Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disappearance of advanced Chinese civilization finally solved

UM-Bot

Nice to know. Thanks for the post!

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

So climate change. 

pretty much the reason why most ancient civilizations died out or seemingly disappeared. mass flooding events, in particular, used to be considered taboo and even considered pseudoscience, but now we're (or many, atleast) beginning to realize that there's geographical evidence to support many mass extinction events. many simply don't realize exactly how much climate change has impacted humans throughout history. it's an absolutely fascinating subject to ponder. do yourself a favor and read up on Gobekli Tepe if you want to blow your own mind. we don't even know what it is, there are no human remains around, although an estimated 90% is still underground, so who really knows? approximately 12,000 years old...

sorry, I've been really geeking out on ancient civilizations here, lately. we've far, far underestimated the intelligence and abilities of these people. Ancient Egypt should clue people in that 'ancient' doesn't mean 'primitive'. a great guy to listen to is a man by the name of Randall Carlson, who only just recently has begun to be accepted by scientists, archeologists and geologists who for years told him, "your floods never happened". also, I dare you to take a shot every time he says 'younger dryas' 

I went off on another tangent, who would have thought? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

So climate change. 

Impossible.  Climates didn't change until James Watt invented carbon dioxide in 1776.  Greta said so, and Boris agreed.

So where the article talks about pre-historic mega-droughts, mega-rains and mega-floods, those are probably just typos.  And where it specifically states 'climate change' back in 2000 BC they obviously mean 'anything but climate change'.  Another typo.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

pretty much the reason why most ancient civilizations died out or seemingly disappeared.

How many civilisations have been trashed by war and conquest?  Diseases?  Mass suicide on the say-so of a charismatic charlatan?  Squished by dinosaurs?  I'd be interested to see a breakdown and analysis related to this.  But first we would have to agree definitions of what comprises a civilisation, and how we determine when it really has vanished.  I suspect both these would be rather subjective and swayed by our prior views.  I suspect you're correct, and climate change is a far greater factor than most people realise, but as to whether we can agree 'most' - I'd like to see the data.

39 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

a great guy to listen to is a man by the name of Randall Carlson

I've just watched ten mins of one of his lectures to get a flavour of his ideas (vid).  This guy is new to me so I'm reserving judgement until I've seen a lot more, but I'm familiar with some of the themes.  I'm immediately worried by his acceptance that the story and/or reality of Atlantis occurred 9000 years before Solon's days, and therefore firmly linking it to the Younger Dryas.  And two mins into the vid he animates his vision of Atlantis with very Egyptian-looking pyramids, but fails to elaborate on why.  My gut feeling is - here's someone trying desperately hard to shoehorn every possible data into a grand story that explains everything; someone who's as likely to exclude inconvenient facts as include corroborative fictions to bolster a fundamentally flawed theory.  But I'm open to persuasion and I'd welcome links to sites or articles you feel do him justice?

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

read up on Gobekli Tepe if you want to blow your own mind

I totally agree - what an astonishing discovery!  Twice as much time separates GT from the pyramids as them from now.  I know it's only survived so well because it was deliberately filled in, but it gives hope that bigger and older sites are still out there somewhere.  But as much as I wish that, we have to be pragmatic.  We have to find real evidence and not just look for clues in millennia-old stories of even older myths.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

How many civilisations have been trashed by war and conquest?  Diseases?  Mass suicide on the say-so of a charismatic charlatan?  Squished by dinosaurs?  I'd be interested to see a breakdown and analysis related to this.  But first we would have to agree definitions of what comprises a civilisation, and how we determine when it really has vanished.  I suspect both these would be rather subjective and swayed by our prior views.  I suspect you're correct, and climate change is a far greater factor than most people realise, but as to whether we can agree 'most' - I'd like to see the data.

I've just watched ten mins of one of his lectures to get a flavour of his ideas (vid).  This guy is new to me so I'm reserving judgement until I've seen a lot more, but I'm familiar with some of the themes.  I'm immediately worried by his acceptance that the story and/or reality of Atlantis occurred 9000 years before Solon's days, and therefore firmly linking it to the Younger Dryas.  And two mins into the vid he animates his vision of Atlantis with very Egyptian-looking pyramids, but fails to elaborate on why.  My gut feeling is - here's someone trying desperately hard to shoehorn every possible data into a grand story that explains everything; someone who's as likely to exclude inconvenient facts as include corroborative fictions to bolster a fundamentally flawed theory.  But I'm open to persuasion and I'd welcome links to sites or articles you feel do him justice?

I totally agree - what an astonishing discovery!  Twice as much time separates GT from the pyramids as them from now.  I know it's only survived so well because it was deliberately filled in, but it gives hope that bigger and older sites are still out there somewhere.  But as much as I wish that, we have to be pragmatic.  We have to find real evidence and not just look for clues in millennia-old stories of even older myths.

I'm not implying that Carlson is an utmost authority, he just puts forth a few hypotheses that have never been accepted until recently. as always, science is the study of currently observational data; it's ever evolving and I never pretend that any source or reference I post is any be-all, end-all

and it's obviously still all a bit fringe, but I'm very anxious to see what we uncover in coming years 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it is the same flood described by so many other civilization and The Bible...
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

So it is the same flood described by so many other civilization and The Bible...

Given it was caused by monsoon rains in China, what do you think?

Such localised floods have always occurred and continue to do so.  Some may even have in time been enshrined in folklore.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Your all missing the point here. They did not listen to great ancestor of Thunberg, so became industrialised and did not apologise for it.
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:25 PM, Tom1200 said:

Squished by dinosaurs?  I'd be interested to see a breakdown and analysis related to this. 

Zero.

There was 65 million years between any dinosaur and any human. 

Next rhetorical question?

—Jaylemurph

On 11/30/2021 at 6:12 PM, qxcontinuum said:

It’s almost like humans always build big cities next to large bodies of water and are therefore legitimately preoccupied with flooding…

But, no. Let’s pin it shared fiction, instead.

—Jaylemurph 

4 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Zero.

There was 65 million years between any dinosaur and any human. 

Next rhetorical question?

—Jaylemurph

Well, if we're going to give sensible answers let's make them accurate as well.  Does/did Homo habilis count as human?  If so the margin comes down to a mere 62.2 million years, give or take.