Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Notre-Dame interior faces woke 'Disney' revamp

OverSword

Paris’s fire-ravaged Notre-Dame cathedral risks resembling a “politically correct Disneyland” under controversial plans for its renovation seen by The Telegraph.

Critics have warned that the world-famous cathedral will be turned into an “experimental showroom” under plans to dramatically change the inside of the medieval building.

Under the proposed changes, confessional boxes, altars and classical sculptures will be replaced with modern art murals, and new sound and light effects to create “emotional spaces”.

There will be themed chapels on a “discovery trail”, with an emphasis on Africa and Asia, while quotes from the Bible will be projected onto chapel walls in various languages, including Mandarin.

The final chapel on the trail will have a strong environmental emphasis.

“It’s as if Disney were entering Notre-Dame,” said Maurice Culot, a prize-winning Paris-based architect, urbanist, theorist and critic who has seen the plans.

“What they are proposing to do to Notre-Dame would never be done to Westminster Abbey or Saint Peter’s in Rome. It’s a kind of theme park and very childish and trivial given the grandeur of the place,” he told The Telegraph.

Link

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

What a sad thing to do to such a historic and sacred place. For some reason I don't see the people of Paris going for this.

• Like 3

When I see the Disney channel, what I think of is how Jacob deceived the sheep of Laban to breed with males they normally wouldn't. By showing them these images at opportune times it is like a primitive example of the Disney channel.

https://www.bibleref.com/Genesis/30/Genesis-30-41.html

https://creation.com/jacobs-sheep

52 minutes ago, susieice said:

What a sad thing to do to such a historic and sacred place. For some reason I don't see the people of Paris going for this.

There is nothing objectionable for what they want to do except that they want to transform a medieval icon.  If you want to build a place with scripture projected on the walls and themed chapels then build something new and different.  Is Notre Dame not a World Heritage Site?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

There is nothing objectionable for what they want to do except that they want to transform a medieval icon.  If you want to build a place with scripture projected on the walls and themed chapels then build something new and different.  Is Notre Dame not a World Heritage Site?

I don't think it is...

Notre-Dame de Paris

notredamedeparis.fr

Notre-Dame de Paris, referred to simply as Notre-Dame, is a medieval Catholic cathedral on the Île de la Cité in the 4th arrondissement of Paris. The cathedral was consecrated to the Virgin Mary and is considered to be one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture.Wikipedia

However....it is sacred to the people of France and especially Paris. That was obvious by the way they gathered and the tears they shed when the Cathedral burned. Transforming it like this would be considered a sacrilege I think. So much of their history is in that Cathedral including the crowning of Napoleon and Josephine. Joan of Arc was proclaimed a saint there. Great works of literature, like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, revolves around it. I don't think the Parisians are going to let this happen. It means far too much to them. 
Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

IIRC, the authorities in Paris had already done some 3-D type scanning of the interior and they had a perfect data set to recreate everything on the interior to scale and exactly as it was before the fire. 

Yep... here it is:

https://www.sciencealert.com/before-the-fire-an-art-historian-had-taken-amazing-3d-scans-of-notre-dame

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

IIRC, the authorities in Paris had already done some 3-D type scanning of the interior and they had a perfect data set to recreate everything on the interior to scale and exactly as it was before the fire. 

Yep... here it is:

https://www.sciencealert.com/before-the-fire-an-art-historian-had-taken-amazing-3d-scans-of-notre-dame

This is what I think will happen. They will rebuild as closely as they can. Plans will be submitted on Dec. 9th but this must be approved by France's Minister of Culture, and he wants the restored Cathedral to look "identical" to what it looked like before the fire. There may be some compromise, but I think it will be kept pretty much to the original appearance.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/249730/paris-archdiocese-to-present-plans-for-notre-dame-cathedral-s-interior-amid-outcry

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

“What they are proposing to do to Notre-Dame would never be done to Westminster Abbey or Saint Peter’s in Rome."

Give it time.