Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could we detect alien probes that are inside our own solar system ?

UM-Bot

Looks like we cannot. Whenever an alien probe trully enters our solar system we have nothing but some poor visibility and speculations to work with... oumuama is the best example that we're not ready.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Looks like we cannot. Whenever an alien probe trully enters our solar system we have nothing but some poor visibility and speculations to work with... oumuama is the best example that we're not ready.

Oumuama was not from our own solar system. Oumuama was the interstellar visitor.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Oumuama was not from our own solar system. Oumuama was the interstellar visitor.

I took qxc's reference to mean "Oumuamua was from beyond our solar system but we (humanity) were not ready to respond and investigate it."  So in that regard you're both right.

I've never been comfortable with the multiple leaps of faith required to conclude Ouma was a machine of alien provenance.  I understand the conundrum regarding its apparent acceleration as it left us, but I've read several scientific arguments that can describe this without recourse to fanciful explanations.  From everything I've seen, I'm fairly convinced it was a natural hunk of rock from somewhere far, far away.  As for its 'uniqueness' in shape and orbit - I suspect it's one of a billion trillion similar objects we just haven't seen yet.

As for the OP - are they actually allowed to call this a 'study'?  As far as I can see all they've done is dream up a sci-fi solution to a problem that doesn't exist, dragged it out for seven pages of technobabble (https://arxiv.org/pdf/2111.05334.pdf) and failed to find any evidence.  So - what have they really studied?

“Interpreting this null result is difficult, as tons of hypotheses could explain it,” said Gillon. 

My brilliant theory is that terrifying alien-dustbin hybrids are blocking all extra-terrestrial interstellar signals, in preparation for an invasion of Earth next Tuesday.  I'm calling my speculative nonsense Daleks Are Near - Get Earth Ready.  And already, without even looking, I have as much evidence as they have for their idea.  Now all I need is a go-fund-me to pay for publication, a research grant or six, and my Nobel Prize (before Tuesday, please, so I can spend it).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

IF they exist, and IF they don't want us to see them, we won't. Simple as that. Super advanced stealth tech that wants to be hidden will stay hidden.

Even if they don't care about being seen, they could be small enough to not be noticed, and not transmit anything that we are capable of looking for.

Edited by moonman

If they exist, I think they'll be in plain sight, if we're technologically able to look and understand. I'd look at all Lagrange Points of the nearest planets and their moons, where a probe could remain without issue, and still be detected. I'd expect it to be some form of monitoring device, that uploads vast quantities of electromagnetic data to some form of faster-than-light "Galactic Interweb", accessible to any individual in the universe with a suitable username and password.

Edited by Mike Fox

ETs in our solar system? Just assume it's impossible, cause it's impossible. ;)