Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Solar Energy Breakthrough: Ultrathin Solar Cells Using 2D Perovskites Get a Boost

Grim Reaper 6

Rice lab finds 2D perovskite compound has the right stuff to challenge bulkier products. Rice University engineers have achieved a new benchmark in the design of atomically thin solar cells made of semiconducting perovskites, boosting their efficiency while retaining their ability to stand up to the environment. The lab of Aditya Mohite of Rice’s George R. Brown School of Engineering discovered that sunlight itself contracts the space between atomic layers in 2D perovskites enough to improve the material’s photovoltaic efficiency by up to 18%, an astounding leap in a field where progress is often measured in fractions of a percent.

Solar Energy Breakthrough: Ultrathin Solar Cells Using 2D Perovskites Get a Boost (scitechdaily.com)

Light-activated interlayer contraction in two-dimensional perovskites for high-efficiency solar cells: Below is the link to the Peer Reviewed Paper on this Thread: Light-activated interlayer contraction in two-dimensional perovskites for high-efficiency solar cells | Nature Nanotechnology

• Thanks 2

Perrovskite solar cells are probably going to be a game changer once they get into mass production. They promise to be significantly cheaper than the allready competitive cells that we have now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Perrovskite solar cells are probably going to be a game changer once they get into mass production. They promise to be significantly cheaper than the allready competitive cells that we have now.

I totally agree with you, they are going to be a game changer. But not only cheaper, more powerful and they appear to longer lasting.

peace bro

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

My old school BTW.

I think Doug has been telling us about the potential  of perovskite for a while.

I think your right Tate I do believe  this is what he ahs been talking about.

Peace Bro

• Like 1