Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Windows 11. Are you using it?

ouija ouija

Anybody here using Windows 11? If so, do you like it? Have you found any glitches?

I've been getting some pop-ups suggesting I upgrade to it.

Yeah in using kind of like it so far and i haven't noticed any glitches. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Anybody here using Windows 11? If so, do you like it? Have you found any glitches?

I've been getting some pop-ups suggesting I upgrade to it.

Hi Ouija

You will have to check and see if the update is compatible with your computer first. I can't update to windows 11 on any of my computers and likely won't worry about it for now.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Ouija

You will have to check and see if the update is compatible with your computer first. I can't update to windows 11 on any of my computers and likely won't worry about it for now.

I just assumed that the pop-up would only appear if the upgrade was compatible. Shows how much I know! :lol:

• Haha 1

I upgraded to it about a month ago, maybe a bit more.

No noticeable problems aside from the need to edit the registry to keep the search function from scanning the internet when all I want is to search my local drives.   But that was also part of Win 10 and their whole Cortana bs. 

I disabled that annoying crap first thing when I got this rig three years ago.  Load of rubbish.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I upgraded to it about a month ago, maybe a bit more.

No noticeable problems aside from the need to edit the registry to keep the search function from scanning the internet when all I want is to search my local drives.   But that was also part of Win 10 and their whole Cortana bs. 

I disabled that annoying crap first thing when I got this rig three years ago.  Load of rubbish.

is there anything good about it? is it better than 10? i'm refraining for now because i'm sure it will play havoc with a lot of the music & CGI software i have to use for work

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, acute said:

I would advise you to install the Windows 11 Health Check App, before attempting an upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck

Thank you for the link. I looked at it just now and there's a lot of information there so I'll have a longer peruse of it tomorrow(when I've got my sensible head on :P).

One thing I don't want to lose is the ability to use any photo I choose as desktop wallpaper. There seemed to be a suggestion that you could only choose from a very small range on Windows 11.

• Like 1

@ouija ouija

I'm sure someone can enlighten you on the Wallpaper situation. Personally, I prefer 1970's anaglypta painted brown. ;)

You need to run the Health Check thing for starters. It's a free M/S app.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/get-apps-from-microsoft-store-on-your-windows-10-pc-f69412b3-3e5c-9122-1e87-820bd718058a

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Key Benefits of Windows 11: The Well-Deserved Hype

The Windows of the future is here, and it's generating a lot of buzz! From a radical redesign to new features that make your everyday life easier, the new Windows has much to offer. There are many reasons why you should be excited about this latest version! 

Here at Kensington, we couldn't be more excited about Windows 11. Since we first learned about the anticipated launch of this new operating system, we have been actively testing hundreds of products (including: Docking Stations, CAC Cases, Kensington Trackballs, Keyboards, Mice, Biometric Readers, and more) to ensure they are compatible and can be simply integrated with this new OS. 

Full article

For me I do not see a need for an upgrade as my W10 runs very well. I think W11 is more for the multimedia freaks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I just assumed that the pop-up would only appear if the upgrade was compatible. Shows how much I know! :lol:

Hi Ouija

I got those pop ups too and on the brain cycle of life after you click on it it askes if you if your system is compatible to which the "I don't know but you showed me your boobs and it might work mode kicks in" and then the rejection.:lol:

Edited by jmccr8
  • Haha 3

Thank you gentlemen for all your comments/advice :tsu:. You've helped me make a decision. I agree with Toast that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' . . . I'm going to stick with 10 for the time being. I also got the impression that 11 is aimed at people who expect a helluva lot more from their computer(s) than I do. Thanks again :).

• Like 3

On 11/27/2021 at 6:01 AM, ouija ouija said:

Thank you gentlemen for all your comments/advice :tsu:. You've helped me make a decision. I agree with Toast that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' . . . I'm going to stick with 10 for the time being. I also got the impression that 11 is aimed at people who expect a helluva lot more from their computer(s) than I do. Thanks again :).

The ONLY reason I "upgraded" to 10 was because I had no choice.  It took me a couple of years to stop hating it.

• Like 3

I was using it for a while, but I only ever use it when I game. Since I don’t game on PC much anymore (I have a PS5) I actually just completely wiped my PC and converted my machine that was Windows 11 dual booted with Linux to a straight Linux machine.

I don’t have/use any devices with Windows at this point, but the UI was pretty sweet IMO. Credit where it’s due. 

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, and then said:

The ONLY reason I "upgraded" to 10 was because I had no choice.  It took me a couple of years to stop hating it.

I have always got on with 10. I guess we all have different expectations  . . . . mine are very low :lol:!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, and then said:

I've never stopped hating it, which is why I use this very handy free utility to stop it pulling all those annoying stunts it likes to do https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10  No ads, no spyware and no nagware

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 5:01 AM, ouija ouija said:

I just checked and my work computer is using windows 10, so I suspect 11 is not necessary.   If it was we would all be upgraded, and most of us would need a new computer to upgrade to windows 11.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Windows 11 for about a month or two. When my PC invited me to upgrade I just went along with it. No complaints (so far) from me, it's working fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:22 AM, Nuclear Wessel said:

I actually just completely wiped my PC and converted my machine that was Windows 11 dual booted with Linux to a straight Linux machine.

You use the Ubuntu OS?

On 11/26/2021 at 11:17 PM, jethrofloyd said:

Is there a big difference between Windows 10 & Windows 11?

They cannot be or it wouldn`t be patchable.

I suspect its a few tweaks here and there, better optimisation for newer computer tech, and possibly Microsoft wanting to enhance its ability to use users data to make more money. Hence, it is isn`t really free.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

pop!OS, a derivative of Ubuntu.

In what way is that different from Ubuntu, if you don't mind me asking?