Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jeremy Corbyn legal action leaves ex Tory councillor 'penniless' before Christmas

Silver

A ex Tory councillor paying thousands in damages to Jeremy Corbyn is facing a bleak Christmas for his family.

Dad-of-three Councillor Paul Nickerson agreed to pay the former Labour leader after reaching a settlement out of court for sharing a doctored picture of Mr Corbyn holding a Remembrance wreath by the taxi blown up outside Liverpool Women's Hospital.

The amount is undisclosed for legal reasons, but the councillor, who had been a Conservative until the backlash over his social media post, said it has left him "penniless".

The councillor, of Minster and Woodmansey ward, briefly launched a GoFundMe appeal called "Jeremy Corbyn VS Cllr Paul Nickerson Legal Fees" - but it only raised £30 before he decided to remove it.

Jeremy Corbyn legal action leaves ex Tory councillor 'penniless' before Christmas - Hull Live (hulldailymail.co.uk)

The Daily Mail article including the offending picture can be seen here:

Tory councillor apologises for sharing Photoshopped image of Jeremy Corbyn laying a wreath | Daily Mail Online

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think we can safely say that he is not 'penniless'. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius

Its just a shame that those in the Labour Leadership haven't faced similar consequences for their slander and actions.

Br Cornelius

3 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

Its just a shame that those in the Labour Leadership haven't faced similar consequences for their slander and actions.

Br Cornelius

Is it a coincidence his initials are JC? I think not:

15 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

A ex Tory councillor paying thousands in damages to Jeremy Corbyn is facing a bleak Christmas for his family.

Fetch my tiniest violin! A Tory has discovered he's subject to the same laws as the rest of us!

Hilarious.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Setton said:

Fetch my tiniest violin! A Tory has discovered he's subject to the same laws as the rest of us!

Hilarious.

It was a funny and relevant meme (i.e. a joke). I can only imagine the thinnest of skinned people would take the same actions

Guest Br Cornelius
18 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

It was a funny and relevant meme (i.e. a joke). I can only imagine the thinnest of skinned people would take the same actions

So you imagine that to slander a person in the most outrageous way (suggesting they are a terrorist rather than a politician) is perfectly acceptable. Colour me surprised.

Br Cornelius

1 hour ago, Hugh Mungus said:

If you say so.

Jeremy's still going to have extra pigs in blankets this year while Nickerson has to tell his kids there's no presents because he thought breaking the law was funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Br Cornelius said:

So you imagine that to slander a person in the most outrageous way (suggesting they are a terrorist rather than a politician) is perfectly acceptable. Colour me surprised.

Br Cornelius

Friends of terrorists, perhaps. 

3 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

Br Cornelius

Slander is telling lies about people. The meme was clearly a joke about corbyns tendency to meet with and excuse terrorists 

Slander is telling lies about people. The meme was clearly a joke about corbyns tendency to meet with and excuse terrorists 

And yet the court says otherwise...

Interesting how fickle that whole law and order act can be when you don't like the outcome.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Setton said:

And yet the court says otherwise...

Interesting how fickle that whole law and order act can be when you don't like the outcome.

Did a court rule on this?

I thought the payout was to avoid this frivolous legal action over a meme

Edited by Hugh Mungus

It obviously wasn't frivolous, was it? Otherwise the defendent would not have agreed to paid however many thousands of pounds he agreed to pay by way of restitution.

'Out of court' does not mean there was no referral to a court. That will have been made, but to avoid unnecessary expense and time the contesting parties are encouraged to settle before the court sits and makes a ruling. An out of court settlement is still formally recorded as an outcome of a court case.

So the Tory councillor was most definitely taken to court - and lost.

2 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

See above.

12 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

It obviously wasn't frivolous, was it? Otherwise the defendent would not have agreed to paid however many thousands of pounds he agreed to pay by way of restitution.

'Out of court' does not mean there was no referral to a court. That will have been made, but to avoid unnecessary expense and time the contesting parties are encouraged to settle before the court sits and makes a ruling. An out of court settlement is still formally recorded as an outcome of a court case.

So the Tory councillor was most definitely taken to court - and lost.

I have completed out of court settlements. They are generally done to avoid court costs. Even if you win it would be cheaper to pay out the whiny little terrorist sympathizer then to complete the process.

Can you imagine taking a comedian to court for a joke? No?

Guest Br Cornelius
9 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

I have completed out of court settlements. They are generally done to avoid court costs. Even if you win it would be cheaper to pay out the whiny little terrorist sympathizer then to complete the process.

You forget costs, if you are confident in your case then defending a liable case will not cost you a penny.
Lets just say its very suggestive that the Tory thug new he would lose.

I believe you will find that JC has defended and won a few of these cases in the past, he knows what the bright light of publicity will reveal.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

LOL! It is always difficult to know with you whether you are being provocative or if you just post out of ignorance.

The winner is almost always awarded court costs on top of the settlement.

And can I imagine taking a comedian to court? Not me personally but plenty of others have, for criminal and civil offences. Here is a prominent case in the news currently:How a joke ended up before Canada’s top court - BBC News

4 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

LOL! It is always difficult to know with you whether you are being provocative or if you just post out of ignorance.

The winner is almost always awarded court costs on top of the settlement.

And can I imagine taking a comedian to court? Not me personally but plenty of others have, for criminal and civil offences. Here is a prominent case in the news currently:How a joke ended up before Canada’s top court - BBC News

Costs are not always awarded, only if you can prove damages and the other person acted maliciously (sometimes not even malicious behavior will cause damages to be issued in family courts or civil cases). 

Also, the opportunity cost is not taken into account. 

Guest Br Cornelius
16 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Costs are not always awarded, only if you can prove damages and the other person acted maliciously (sometimes not even malicious behavior will cause damages to be issued in family courts or civil cases). 

Also, the opportunity cost is not taken into account. 

Its extremely rare for costs not to be awarded. Your clutching at some tiny straws here.  Just about the only reason for costs to be reserved is if the case in considered frivolous and without real merit and is used to punish the frivolous litigant.

Br Cornelius

Just goes to show that being a councillor doesn't mean you are not a halfwit with the brain half the size of a dead whelk.  No sympathy at all.

As Forrest would say: Stupid is as stupid does.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:27 AM, Br Cornelius said:

Its extremely rare for costs not to be awarded. Your clutching at some tiny straws here.  Just about the only reason for costs to be reserved is if the case in considered frivolous and without real merit and is used to punish the frivolous litigant.

Br Cornelius

If Joe Biden photo shopped a meme of Trump doing something stupid, would you be happy with Trump suing and winning?

Or vise versa, Trump posted many memes of Biden which were "false, misleading and defamatory" but were obviously done in jest. It would take an absolute dick to sue over a meme

Guest Br Cornelius
48 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

If Joe Biden photo shopped a meme of Trump doing something stupid, would you be happy with Trump suing and winning?

Or vise versa, Trump posted many memes of Biden which were "false, misleading and defamatory" but were obviously done in jest. It would take an absolute dick to sue over a meme

If its slanderous then yes I would be more than happy.  Hopefully politics hasn't yet reached this childish level though.
Freedom of speech allows you to say whatever you want - but it also allows you to face the consequences of your stupidity.

But nice avoidance there :tsu:

Br Cornelius