Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Triple-homicide in Clifton community remain unsolved 28 years later

rashore

It was a Saturday in January 1993 when Mary Johnson failed to show up for a hair appointment. 

Concerned, the hairdresser called Johnson's daughter-in-law, and the two went to her two-story Clifton home on Cedar Street to check on her. 

When they opened the door, they discovered Johnson, 77, her husband Thomas, 81, and their 43-year-old son, David, dead from multiple stabbings.

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/local/2021/11/29/clifton-triple-homicide-spartanburg-county-cold-cases/8572972002/

• Like 3

First thought: why was the 43yr old son sharing a bedroom with his parents?

29 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

First thought: why was the 43yr old son sharing a bedroom with his parents?

Good question and I don't know. I'm having the dickens of a time trying to find any other articles on this one. It would have been nice if the archive articles had been included in the opening article. Newspaper articles have gotten harder to find as time goes by, lol. 

But since the article said it's a 5 room house, I have to wonder too. Kitchen, bathroom, the bedroom the 3 were found in.. that leave the wonder of what the other 2 rooms were used for if one of them wasn't the sons bedroom. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eerily similar to the 1972 triple homicide in NC. I started to wonder why someone would murder a couple and their adult son and not take anything. The motive that makes the most sense (to me) is for the inheritance. In both cases, the triple homicide would leave only one heir. Likely a hit since 1.) The remaining adult child would be the prime suspect and would need an alibi and 2.) no traceable weapon (aka gun) was used (and yes a knife can be traced but it's much more difficult).

NC case: 

Edited by petermattson
to add NC case