Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Immigration: Boris Johnson publishes five-point plan

Silver

Boris has published his 5- point plan to enable us to 'Take Back Control' of our borders.

It includes increased co-operation with France, shared intelligence gathering, and agreeing joint goals.- basically, can we go back to like it was before Brexit, please? 

It will be interesting to see how the French respond, considering they are preparing to "work to rule" on processing imports tomorrow to try to enforce the UK to abide by the WA.

Boris Johnson has published a five-point plan to stop cross-Channel people traffickers as he urged Emmanuel Macron to take back migrants who make it across to Britain from France.

The Prime Minister, 57, announced today that he has called on the French President, 43, to agree to take back migrants who cross the Channel, arguing that the incentive for people to 'put their lives' in the hands of people traffickers would be reduced if they knew they would be sent back.

Meanwhile, Home Secretary Priti Patel said there is 'no quick fix' to tackle migrants crossing the Channel in small boats as France demanded fresh assistance and dozens more made the perilous crossing today.

Boris Johnson publishes five-point plan to stop the cross-Channel people traffickers | Daily Mail Online

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Sad 2

On the news this evening they were saying that Macron has made it clear he doesn't want to combine forces with Britain to solve this problem.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Boris has published his 5- point plan

I have my own 5-point plan for Boris!

Punch in the throat, dig in the ribs (if I can find them), right hook, left uppercut, roundhouse kick.

:innocent:

Edited by acute
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, acute said:

I have my own 5-point plan for Boris!

Punch in the throat, dig in the ribs (if I can find them), right hook, left uppercut, roundhouse kick.

:innocent:

There are calls in the popular press to get Farage involved. I will be genuinely interested to see if he can come up with a solution, he seems very good at criticising but not so good at coming up with solutions. 

7 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

On the news this evening they were saying that Macron has made it clear he doesn't want to combine forces with Britain to solve this problem.

I don't see how they can help more than they are doing. It has been a big political problem for years. David Cameron failed to address it, Priti Patel has been struggling for 2 years, it is a problem which is getting worse. It'll drop off in the next couple of weeks due to the weather, but it will start up again in the spring. The EU has acute border problems of its own along the Med, I can't see them busting a gut over the UK's migrant problem.

When we Brexited we gave up the right to return migrants to the first safe country they passed through (the Dublin agreement) and took control of our borders. We also forfeited our part in criminal intelligence sharing, so asking for co-operation now seems an odd thing to do.

France, after all, is a sovereign country, and doesn't need to repond to unelected bureaucrats in Westminster. 

France expands sea monitoring as migrants vow to pursue UK dream | Reuters

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I don't see how they can help more than they are doing. It has been a big political problem for years. David Cameron failed to address it, Priti Patel has been struggling for 2 years, it is a problem which is getting worse. It'll drop off in the next couple of weeks due to the weather, but it will start up again in the spring. The EU has acute border problems of its own along the Med, I can't see them busting a gut over the UK's migrant problem.

When we Brexited we gave up the right to return migrants to the first safe country they passed through (the Dublin agreement) and took control of our borders. We also forfeited our part in criminal intelligence sharing, so asking for co-operation now seems an odd thing to do.

France, after all, is a sovereign country, and doesn't need to repond to unelected bureaucrats in Westminster. 

France expands sea monitoring as migrants vow to pursue UK dream | Reuters

No one can deal with it because they aren`t prepared to break their ideals and incur both a media wrath and international condemnation.

An illegal immigrant is a criminal, lock them up. The longer they are locked up for the more of a deterrent it becomes. Then deport them. If there is no country willing to take them back dump them on an unpopulated island (of which the UK owns plenty) and let them get on with it.

• Like 1

According to the Mail, this is what they can expect when they reach the UK. I'd be interested to know how this compares with France, say:

Here, they are given clothing and hot food – sometimes surprisingly expensive. This month, it emerged the Home Office had ordered 3,000 chicken shish kebab meals, costing £19.50 each, from a Kent chain of takeaways – plus hundreds of Domino’s pizzas – to feed the arrivals. 

Mobile phones – paid for by the taxpayer – are distributed so the Home Office can keep in touch with the migrants. 

Pressure group Migration Watch UK, which campaigns for tougher border controls, says 14,000 handsets were given out between January and September this year. 

Migrants also receive £39.63 a week each from the Home Office to pay for essentials. 

Those caring for babies and infants are given extra sums for food, and expectant mothers can apply for a one-off £300 payment. 

Hotels have become the main form of accommodation for migrant arrivals since the crisis exploded last year. Taxpayers are funding multi-million pound bills for thousands of rooms in three and four-star accommodation, on full board. Migrants can expect £40 a week, free mobiles, four-star hotels and lawyers, writes DAVID BARRETT | Daily Mail Online

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

According to the Mail, this is what they can expect when they reach the UK. I'd be interested to know how this compares with France, say:

Here, they are given clothing and hot food – sometimes surprisingly expensive. This month, it emerged the Home Office had ordered 3,000 chicken shish kebab meals, costing £19.50 each, from a Kent chain of takeaways – plus hundreds of Domino’s pizzas – to feed the arrivals. 

Mobile phones – paid for by the taxpayer – are distributed so the Home Office can keep in touch with the migrants. 

Pressure group Migration Watch UK, which campaigns for tougher border controls, says 14,000 handsets were given out between January and September this year. 

Migrants also receive £39.63 a week each from the Home Office to pay for essentials. 

Those caring for babies and infants are given extra sums for food, and expectant mothers can apply for a one-off £300 payment. 

Hotels have become the main form of accommodation for migrant arrivals since the crisis exploded last year. Taxpayers are funding multi-million pound bills for thousands of rooms in three and four-star accommodation, on full board. Migrants can expect £40 a week, free mobiles, four-star hotels and lawyers, writes DAVID BARRETT | Daily Mail Online

Yes, the lure of free stuff, though of course its not free you and I are paying for it, that is basically what it boils down to. I notice the French have never housed them in 4 star hotels. 

Nobody on the BBC or other msm channels will admit it though. I was listening to a BBC radio news report yesterday and the question was raised, why don't they stay in France, Italy or one of half a dozen countries they have to pass through to get here. The only two reasons given were, they probably already have family here and they can possibly speak some English, free stuff wasn't mentioned. 

These two reasons for coming here are totally bogus. First off, since when did being able to speak pigeon English make illegally entering the country any less illegal? Its a non argument. Secondly, if they already have family members living here legally, why are they handing over upwards of £3000 each to get on a inflatable dinghy (occasionally with children) to cross one of the most dangerous waterways in the world? If they can afford that sort of money why don't they just buy a plane ticket at a fraction of the cost, tell customs they are visiting relatives and seek asylum once they are on UK soil?  If as I suspect that the people that make this argument actually mean that they have other family members here illegally, then there's even less justification letting them into the country. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Yes, the lure of free stuff, though of course its not free you and I are paying for it, that is basically what it boils down to. I notice the French have never housed them in 4 star hotels. 

Nobody on the BBC or other msm channels will admit it though. I was listening to a BBC radio news report yesterday and the question was raised, why don't they stay in France, Italy or one of half a dozen countries they have to pass through to get here. The only two reasons given were, they probably already have family here and they can possibly speak some English, free stuff wasn't mentioned. 

These two reasons for coming here are totally bogus. First off, since when did being able to speak pigeon English make illegally entering the country any less illegal? Its a non argument. Secondly, if they already have family members living here legally, why are they handing over upwards of £3000 each to get on a inflatable dinghy (occasionally with children) to cross one of the most dangerous waterways in the world? If they can afford that sort of money why don't they just buy a plane ticket at a fraction of the cost, tell customs they are visiting relatives and seek asylum once they are on UK soil?  If as I suspect that the people that make this argument actually mean that they have other family members here illegally, then there's even less justification letting them into the country. 

Two good points. I've tried searching for the reasons why they come here and get no further than you. Yes, why don't they simply fly here and then seek asylum or just do a bunk? That would be the safest option. And if they are seeking asylum,why destroy their passports? Surely they would need them to corroborate their stories of persecution, etc? And something else I don't understand is where are their families? It seems they are mostly young men. If you are living in a country and fear persecution, surely you would flee with your family, not go off and leave gran, sis, and mum behind, to be treated cruelly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Two good points. I've tried searching for the reasons why they come here and get no further than you. Yes, why don't they simply fly here and then seek asylum or just do a bunk? That would be the safest option. And if they are seeking asylum,why destroy their passports? Surely they would need them to corroborate their stories of persecution, etc? And something else I don't understand is where are their families? It seems they are mostly young men. If you are living in a country and fear persecution, surely you would flee with your family, not go off and leave gran, sis, and mum behind, to be treated cruelly?

All very good and valid points. Unfortunately all points that the msm are not keen to investigate. 

('why do they destroy their passports?'...... Indeed. Noticed a few of them manage to hold onto their mobile phones though) 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Immigrant Island in the middle of the Pacific for all the worlds illegal immigrants.

Set up farming, housing, services, to begin with, then let them build their own country.

• Like 1

why destroy their passports?

Because it's illegal to deport someone to somewhere, without proof of their citizenship of that country.

I've tried searching for the reasons why they come here and get no further than you.

A lot of the migrants already have friends or family here, and speak English.

Also, the UK is multicultural, whereas France is (officially) secular.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, acute said:

Because it's illegal to deport someone to somewhere, without proof of their citizenship of that country.

Re the point I made earlier - 

"These two reasons for coming here are totally bogus. First off, since when did being able to speak pigeon English make illegally entering the country any less illegal? Its a non argument. Secondly, if they already have family members living here legally, why are they handing over upwards of £3000 each to get on a inflatable dinghy (occasionally with children) to cross one of the most dangerous waterways in the world? If they can afford that sort of money why don't they just buy a plane ticket at a fraction of the cost, tell customs they are visiting relatives and seek asylum once they are on UK soil?  If as I suspect that the people that make this argument actually mean that they have other family members here illegally, then there's even less justification letting them into the country. "

As I said previously, the real draw is free stuff. 

And France is very much multicultural. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere

18 minutes ago, acute said:

How can they claim they are being persecuted if they don't say who they are? People who fled Germany, say, in the 1930s said very clearly who they were and why they were fleeing (not that it did them much good). If they remain anonymous they are undermining their case (if they have one, of course). And I'm not sure I buy the multicultural thing- people fleeing for their lives don't usually get to be very picky about the country offering sanctuary to them. I would think they would be glad to be safe, and worry about cultural aspects later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I presume the point acute is making is that they deliberately destroy their passports so that they can't be sent back. In which case perhaps the law should be changed. 

• Like 2

What I don't understand is why people are buying into the view that it is the fault of the French.

I mean, it suits the govenment just fine that they are doing so, but why are people falling for it?

Boris knows there are no easy solutions, so he wants to deflect public approbrium, which is why he published his 5- point plan on Twitter before discussing it with the French- knowing that that action would gain support at home (at least Boris is trying, people think) and also scupper any constructive meeting where he would have to do something about the migrant crisis. But why are the public falling for it?

We voted for Brexit to "take back control of our borders". We didn't vote Brexit so we could force the French to take back control of our borders. If we wanted to have influence over another sovereign country in Europe, we would have remained in the EU.

• Like 1

The UK insists the prime minister's letter was sincere, meant to be constructive, not combative.

But the French suspicion is that the letter was actually directed more at Mr Johnson's Conservative Party than Paris.

The French believe Mr Johnson is in an uncomfortable position with his supporters now, having promised that Brexit would mean "taking back control" of UK waters and borders.

The UK government insists the letter was sent in good faith.

Paris says such a delicate matter as migration, especially between France and post-Brexit UK, should be handled with care, away from the media glare.

Channel migrants: Emmanuel Macron and Boris Johnson clash over crisis - BBC News

At the heart of some of the criticism from France was the suggestion that the UK had chosen Brexit with a promise to “take back control” of its borders, but was now trying to readopt an EU measure it had left behind.

While in the EU, the UK had benefited from the Dublin Regulation, which dictates that an asylum seeker should normally have their application processed in the first EU country they arrived in. It meant, theoretically, that someone seeking asylum would be returned back to that country if they moved to another EU nation.

Mr Johnson’s suggestion that a bilateral “returns agreement” should be signed with France, whereby migrants who arrive on UK shores after crossing the Channel should be returned to France, is seen by critics as an attempt to establish a version of the Dublin Regulation.

Brexit means you chose to give up migrant returns, France tells Boris Johnson (msn.com)

The UK is not as big a draw as some make out. According to the French government only 3% of immigrants specify a desire to get to the UK

why do these 3% want to come - who knows, maybe English is their only second language, maybe they worked with or came across English nationals in their own countries, maybe they read the Daily Mail and believe what's written. 

France and Germany take way more immigrants than the UK, so on that measure they are doing much more than the UK to deal with the current crisis. 

Perhaps the channel crossings are a symptom of, amongst other things, the lack of legal routes for people to apply to come to the UK, forcing individuals to take drastic, costly and dangerous actions. 

Perhaps the UK, whilst looking to blame others - a constant with this corrupt and incompetent Tory government - it should take some time to look at itself. 

As for the Boris letter by tweet - symbolic of the total lack of diplomatic or statecraft skills of that individual and indeed this government. 

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RAyMO said:

As for the Boris letter by tweet - symbolic of the total lack of diplomatic or statecraft skills of that individual and indeed this government. 

This ^ ^.

• Like 1

1. Blame Mr Macaroni

2. Blame the French in general

3. Blame the EU

4. Blame Labor

5. Blame it on the boogie 

• Haha 1

Don't bring no more here! Angry fisherman tries to stop RNLI from launching:

The obstruction was said to have happened on Saturday and witnesses said it had 'shocked them to the core'.

They said the person confronting the RNLI volunteers had claimed 'We're full up, that's why we stopped our donations'.

An eyewitness to the Hastings attempted block – who is only known as Zoe – said she saw the lifeboat come out of the station.

She said: 'They stood directly in the line of the boat so the boat couldn't be put in the water.

'It was really upsetting, and you could hear the hatred in the voice.'

Fisherman 'stops RNLI crew from launching lifeboat to pick up migrants in the Channel' | Daily Mail Online

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, Cookie Monster said:

Immigrant Island in the middle of the Pacific for all the worlds illegal immigrants.

Set up farming, housing, services, to begin with, then let them build their own country.

I mean, we basically already tried that with the US and Australia...

• Haha 3

And therein lies the problem.

Poland made it uncomfortable for the illegal migrants at their borders, so they went home. In Jumbo Jets.

We make it more comfortable, so more will come.

It's not rocket science.

• Like 2