Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don't use the word 'looting', experts in US media warn

OverSword

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

How about this occurring because of local governments unwillingness to protect society from criminals?  Even to the point that store employees could be charged with a crime for intervening if they do so before the perps have left the building?  Shouldn't weak government and laws/policies that favor criminals be the thing that this phenomena is subsidiary to?

We will see heavily armored store facade in no time... probably already started. If the governement let crowd destroying and stealing properties you have the option of closing or making a fortress. Assurances will stop paying for sure they are no dumb.

Edited by Jon the frog

1 minute ago, Jon the frog said:

We will see heavily armored store facade in no time... probably already started. If the governement let crowd destroying and stealing properties you have the option of closing or making a fortress. Assurances will stop paying for sure they are no dumb.

Fire safety regulations will preclude this from happening.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

How about this occurring because of local governments unwillingness to protect society from criminals?  Even to the point that store employees could be charged with a crime for intervening if they do so before the perps have left the building?  Shouldn't weak government and laws/policies that favor criminals be the thing that this phenomena is subsidiary to?

I’d still call it robbery or pillaging, looting suggests there’s a bigger event going and this is an opportunistic theft, instead this is a calculated raid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Fire safety regulations will preclude this from happening.

The looters will put things in fire.... so what you can do anyway, lol ! 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I’d still call it robbery or pillaging, looting suggests there’s a bigger event going and this is an opportunistic theft, instead this is a calculated raid.

Bigger than the US government? :lol:

19 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Crowd sourced couriers

Community-led inventory audit.

Edited by acute
Autocorrupt
  • Haha 3

I don't really care what they call it but to me it looks more like organized crime theft.

• Like 4

You know what this reminds of? When stupid Beyonce tried to ban the word "bossy." Like y'all for real? Don't force me NOT TO STAY WORDS. 

• Like 1

My thought is why are we middle-road types allowing the far-left to bully us even in language. We need to grow a pair and resist a left ideological takeover!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, acute said:

Permanent borrowing.

Self administered reparations?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, acute said:

Permanent borrowing.

That is the legal definition: "intention to permanently deprive". That why opportunistic taking of a car is known as "twoccing" (taking without consent) - I don't know if it is known as that in the US.

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

My thought is why are we middle-road types allowing the far-left to bully us even in language. We need to grow a pair and resist a left ideological takeover!! 

Do you mean the organised smash and grabs should be known as looting? If that is the case it is the right that is doing the bullying by using an incorrect word.

Looting is an odd crime with interesting connotations. Often punished far more severely than robbery or burglary. But sometimes condoned.

In WW2 when food was scarce, during bombing raids on cities civilian looting was not uncommon and considered a despicable crime, and people caught got little sympathy.

Fighting troops, on the other hand, were expected to do it and it was known as 'foraging' or 'liberating' (as long as it was not a deliberate slash and burn policy).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Do you mean the organised smash and grabs should be known as looting? If that is the case it is the right that is doing the bullying by using an incorrect word.

Looting is an odd crime with interesting connotations. Often punished far more severely than robbery or burglary. But sometimes condoned.

In WW2 when food was scarce, during bombing raids on cities civilian looting was not uncommon and considered a despicable crime, and people caught got little sympathy.

Fighting troops, on the other hand, were expected to do it and it was known as 'foraging' or 'liberating' (as long as it was not a deliberate slash and burn policy).

It won't take long before the term 'organized smash and grabs' (after it appears a lot) will be criticized for having a racist connotation. Perhaps the left will then gravitate to the next term 'active wealth redistribution efforts':clap:

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

I don't really care what they call it but to me it looks more like organized crime theft.

If police can catch one or two individuals, they could identify others.  If these others have been involved in other smash-and-grab robberies, they could be charged with racketeering and tried for all past crimes.  In any case, if they were repsonding to the same email, for example, they could also be charged with conspiracy.  It's time to make arrests for real crimes and forget about marijuana.

Doug

Edited by Doug1066
  • Like 3

Makes me wonder why they say it's racist to say, looting. Did they take notice of who's doing the looting?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hawken said:

Makes me wonder why they say it's racist to say, looting. Did they take notice of who's doing the looting?

:whistle:

• Like 1

See, the good. ol' days have returned. Get your shield and axes, and a boat, and go a looting - erm - pillaging - erm - sight seeing vacation. ^^

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hawken said:

Yes, well. There seemed to be something of that aspect with regard to our "steaming" crimes. But that doesn't mean that it becomes correct to use an incorrect word, or helpful in anyway. I remember a few years ago we had quite widespread city centre rioting, shops were set on fire and there was pretty widespread looting. The authorities clamped down hard and gave out really punative sentences- I recall a junior soldier took advantage to nip into a destroyed store and stole a guitar- he got something like 5 years despite it being a first offence and an exemplary military record. 

15 minutes ago, Bavarian Raven said:

See, the good. ol' days have returned. Get your shield and axes, and a boat, and go a looting - erm - pillaging - erm - sight seeing vacation. ^^

Historically a Vikingr was a Norseman that went pillaging and the verb for what he was doing was viking.  As in "Me and Lothgar are going to go a viking when the weather is better" 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I recall a junior soldier took advantage to nip into a destroyed store and stole a guitar- he got something like 5 years despite it being a first offence and an exemplary military record. 

Was it vintage?