Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supreme Court seems poised to consider new limits on right to abortion

OverSword

A majority of Supreme Court justices appeared poised to consider setting new limits on the right to abortion during oral arguments Wednesday over a Mississippi law that takes direct aim at the landmark 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade. 

The Mississippi law at issue, which bans virtually all abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy, conflicts with the nearly five-decade rule that says states cannot prohibit abortion prior to when a fetus can live outside the womb, known as fetal viability, which occurs around 24 weeks.

But on Wednesday, the court’s conservatives, who constitute a six-member majority on the bench, posed sharp questions about how firmly rooted Roe’s viability standard is in the Constitution.

“If you think that the issue is one of choice, that women should have the choice to terminate their pregnancy, that supposes that there is a point at which they’ve had the fair choice, the opportunity to choice. And why would 15 weeks be an inappropriate line? Viability, it seems to me, doesn't have anything to do with choice. But if it really is an issue about choice, why is 15 weeks not enough time?” Chief Justice John Roberts asked.

Link

I think Kavanaugh expresses in part my feelings:

Kavanaugh asked multiple times why the court is better suited than Congress or the states to referee a highly divisive fight that pits the interests of pregnant people seeking abortion against the interest of fetal life.

Some cowards in the Senate should have by now introduced a bill with aims to take this out of the hands of states (which is where I disagree with Kavanaugh)and just have federal laws about it.  Why have they not written a law?  Cowards. 

Edit: I bet the ruling will be a surprise.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

I listened to some of the court testimony today, and it was very thoughtful on both sides of the argument. 

However, arguments over the risks to desperate women seem to have been ignored, oddly, which is the only argument I think outweighs the more obvious arguments. Women run the risk of severe injury in a desperate situation, and no man can understand this, very easily. 

With that said, I think the court would be wise to move in the direction of more personal responsibility. How hard is it, really, to be more careful these days? Condoms are vastly superior, for example, to what they were when Roe was first decided. 

• Like 2

Women  should only go to fifteen weeks to stop the handers.  A women should only go to fifteen weeks to stop the abortions  full terms and after birth to saved a infant `s life  

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

I still don't think anyone is going to overthrow Roe vs Wade. 

I'd simply say if the State you are in doesn't suit your needs move to one that does. 

Conservative states seem to be gaining people, while the ultra liberal states seem to be losing people. That's maybe overly simple, but its also very true. 

Want abortions up to delivery date? Move to California, or New York. They'll maybe extend the abortion timeline rather then shorten it.

Edited by DieChecker