Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Driver hit and killed nurse then took body home with him

Eldorado

An off-duty police officer allegedly hit and killed a man with his car, but rather than reporting the tragedy to 911 or his law enforcement colleagues, he instead drove home with the body and talked the situation over with his parents, according to authorities.

Louis Santiago, a police officer in Newark, New Jersey, is facing several charges that include reckless vehicular homicide and desecrating human remains after he allegedly committed a hit-and-run on 1 November, according to the Essex County prosecutor's office.

Both Mr Santiago's mother and another passenger in the car on the night of the accident are also facing charges.

MSN

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

The last time I remember something like this reported was a drunk, drugged up woman in Dallas hitting a man walking on the side of the road in a way that caused him to be lodged in the middle of her windshield.  He was still alive, but she drove home, parked the car in the garage and went in and called her friend, who was also drugged up and they sat in her living room and waited for the man to die, then dumped his body in a ditch.

A cop doing something like this is ominous in my opinion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

A cop doing something like this is ominous in my opinion.

I remember that case.  The person was still alive and could have been saved.  I think a lot of the good cops are leaving and what's left isn't the cream of the crop professionals.

• Sad 2

Just now, and then said:

I remember that case.  The person was still alive and could have been saved.  I think a lot of the good cops are leaving and what's left isn't the cream of the crop professionals.

I think that happens in waves and it depends on the police chief or sheriff.  If you have a sheriff or police chief who is a crook or drunk then you have deputies or cops who are crooks and drunks.  The good guys leave to find a better job.   But when the police chief is not a crook he will cull the bad guys.   It happened in Dallas  about 15 years ago.   The police chief was fired and the new guy fired cops every week for months, and had interview for new cops for months.    It made a big difference in interactions with the police after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think that happens in waves and it depends on the police chief or sheriff.  If you have a sheriff or police chief who is a crook or drunk then you have deputies or cops who are crooks and drunks.  The good guys leave to find a better job.   But when the police chief is not a crook he will cull the bad guys.   It happened in Dallas  about 15 years ago.   The police chief was fired and the new guy fired cops every week for months, and had interview for new cops for months.    It made a big difference in interactions with the police after that.

Hi Desertrat

Many years ago the chief of police shot his son during a discussion about his friends while cleaning his sidearm.

Yup I believed him. :whistle:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Desertrat

Many years ago the chief of police shot his son during a discussion about his friends while cleaning his sidearm.

Yup I believed him. :whistle:

Was that the guy who was fired in 2003 or 2004?   Or was that his predecessor?

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Was that the guy who was fired in 2003 or 2004?   Or was that his predecessor?

It was John Savage who was the police chief in Regina when I was growing up so that would be about 50 years ago and we lived in the wild west at that time.

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

It was John Savage who was the police chief in Regina when I was growing up so that would be about 50 years ago and we lived in the wild west at that time.

OK.   I grew up in and around Albuquerque and it was kind of the wild west too.   I remember a horse thief being the talk of the adults at one point, a heinous crime.   I was in Dallas from 2000 to 2012 & then 2014 - 216 and I remember about 2003 or 2004 the police chief was fired after several law suits.   Police were helping themselves to stuff they shouldn't have, they were harrassing people in certain neighborhoods, etc.   The new police chief fired about half the department over the course of 2 or 3 months.   He was very picky when hiring new officers.  An acquaintance was upset that her son could not get a job with the new police chief because one of the questions asked was "Have you ever shot someone?"   He said "Yes"  and they thanked him and sent him away without asking any more questions (he was a cop in a small town).  But he claims he meant with a paint gun.   What an idiot, but I couldn't explain it to her.   The new chief did not want to deal with certain things and I don't blame him.

• Like 2