Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Covid in Scotland: Six cases of Omicron variant identified

johncbdg

18 minutes ago, johncbdg said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59457332

Here is additional information that should be helpful to you thread, the first Journal is from the World Heath Organiztion ( WHO ). I would not be too concerned just yet, while The Who has designated it as Variant of Concern ( VOC ) and gave it a Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529) doesn't mean to sell the farm just yet, the WHO has Stated that at this time Analysis is being conducted to determine how detrimental this Varient actually is. 

Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern see the information I have include below is from the WHO.

""The B.1.1.529 variant was first reported to WHO from South Africa on 24 November 2021. The epidemiological situation in South Africa has been characterized by three distinct peaks in reported cases, the latest of which was predominantly the Delta variant. In recent weeks, infections have increased steeply, coinciding with the detection of B.1.1.529 variant. The first known confirmed B.1.1.529 infection was from a specimen collected on 9 November 2021.""

""This variant has a large number of mutations, some of which are concerning. Preliminary evidence suggests an increased risk of reinfection with this variant, as compared to other VOCs. The number of cases of this variant appears to be increasing in almost all provinces in South Africa. Current SARS-CoV-2 PCR diagnostics continue to detect this variant. Several labs have indicated that for one widely used PCR test, one of the three target genes is not detected (called S gene dropout or S gene target failure) and this test can therefore be used as marker for this variant, pending sequencing confirmation.""

""Using this approach, this variant has been detected at faster rates than previous surges in infection, suggesting that this variant may have a growth advantage. Based on the evidence presented indicative of a detrimental change in COVID-19 epidemiology, the TAG-VBased on the evidence presented indicative of a detrimental change in COVID-19 epidemiology, the TAG-VE has advised WHO that this variant should be designated as a VOC, and the WHO has designated B.1.1.529 as a VOC, named Omicron.E. 

https://www.who.int/news/item/26-11-2021-classification-of-omicron-(b.1.1.529)-sars-cov-2-variant-of-concern

Thank you are sharing this and I will try and help keep in eye on this until it is determined how detrimental this varient is!:tu:

1 hour ago, johncbdg said:

And so it begins......

From the South African Doctor who first identified this variant:

https://nypost.com/2021/11/27/omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-but-mild-says-south-african-doctor/

“It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles and tiredness for a day or two not feeling well,” Coetzee told the paper. “So far, we have detected that those infected do not suffer the loss of taste or smell. They might have a slight cough. There are no prominent symptoms. Of those infected some are currently being treated at home.”

She described one “very interesting case” involving a 6-year-old girl.

She had “a temperature and a very high pulse rate, and I wondered if I should admit her. But when I followed up two days later, she was so much better,” she said.

Coetzee emphasized that all of her patients had been healthy, and expressed worry that elderly or unvaccinated patients could be hit by the omicron much harder –especially those with comorbidities such as diabetes or heart disease.

This all adds up to, she isn't sure and she's being honest about it.  SARS-COV-2 Has always been harder on those with comorbidities and or the elderly.  The fact that we're watching several governments INSTANTLY lock down and beginning to sound the alarm for approaching doom, should red-pill a lot of people... but it won't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

This all adds up to, she isn't sure and she's being honest about it.  SARS-COV-2 Has always been harder on those with comorbidities and or the elderly.  The fact that we're watching several governments INSTANTLY lock down and beginning to sound the alarm for approaching doom, should red-pill a lot of people... but it won't.

Or it means they also recognise we don't know so are going to be cautious until they do know.

Or, you know, plough on in blissful stupidity and hope for the best I guess.

• Like 2

Based on the last couple of years, it might be considered a good thing that we respond quickly to an unknown and then modify response as more data becomes available.  That would seem like an intelligent and responsible course of action.   Rapid action and panic are not necessarily the same thing. It all depends on what we do next. 

• Like 3

This all adds up to, she isn't sure and she's being honest about it. 

Of course you seem to be right about one thing.  It has already spread to numerous countries so  flight restrictions from SA may already be too late.  History repeats itself.  A flight ban on China and not from Europe did not stop covid from hitting the US. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Based on the last couple of years, it might be considered a good thing that we respond quickly to an unknown and then modify response as more data becomes available.  That would seem like an intelligent and responsible course of action.   Rapid action and panic are not necessarily the same thing. It all depends on what we do next. 

I disagree.  The leaders in Southern Africa disagree, as well.  A total shutdown for a variant that has just been identified and which has shown NO propensity to be more lethal, is a clear overreaction and it causes far more harm than it benefits these nations.  Add to that the news from pharma that they can gin up a targeted vaccine for this (or any variant) in 3 months and it makes the reaction even more extreme and unnecessary.  Believe it or not, one CAN respect the danger of this virus and its iterations while also asking for common sense measures that do not starve innocent people or cause them to skip doctor's appointments that might save their lives from OTHER diseases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Of course you seem to be right about one thing.  It has already spread to numerous countries so  flight restrictions from SA may already be too late.  History repeats itself.  A flight ban on China and not from Europe did not stop covid from hitting the US. 

Correct.  My issue isn't with exercising caution, it's more about going massively overboard when there is no indication yet that it is needed.  Let's face it... in the time of air travel making this planet TINY in comparison to how it once was... the only sure means of stopping this or any other contagion would be to isolate it by shutting down ALL TRAVEL between nations.  That's a ridiculous overreach and does far more harm than good.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

I disagree.  The leaders in Southern Africa disagree, as well.  A total shutdown for a variant that has just been identified and which has shown NO propensity to be more lethal, is a clear overreaction and it causes far more harm than it benefits these nations.  Add to that the news from pharma that they can gin up a targeted vaccine for this (or any variant) in 3 months and it makes the reaction even more extreme and unnecessary.  Believe it or not, one CAN respect the danger of this virus and its iterations while also asking for common sense measures that do not starve innocent people or cause them to skip doctor's appointments that might save their lives from OTHER diseases.

You comments are based upon a single news paper article from far right leaning and bias media source.

So your comments are about others starving or saving the lives of others from what you deem as other MORE dangerous diseases?

Much more accurately they are more of the same in accurate politically bias hyperbole rhetorical misinformation you have been spreading since the election. 

Just be honest it will make you feel much better, adding inaccurate information is no different than giving others medical advice which is dangerous and unethical.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johncbdg said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59457332

I wonder how many died?

Isn't that what we're fearing here, people dying?

Point being... Slow Media day means super hyping variant thats not as bad as original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

Correct.  My issue isn't with exercising caution, it's more about going massively overboard when there is no indication yet that it is needed.  Let's face it... in the time of air travel making this planet TINY in comparison to how it once was... the only sure means of stopping this or any other contagion would be to isolate it by shutting down ALL TRAVEL between nations.  That's a ridiculous overreach and does far more harm than good.

I agree with your point about air travel, the world is tiny.  It is easy to reach every corner from any location in a couple of days.  It will take a couple of weeks to assess the implications of this virus.  That does not seem overlong.  Travel for business is increasingly replaced  by web alternatives.  Tourist travel might be suspended for a couple of weeks  without major global harm.  

Based on past history, how many would take a new vaccine?  Also based on past history, how much would that cost?  Billions I suppose.   It is probably a lot cheaper and more sensible to feed those starving people for a couple of weeks than go through a billion doses of a new vaccine.  

We did fire drills  at every large manufacturing facility I ever worked at. Not a one of those in 30 years but cost us at least an hours worth of production.  We do active shooter drills at some schools  and businesses.  The essence of our justification of a $750 billion dollar defense budget is that we want to be prepared for every eventuality.  I would much rather it be a drill and go back to work than have it be real and see a plant burn down with people trapped inside.

No panic, we just stop for  a moment and assess the situation, take appropriate action and get on with our lives.

Media on both sides loves anger and panic,  It gets views.   They stoke it.  Both sides do it. 

We can't let ourselves or our governments be dominated by media greed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I wonder how many died?

Point being... Slow Media day means super hyping variant thats not as bad as original.

No the biggest fear is people dying, that is beyond our control so long as this Pandemic is a Political spectacle, and because of that people are choosing to not get vaccinated. The real fear for the Medical Community is Viruses mutations are infecting people by evading the immune response generated by both vaccines and by natural immunity from past infection. This why both those with natural immunity and enhanced immunity from the vaccine are equally experiencing Breakthrough infections at a rate that is climbing. 

So honestly your point about it being a slow media day is not only sad, its actually super hyping information that isn't accurate. When the WHO identifies a new variant as a VOC and gives it a specific numerical designation that variant has new genetic changes in the Spike protein that make its mutation climbing on the scale of being more infectious. Not all variants or mutations or even reported to public and still fewer are given the medical designation that only the WHO assigns which is a VOC. 

Just to help better understand the process here is new report on virus and its designation by the WHO.

Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern  Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern (who.int)

EPIDEMIOLOGY NEWS AND RESEARCH WHO designates Omicron (B.1.1.529) as SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern (news-medical.net)

Take care.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

No the biggest fear is people dying, that is beyond our control so long as this Pandemic is a Political spectacle, and because of that people are choosing to not get vaccinated. The real fear for the Medical Community is Viruses mutations are infecting people by evading the immune response generated by both vaccines and by natural immunity from past infection. This why both those with natural immunity and enhanced immunity from the vaccine are equally experiencing Breakthrough infections at a rate that is climbing. 

So honestly your point about it being a slow media day is not only sad, its actually super hyping information that isn't accurate. When the WHO identifies a new variant as a VOC and gives it a specific numerical designation that variant has new genetic changes in the Spike protein that make its mutation climbing on the scale of being more infectious. Not all variants or mutations or even reported to public and still fewer are given the medical designation that only the WHO assigns which is a VOC. 

Just to help better understand the process here is new report on virus and its designation by the WHO.

Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern  Classification of Omicron (B.1.1.529): SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern (who.int)

EPIDEMIOLOGY NEWS AND RESEARCH WHO designates Omicron (B.1.1.529) as SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern (news-medical.net)

Take care.

Yeah, I know most of that. The point is that this is more of the same, but that the Media and Politicans are hyping it. The WHO said Friday that travel restrictions are simply not necessary if people get the vaccine and use masks. 

They also said that though Omnicron is a variant they are watching, it is too soon to actually say its more virulent, or even more dangerous.

People saying otherwise are speaking/acting in ignorance.

39 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Yeah, I know most of that. The point is that this is more of the same, but that the Media and Politicans are hyping it. The WHO said Friday that travel restrictions are simply not necessary if people get the vaccine and use masks. 

They also said that though Omnicron is a variant they are watching, it is too soon to actually say its more virulent, or even more dangerous.

People saying otherwise are speaking/acting in ignorance.

I dont disagree with, but dont blame the media because they only march to the beat of the Political Drum they support, frankly I dont trust the media to report honestly and with integrity I have felt that way for many years. If you look back across any of COIVD 19 threads I post in you will quickly see I only use Scientific Medical Peer Reviewed Journals to base my comments upon and I provide sources to that information. To me if someone uses a media soucre right or left to base their discussion upon I make it pretty clear tvery quickly that is not the to way to back up your comments, and people use those sources of information do so for only three reasons. 

The first reason is to support their Politcal Affiliations, the Second reason is because they are too lazy to do any research, and Third reason is because do not any better, because they  are ignorant gullible  and also because they still trust the media. You see partner when someone calls me ignorant  in mymind its im;possible to disagree with them because ingorance is part of the human experince and not matter hoe long we live or how well educated we are from birth to death we are all ignorant because no one can possiblely learn everything their is to know in a Million life times. Since the begining of this Pandemic a great deal of intentionally false information is being put out  which can be a dangerous if not deadly mistake if other people trust or beleive their nonsense. Now it may hard to believe but  I dont have hateful or prejudiced bone in may bone and I only react according to how people respond to me. However, when it comes to people putting out misinformation, disinformation, out right lies, or conspiracy theories I put them in their place by posting accurate, sceintific information based upon Peer reviewed article and Jounals. 

Bu the sad thing in most cases I have learned its not a simple mistake, or even complete ignorance of the subject it far too many cases tis intentional and peope prove thats their intention when you give them accurate information and they laugh and continue to do what they were doing. Now I dont act in a negative manner if its a new member or someone who is known for honesty without any political motivation because we all make mistakes so I just correct those situations respectfully. The word respectfully is very important to me, because someone who cares about others, and after they see the information that is provided to them those people dont become p***y or angry and thats how I personally determine persons character. However, even with that said I dont hold any grudges because eberyone can change if they choose to then under those circumstances the way I address that indiviudal also changes. I dont think I am the King of this forums COVID 19 subsection, I am also not full of myself, I am just simple human being that who has seen a great of death in my life. 

Since this dam Panemic began, I have lost 3 very close friends who I served with throughout most of my Military career they all loved America and they were certainly absolutely much more Pariotic and brave than I will ever be, so its very fair to say I looked up to them as true brothers in every sense of that word for reasons I will not mention here. Mike and I served together during Desert Storm and then less than two years later in Somalia during the Battle of Mogadishu, we worked and fought side by side. Jim and Craig I served with in Desert Storm and then later during the invasion of Afghanistan. It makes me sick and breaks my heart that they all servived all of that and then died from some Fracken Virus. They were all healthy, they were not drug addicts, or even alcoholics we all worked in the same field basically fast reaction, special operations US Miltiary Chemcial Corp's soldiers so we also knew each others families and in no true sense of the word it was really like we were extended members of each others families.

I think your very aware that I take a very very dim view of racsit, homophoblc, or behavior that denigrates minorities, if that behavior is based upon noting but those factors I already stated. My firend Mike was a Black-hispanic American, Craig was german like me amd his parents also immegrated and he was born in the US like me, and Jim was from the back woods of Suthern Georgia he was as ******* as anyone alive but he did not have a prejudice bone in his body and he was the bravest man I have ever had the plesure of meeting in my entire life. During the invasion of afgahnistan our unit was moving forward when it entered a village, we immedately came under intense small arms fire and attacks using RPGs the attack was coming from a hillside over looking the village aproximately 500 to 600 kilometers above us to the right. Well the people from the village scattered and in the confusion two children were left in the line of fire.

Before I could speak Jim jumps up from behind our vehical and runs about 100 meters into driect fire and grabs those kids and  he mkes it to safty without single scratch it was like I was watching a movie it was complete unbelievable you had to see it to believe it. During my Military career field there we only approimately 250 people assgined from all US Branches of service and throughout the spant of 23 years career I worked with or at least met every soldier from my Branch. The gentleman I mentioned above though were all US Army just like I was. Jim and and Craig died so fast I was not even notified by their families until after their deaths. However, in Mikes cases he sent me a email message that he had tested positive on 23 September 2021, but he didn't tell he was calling from an ICU. I called the next day to talk with him, and his wife Terrie answered the phone who my wife and I had known for almost 15 years she told me he died during the night.

We both cried and then my wife joined in and we all cried together, for at least 15 minutes and she went on to explain that he also had complications from COVID 19 in addition to having the infection. She went on to say that Mike had to have all the toes on his left foot amputated and that if he had not died he would have most likely lost his left hand for the same Fracken reason blood clots from compliactions caused by COIVD 19. Eventhough he was on blood thinning medications they were not acting effectively and you can only be given some much of that medication because it can also kill you. She said that he would not call me or let her call my wife, because he knew what my wife and I would have done and that to was to immediately get any Plane heading for the United States. His cause of death ended up being Complications from COVID 19, a Blood Clot had broken free and made it to his Brain and that caused a massive stroke.

That immediately in turn caused a violent Grand Mal Seizure that woke Terrie up, it all only lasted a minute at most, and then his pulse sock monitor to completely drop to zero. In less than another minute they called a code, and five minutes after that they were unable to revive him so the doctor called his death. Then November 17th my wifes mother who was in a Nursing Long Term facility for stage four Alzheimer patients also died from this Virus. About 10 days before she died my wife and I had taken her to her Primary Care Doctor to have her feeding tube changed here in Seosan korea. Well after returming to the Care facility everything was as good as it could be under the circunstances concidering she didn't know anyone or even where she was. Nine days later she started running a fever and 4 days later she died from COVID 19. In her case it was blessing, she was unable to walk, talk, feed herself, or anything else she was literally in a vegetative state, and she had been like that for more than year. 

So when people make light of the serious nature of this Virus, make comments based upon their Politcal Affiliation, make stupid comments telling others they are acting out fear when they say things about this Virus, any other ingorant comment, or when they say well it only kills the old, or those with under lying conditions, or those who are in poor health and then start using false statistics like this Virus only maybe kills between 1 and 3 percent of those infected I expolde. Because even while it isn't like MERS or the original SARS Virus with very high mortality rates those comment simple not true, accuarte, or in anyway truthful. Another thing no one on this forum will discuss when confronted with it a coversation is the fact even those who only may mild inflections, suffer amputations, permanent organ and brain damage, ot what they call Long COVID where more than a year after they recover from an infection they atre still suffering symptoms that in many cases will not longer allow them to work any longer, so when all these thing are also occurring sometimes death is better living.  The guys I was speaking about above all were healthy and careful concerning the precations they took to prevent becoming infected. Trust me all of us were in the top 10 percent of the entire population of the United States corcerning how to the proper precations along with proper decontaminate techniquies are pwerformed before even entering our homes so that we do not bring it home and infect our friends or families.

Well unfortchanately Diecheker you won the lottery today buddy:D, I really needed to decompress and down load all these feelings and I have because I did not want to do this with wife because she is currently feel as bad I do right now because of the death of mother, so the last thing I want to do was make her feel worst. Well It was the wrong day to quote me Diecheker,:lol: I hope I have not made yoyu feel uncomfortable, or that make it sound like any of this is in any way directed towards or at you because that is not true my friend. I know we had our days where we did get along and in most cases that was my fault not yours, in fact whenever I get into a heated discussion that turns into an arguement I always take the personal responsiblity for those actions, maybe not at the moment but, I always see my mistakes. Because by my spiritually ( Buddhism ) everything that occurs in our lives is notrhing but cause and effect nothing else.

While its true situations occur in everyones lives where they are in no way responsible for the event ( cause ) we are however always fully responsible for how we act and respond to it. ( effect) Most people do not understand this concept they go through life thinking there are only two things that occur in situation ore discussion they are either right or wrong and there is really no in between. They never give it any though that we can be fully vindicated in everything that comes our way and still be completely wrong because of how we act, accept or respond to it. Now I am certainly not a good little Buddhist,:D because I am not able to walk away from any form of confrontation, and thats very sad because I know better, so there is no excuse I can make. :( But the concept I spoke about above I do fully understand and over the last few years I have been appling these changes to my life, at times very sucessful and at other times not sucessful at all,:D but I will never stop trying until its my turn to pass into the great divide. :yes: 

So sincerly Peace to you, and I also sincerly hope you, your freinds and all members of your family are very healthy and very safe!!:tu:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, and then said:

Tired today, Eddie?  You sound a little more disjointed than normal.  I posted HER WORDS.  You know, the PHYSICIAN whose profession it is to understand and to deal with these issues?  Sorry if I gate-crashed your little potential doom-orgy.  Well... not really.  It does get old for those of us who have other things to deal with than virus hysteria.  But by all means, do carry on.

Is Eddie the best you are able to come with, you certainly are not creative or funny at all!!:angry::lol: If I were trying to tell someone they are not able to be trust or that they are an ass kisser, I would present it with much more flare and ingenuity. but what can be expected from Mister Rogers, by the wat how is your neighborhood and is Mr. Train healthy!!!!!:D

And then, I take no ofense to your comments, I deserve them I can very easily admit I am an ass sometimes which there is no excuse for at all.!!:tu:

Peace Dude and I hope you and your family and friends are health, safe, and have a wonderful Christmas 2021:tu:

Produces mild symptoms.

If you have anvirus that produces mild symptoms.then the answer would be what? To run, hide, mask, increase jabs? 

Or would it be to get on with living and allow the body a chance to catch the virus and develop some.immunity?

There is so.much fear around covid that people have lost the plot.

• Haha 1

Omicron found in Australia. The country where you can to leave or enter unless you are double jabbed.

Let that sink in.

Yes, somebody jabbed brought omicron in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

If somebody was jabbed six months ago and the vaccine is not effective against omicron then that would not really be that shocking... not to mention that even though you are fully and effectively vaccinated you can still act as a carrier for the virus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Omicron found in Australia. The country where you can to leave or enter unless you are double jabbed.

Let that sink in.

OH

MY

GOD!

You mean the vaccine isn't 100% effective at preventing transmission??!!!

Oh, wait, we've known that from the start.

Carry on.

So we now have the German Health Minister who gets it.

He said Omicron could be a "Christmas Gift".

This is because the symptoms are so mild and this is the normal cycle for a virus so it can cohabit with the host without killing the host.

And what does the government say, "run and hide, mask up, better get your boosters in even though Omicron is about take the world by storm and isn't deadly while nobody knows if the jabs are effective against it"

It's like some medical sociopath's wet dream.

Couldn't make it up.

Back in to your fear bubble you vacc-at-any-cost doom mongers.

• Like 1

Covid in Scotland: All nine Omicron cases linked to single event

All nine cases of the Omicron variant of Covid in Scotland are linked to a single event, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said.

She told MSPs that those affected had been tested on or around 23 November and had been self-isolating since then.

She said the cases all traced back to a "single private event" on 20 November.

Ms Sturgeon added: "We fully expect that there will be more cases identified over the coming days that are also linked to this event."

Five of the cases are in Lanarkshire and four are in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59473564

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I wonder how many died?

So far?  NONE...

I also just caught this but I'm sure our Oberfuhrer of propaganda will tell us it's unacceptable ;)   Is it just me, or has the arrogance become ridiculous?

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/coronavirus/1638266570-israeli-immunologist-omicron-might-be-light-at-end-of-tunnel

Maybe someday it will occur to him and others that the sources they use to "police" everyone else's speech just MIGHT themselves be untrustworthy.  Until then, it's a great gig to be able to ignore and or mock every source you disagree with because you have some sort of "unbiased database" that cannot under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES be questioned.  After all, they have that dandy little "blue check" insignia.  :lol:  This in an age where EVERYTHING is politicized AND most of the media leans Left and denies the validity of anything but their own opinions.  It's a childish, ridiculous sort of game but some here love to play it.  I think it makes them a little stressed to have anyone disagree with them.  

Repressive info mavens aside, this article actually offers some potential hope and has the added benefit of not only coming from a country that has been at the forefront of battling the pandemic, it's also very logical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1