Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

School shooting Michigan

susieice

12 minutes ago, susieice said:

There's shootings everyday in Philadelphia too. There's one right up above my post. Very often done by 13-16 yr olds, but they don't involve a history of drawings and plans and appeals to parents for help. This set of parents were sentenced because of all the signs and pleas for help they ignored from their son. Even Ethan said they ignored him when he asked for help. A very sad and real case of parental neglect. The school tried to send him home only hours before the shootings because of his drawings and the parents refused to take him. They both knew their son was seriously disturbed. When they heard about the shootings, dad went home to check for the gun and called 911 saying it was missing and he thought it was his son that did it. Mom texted him not to do it. The parents of the 4 victims gave impact statements at the sentencing hearing. The court took into account the hundreds of other people that were impacted by their neglect. The school was previously mentioned as an intended target like so many other school shootings. Not an afterschool fight or kids out at night.

I wonder if this will set a precedent.  In the urban street shootings, the parents often are neglectful and know their kids are running around thugging it out in the streets.  I'd argue they are just as culpable as the Crumbley's parents.

I've long said parents should also be held accountable in situations where their actions result in a death of a child. For example, we had a few cases here where small children were killed because the parents are known gang members.  Personally, I feel the parents were just as guilty as the actual shooters for putting their kids in harms way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Edumakated said:

I wonder if this will set a precedent.  In the urban street shootings, the parents often are neglectful and know their kids are running around thugging it out in the streets.  I'd argue they are just as culpable as the Crumbley's parents.

I've long said parents should also be held accountable in situations where their actions result in a death of a child. For example, we had a few cases here where small children were killed because the parents are known gang members.  Personally, I feel the parents were just as guilty as the actual shooters for putting their kids in harms way.

In this case, they were able to prove that Ethan had approached his parents for help for a while and was ignored. Ethan had issues for a while and he had asked his dad to take him to a doctor to get help and the dad told him to suck it up. He had been caught looking up bullets in school and his mom told him to learn not to get caught. 

It could set a precedent for other cases where parents neglect their children and refuse to help them when the children ask for help. As long as the case is provable.