Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Benjamin Franklin really want the turkey to be the US national bird?

Manwon Lender

There's a story that Benjamin Franklin thought the turkey should be the national bird instead of the eagle. In a 1784 letter addressed to Sarah, his daughter, Franklin wrote: "For my own part I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country. He is a bird of bad moral character. He does not get his living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead tree, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the labour of the fishing hawk; and when that diligent bird has at length taken a fish, and is bearing it to his nest for the support of his mate and young ones, the bald eagle pursues him, and takes it from him. . . . the turkey is in comparison a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America."  

People often interpret this story to mean that Franklin wanted to replace the eagle on the Great Seal of the United States with a turkey. A book put out by the U.S. State Department and authored by Richard S. Patterson and Richardson Dougall, opines that "Franklin was probably not writing seriously," adding that Franklin had already used the new eagle seal on some of his own publications. So which is it? Did Franklin want the turkey to be our mascot, was he poking fun at the very idea of having a mascot, or was he making fun of something else entirely? These are good questions, given that Franklin actually helped design the very seal that he is allegedly roasting. 

This story just keeps getting stranger and to find out the rest of click on the link: Did Benjamin Franklin really want the turkey to be the US national bird? | Live Science

• Like 1

Franklin didn't want to replace the bald eagle with the turkey. He wanted the turkey to be the national bird. He thought the turkey was a noble creature, while the bald eagle was a scavenger. Personally, I'm fine with the bald eagle. Although turkey does taste good. : ) 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Joe Rogers said:

Franklin didn't want to replace the bald eagle with the turkey. He wanted the turkey to be the national bird. He thought the turkey was a noble creature, while the bald eagle was a scavenger. Personally, I'm fine with the bald eagle. Although turkey does taste good. : ) 

Those who want to replace our traditions and tell us that everything we've been taught about the history of America has been lies, are just following the plan for Marxist takeover.  A nation that is ignorant of its history or that has been taught to hate its history is much easier to take down from within.

BTW, Welcome to UM!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joe Rogers said:

Welcome to the forum Joe, and thanks for your comments, I agree with you completely I believe that was Franklins true intention!:tu:

7 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I believe it's a myth right ? 
According to :  https://www.fi.edu/benjamin-franklin/franklin-national-bird

Thank you my friend, and the same to you!:tu:

• Like 1