Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

School shooting Michigan

susieice

3 hours ago, susieice said:

They were at the school that morning for a conference about their son's behavior but the school officials didn't think it was, or would get, this serious.

I know they did, but how many parents are in denial?  Especially if he has access to the guns?  Now the brother is coming out with this:

'Nothing ever seemed off.' Ethan Crumbley's older brother, 18, says the school shooting suspect, 15, was an 'average, happy kid', got good grades, was into Minecraft and WASN'T bullied as a child

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10264159/Brother-Ethan-Crumbley-says-never-exhibited-violent-tendencies.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I know they did, but how many parents are in denial?  Especially if he has access to the guns?  Now the brother is coming out with this:

'Nothing ever seemed off.' Ethan Crumbley's older brother, 18, says the school shooting suspect, 15, was an 'average, happy kid', got good grades, was into Minecraft and WASN'T bullied as a child

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10264159/Brother-Ethan-Crumbley-says-never-exhibited-violent-tendencies.html

Do agencies ever report why do students who are involved do this? Most of the time it's like he was a normal kid. Both the shooter and victims are all usually described as normal or average by media. 

• Like 2

This link is from Michigan Live. There are still 4 students in the hospital. One in serious condition, one critical and two stable. Three others, including a teacher, have been released.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/12/four-dead-terrorism-charges-video-evidence-the-latest-on-the-oxford-high-school-shooting.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, glorybebe said:

They should be charged, how did he get the gun?  I really hope if wasn't a case of "not my little angel"

Unless the parents actually aided him(either purposely or were grossly negligent), they should not be charged.  They have just lost a son too. Sadly. Many families were destroyed. :,( and for what? That is the (tragic) question. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bavarian Raven said:

Unless the parents actually aided him(either purposely or were grossly negligent), they should not be charged.  They have just lost a son too. Sadly. Many families were destroyed. :,( and for what? That is the (tragic) question. 

Hi Bavarian

Not sure what you mean by lost a son, the original post in the OP says he surrendered so they will still have him where the other parents will never see their kids again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Bavarian

Not sure what you mean by lost a son, the original post in the OP says he surrendered so they will still have him where the other parents will never see their kids again.

He’s as good as dead imho (if he was my child he’d be dead to me.) So they have lost him. Not that I feel sorry for the boy, just the victims atm. 

1 hour ago, Bavarian Raven said:

He’s as good as dead imho (if he was my child he’d be dead to me.) So they have lost him. Not that I feel sorry for the boy, just the victims atm. 

Hi Bavarian

Okay so it was just an opinion of personal bias and not a fact that the shooter died.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, glorybebe said:

Dad bought the gun on Black Friday, 4 days before the shooting. How did this kid get a hold of it and ammunition? The county prosecutor says dad didn't store them properly but didn't give details.

• Like 3

This was a horrible event and I do hope they get to the bottom of why this kid shot up the school.

Seems like it might have been something recent that happened at school.

I do blame the parents somewhat. You'd almost have to. How could this kid get to the point of killing other kids and the parents not have a clue? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

This was a horrible event and I do hope they get to the bottom of why this kid shot up the school.

Seems like it might have been something recent that happened at school.

I do blame the parents somewhat. You'd almost have to. How could this kid get to the point of killing other kids and the parents not have a clue? 

You’d be surprised at how well some children are at hiding extreme bullying , abuse, etc sadly. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

It seems callous, but why?  Nothing will change whether we know or do not know.

• Like 5

A press conference is happening now. It's on COURT TV. The parents will be charged.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

She's charged the parents. The father. It's 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter. 

Crumbley was seen by a teacher searching for ammunition on his cellphone in class and notified school officials. The next day the parents were called to school and later that day, the shooting happened. The parents were told to get their son into counselling within 48 hours. That afternoon, the mother texted her son saying don't do it. The father called 911 and told them a gun was missing and he believed his son was the shooter. I'll try to link the press conference so you can hear everything she's saying.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 3:26 PM, Bavarian Raven said:

Many families were destroyed. :,( and for what? That is the (tragic) question. 

2A.

She just said that when the teacher caught him looking at ammunition in class, his mom told him he shouldn't get caught. She's answering press questions now. The mom may be getting charged too. I'm trying to listen and type at the same time. I'll want to watch a replay too.

• Like 2

They're saying parents in the plural so I'm thinking both have been charged.

Yes, it's both. This prosecutor has lots of reasons to file these charges.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

It seems callous, but why?  Nothing will change whether we know or do not know.

Hopefully whomever is responsible, will learn from it.

Its like we have Safety Catches at work. We hope to learn though we recognize the same issues happen over and over.

The school didn't report to the police, and maybe if they had, those kids would be alive today. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, susieice said:

They're saying parents in the plural so I'm thinking both have been charged.

Yes, it's both.

Good! They appear to directly have at least some responsibility here.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Hopefully whomever is responsible, will learn from it.

Its like we have Safety Catches at work. We hope to learn though we recognize the same issues happen over and over.

The school didn't report to the police, and maybe if they had, those kids would be alive today. 

I sort of agree, but my cynical nature will point out that those responsible will not learn, it is the victims who may learn.   In a sane world, the school would have reported to the police.  But then what would the police be able to do if no crime has been committed?  They might put the family on a watch list and forestall an event, but  can they prevent these sorts of actions by early intervention?  Maybe.  That would be nice.

In our less than totally sane world, school officials are probably thinking that if they do report then they will have 2A people screaming death threats at them and their teachers in school board meetings for infringing on 2A rights.

• Like 5

Here's the press conference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toast said:

2A.

Wrong, slick. It happens because local and federal authorities are not enforcing our terroristic threatening laws. If they're not going to enforce the current laws that can stop this, well...you now see the end result. In other words, they should have arrested this kid before he went on his shooting rampage. The FBI have been sued because of their negligence on other school shooting cases already.

Edited by Gunn
  • Like 3

Maybe I missed it in the article, but (other than allegedly failing to lock the gun up properly), what are the parents “crimes”?. Because it seemed to me they were only called into the office a short time before things went south. 

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I sort of agree, but my cynical nature will point out that those responsible will not learn, it is the victims who may learn.   In a sane world, the school would have reported to the police.  But then what would the police be able to do if no crime has been committed?  They might put the family on a watch list and forestall an event, but  can they prevent these sorts of actions by early intervention?  Maybe.  That would be nice.

In our less than totally sane world, school officials are probably thinking that if they do report then they will have 2A people screaming death threats at them and their teachers in school board meetings for infringing on 2A rights.

Terroristic threats. Plain and simple. That's what they book them on. I've seen local authorities do it many times in case where criminals threaten officers, lawyers, judges in court cases. This kid made terroristic threats on social media, easy, find him, arrest him. But they don't do it. They're laxed with the law.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Bavarian Raven said:

Maybe I missed it in the article, but (other than allegedly failing to lock the gun up properly), what are the parents “crimes”?. Because it seemed to me they were only called into the office a short time before things went south. 

She explains it in the press conference.

• Like 2