Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cosby prosecutors take case to Supreme Court

susieice

Breaking news....The prosecutors in Bill Cosby's case are arguing the ruling that overturned his conviction in front of the Supreme Court. 

https://6abc.com/bill-cosby-supreme-court-conviction-overturned-andrea-constand-montgomery-county-district-attorney-kevin-steele/11281500/?fbclid=IwAR29_ywuK3YUSFMQKgLV_9biGwo4hSpRtWYNcWZg2lpqjjaDiiLk4gHFfjI

PHILADELPHIA -- Prosecutors asked the U.S. Supreme Court to review the ruling that overturned Bill Cosby's conviction, arguing in a petition Monday that a decision announced in a press release does not give a defendant lifetime immunity.

Prosecutors said the ruling could set a dangerous precedent if convictions are overturned over dubious closed-door deals. They have also complained that the chief judge of the state's high court appeared to misstate key facts of the case when he discussed the court ruling that overturned Cosby's conviction in a television interview.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, susieice said:

Breaking news....The prosecutors in Bill Cosby's case are arguing the ruling that overturned his conviction in front of the Supreme Court. 

https://6abc.com/bill-cosby-supreme-court-conviction-overturned-andrea-constand-montgomery-county-district-attorney-kevin-steele/11281500/?fbclid=IwAR29_ywuK3YUSFMQKgLV_9biGwo4hSpRtWYNcWZg2lpqjjaDiiLk4gHFfjI

PHILADELPHIA -- Prosecutors asked the U.S. Supreme Court to review the ruling that overturned Bill Cosby's conviction, arguing in a petition Monday that a decision announced in a press release does not give a defendant lifetime immunity.

Prosecutors said the ruling could set a dangerous precedent if convictions are overturned over dubious closed-door deals. They have also complained that the chief judge of the state's high court appeared to misstate key facts of the case when he discussed the court ruling that overturned Cosby's conviction in a television interview.

Thanks for posting this thread, but man this is so redicules, I am so tire of weath, politcally connected, or just plain old famos people getting away with crimes they commited for whatever reason. Its not that I am jealous in any way, its the fact that the victims deserve to see the person who harmed them to suffer for his crimes, they just deserve no less.!:(

• Like 4

The news tonight said he only served three years of his sentence. These prosecutors are trying to overturn the ruling that overturned his conviction. That should have never happened. Cosby wasn't only convicted of sexual assault, but also of drugging women so they couldn't really fight back. They were borderline unconscious. The NYT doesn't seem to think the Supreme Court will hear the case. I sure hope they do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/29/arts/television/bill-cosby-supreme-court.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This case isn't about Cosby. It's about Due Process and the right to remain silent! 

I'm not saying Cosby is innocent, by all accounts he is guilty as sin. But the testimony that ultimately led to his conviction exists only because Cosby had his Fifth Amendment Rights taken away from him. Cosby was tried in civil court by one of his victims and had to pay $2 million in damages to them.  The prosecutors strategically took criminal proceedings off the table in order to bolster this woman's claims in civil court (as there was not enough evidence to convict on criminal charges, according to them)! When Cosby was called to testify at the civil trial, this is roughly what could have happened:  

Prosecutor: So, Mr Cosby, could you tell us what happened the night you met this lady?

Cosby: I plead the Fifth Amendment!

Prosecutor: Your Honour, we have already promised Mr Cosby that we will not pursue criminal proceedings, now or in the future. As nothing he can say during this testimony can be used against him in a criminal trial, we demand Mr Cosby answer the questions, or be held in contempt of court.

Judge: Mr Cosby, your Fifth Amendment Rights do not apply in this case - you have a promise from the prosecutors that they will not prosecute you, you cannot be criminally charged or convicted for anything you say during this hearing as it relates to the alleged rape of this woman. You must answer the question!

That's not how the trial went because the fact is that the prosecutor took criminal charges off the table, thus eliminating Cosby's Fifth Amendment Rights before ever getting to the stand to testify - Cosby wouldn't attempt to plead the Fifth knowing it wouldn't be granted, that's just fodder for the civil court to use against him. He had no recourse to claim the Fifth Amendment. As such, Cosby was forced to testify and during this testimony admitted to drugging women!

Due process exists for a reason! No one should have their rights removed from them, then criminally charged because those rights were violated! Thus, as sad as it is for me to say, Cosby should not be in prison, the decision to release him was the right one, and I sincerely hope he stays out of prison! You don't get a fairer justice system by eliminating people's rights, no matter how apparently guilty they seem. 

The Supreme Court should slap this down easily! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

A California jury has found that Bill Cosby sexually abused a 16-year-old girl at the Playboy mansion in 1975 and awarded her $500,000 (£408,425).

The jury in Santa Monica sided with Judy Huth, who is now 64, and delivered another major courtroom defeat to the former Cosby Show star, who has been sued by a string of women.

The verdict comes a year after Cosby, 84, had a conviction for sexual assault thrown out by Pennsylvania’s top court and was freed from prison.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/jury-finds-bill-cosby-sexually-abused-teenage-girl-at-playboy-mansion-in-1975/ar-AAYIl89?

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 10:23 PM, Paranoid Android said:

This case isn't about Cosby. It's about Due Process and the right to remain silent! 

I'm not saying Cosby is innocent, by all accounts he is guilty as sin. But the testimony that ultimately led to his conviction exists only because Cosby had his Fifth Amendment Rights taken away from him. Cosby was tried in civil court by one of his victims and had to pay $2 million in damages to them.  The prosecutors strategically took criminal proceedings off the table in order to bolster this woman's claims in civil court (as there was not enough evidence to convict on criminal charges, according to them)! When Cosby was called to testify at the civil trial, this is roughly what could have happened:  

That's not how the trial went because the fact is that the prosecutor took criminal charges off the table, thus eliminating Cosby's Fifth Amendment Rights before ever getting to the stand to testify - Cosby wouldn't attempt to plead the Fifth knowing it wouldn't be granted, that's just fodder for the civil court to use against him. He had no recourse to claim the Fifth Amendment. As such, Cosby was forced to testify and during this testimony admitted to drugging women!

Due process exists for a reason! No one should have their rights removed from them, then criminally charged because those rights were violated! Thus, as sad as it is for me to say, Cosby should not be in prison, the decision to release him was the right one, and I sincerely hope he stays out of prison! You don't get a fairer justice system by eliminating people's rights, no matter how apparently guilty they seem. 

The Supreme Court should slap this down easily! 

You do make good points.  I think he needed to be in jail for longer than he was but it seems the prosecution messed it up.     

• Like 2