involving American Indians and Alaska Natives.

Last week, Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department will dedicate over $90 million in award grants to launch a committee dedicated to tackling the crisis of missing or murdered Indigenous people.

https://kion546.com/news/2021/11/25/a-year-after-mary-johnsons-disappearance-federal-officials-are-finally-acting-on-the-crisis-of-missing-indigenous-people-in-america/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The issue of missing and murdered Indigenous people is now under a spotlight, with federal officials announcing actions to bolster resources to address it.

The Department of Justice said on Tuesday it will be allocating $800,000 to the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs), to provide outreach, investigative support and forensic services to cases involving American Indians and Alaska Natives.

Last week, Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department will dedicate over $90 million in award grants to launch a committee dedicated to tackling the crisis of missing or murdered Indigenous people.

https://kion546.com/news/2021/11/25/a-year-after-mary-johnsons-disappearance-federal-officials-are-finally-acting-on-the-crisis-of-missing-indigenous-people-in-america/

This is a serious issue I lived in Washington State for close to 20 years while assigned to Ft. Lewis and after. The Tulalip Tribal Reservation is very close to where I lived, and I had a number of Native American friends I made over the years. This problem is real and should have been given these recourses long ago. through the 1990s and into the new century this was a major issue that occurred across tribal areas across the Pacific Northwest. I cant even count how many times this occurred while I was living in that area. Its the same story in ever cases these peole just disappear into thin air and are never found. The case below made me remember this situation, I didn't realize it was still taking place, and like the article in the OP said it is mainly occurring to Native American females. this is truly sad!:cry: 

Mary Johnson was on her way to a friend’s home in Oso, Washington, the day before Thanksgiving, but she never made it. A year later, her disappearance remains a mystery. Johnson, then 39 years old and an enrolled citizen of the Tulalip Tribes, was last seen on the reservation on November 25, 2020.

Even though family members have posted flyers, put up a billboard on a local interstate, and a reward for information was offered by the FBI, Johnson, like many other missing Indigenous women in the United States, has not been found