Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What issues could a political party champion to get you excited that they seem to ignore?

OverSword

What issues could a political party champion to get you excited that they seem to ignore?

For myself there are a few (what should be) non-partisan issues that would win my vote and these are causes that are supported by the Libertarian party and a big reason I tend to give them my vote

• Civil Asset Forfeiture, in which the police seize money and property from people usually without charging them with a crime and turn it over to the DEA.  In exchange the DEA gives the police force a percentage of the money stolen and the department adds in to their annual budget.  
  • Legalization of marijuana specifically and most other drugs in general.  There would be less gun violence, less crowded jails, better quality of substances resulting in less overdose deaths and less taboo making it easier for people to be honest with others and seek help.
  • Sensible immigration reform by increasing the number of work visas issued annually, lowering the standards and increasing the infrastructure for asylum seekers. Also automatic citizenship for any adult who attended K though 12 in the USA.
  • End the War On Drugs.  The biggest failure and boondoggle since Vietnam, a huge part of our annual budget and how our civil police got so militarized and our prisons so crowded.
  • Repeal the Patriot Act.  It was not (IMO) needed at the time and is certainly not needed now.  

Well that's my short list.  What seemingly non-partisan issues that don't seem to be on any democrat or republican existing to-do-list would encourage you to support or be excited about supporting them?

• Like 8

I agree with your list and I would add that we need to curb the rampant theft from the health insurance companies.  Put congress, the senators and the president on Medicare instead of giving them free medical coverage and we could fix a broken system very quickly.   I think the state of Utah did this with all the state elected officials.  It would be a much needed reality check.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

For myself there are a few (what should be) non-partisan issues that would win my vote and these are causes that are supported by the Libertarian party and a big reason I tend to give them my vote

• Civil Asset Forfeiture, in which the police seize money and property from people usually without charging them with a crime and turn it over to the DEA.  In exchange the DEA gives the police force a percentage of the money stolen and the department adds in to their annual budget.  
  • Legalization of marijuana specifically and most other drugs in general.  There would be less gun violence, less crowded jails, better quality of substances resulting in less overdose deaths and less taboo making it easier for people to be honest with others and seek help.
  • Sensible immigration reform by increasing the number of work visas issued annually, lowering the standards and increasing the infrastructure for asylum seekers. Also automatic citizenship for any adult who attended K though 12 in the USA.
  • End the War On Drugs.  The biggest failure and boondoggle since Vietnam, a huge part of our annual budget and how our civil police got so militarized and our prisons so crowded.
  • Repeal the Patriot Act.  It was not (IMO) needed at the time and is certainly not needed now.  

Well that's my short list.  What seemingly non-partisan issues that don't seem to be on any democrat or republican existing to-do-list would encourage you to support or be excited about supporting them?

Gee if only there was a party that believed in reducing the power of the police, legalizing marijuana, compassionate immigration reform, an end to the drug war, and increased civil liberties...

Oh wait we have one of those already

image.png.53972da1aff3c3c0d78a6263eca4e7b3.png

• Haha 5

Just now, Autochthon1990 said:

Gee if only there was a party that believed in reducing the power of the police, legalizing marijuana, compassionate immigration reform, an end to the drug war, and increased civil liberties...

Nope, you are being misled.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

You can tell by all the federal bill's they're trying to pass on the those subjects.  Oh wait........Never mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You can tell by all the federal bill's they're trying to pass on the those subjects.  Oh wait........Never mind.

Gee what could possibly be occupying their time, it's not like there's a fascist opposition trying to cheat their way into power despite the majority hating them, a pandemic going on, women possibly being reduced to broodmares by removing Roe...Oh and they have to deal with two traitors who won't let them pass anything that isn't rightist as ****. 

14 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Gee what could possibly be occupying their time, it's not like there's a fascist opposition trying to cheat their way into power despite the majority hating them, a pandemic going on, women possibly being reduced to broodmares by removing Roe...Oh and they have to deal with two traitors who won't let them pass anything that isn't rightist as ****. 

You're ignorant and ridiculous, I don't know why I'm wasting my fingers typing at you.  Guess how many times they have actually tried to cement RvW into law while they had the majority and could have done it?  Instead they have allowed the hollow shell of a court ruling act as law knowing full well it was vulnerable to the type of attack it is now under. Why are you making excuses for them?  I know why actually.  Because you are just like the republicans who complain endlessly about the democrats.  The truth is you're both pretty dumb and blind.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Honestly, I didn't start this thread so people bich about the partisan issues that we can read in most other threads so let's try again.

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

What seemingly non-partisan issues that don't seem to be on any democrat or republican existing to-do-list would encourage you to support or be excited about supporting them?

If you're too much of a partisan to participate then please kiss off and post in a different thread.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

What seemingly non-partisan issues that don't seem to be on any democrat or republican existing to-do-list would encourage you to support or be excited about supporting them?

I'd agree with your list also as well as health-care reform.  I don't know how non-partisan it is but I would add to do something, anything (with scientific basis), to combat climate change.  It goes way beyond just the US's ability to address but is the issue that could potentially have the largest downside.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

who are in believe in power right now, yes? With something of a majority, right? 
Any of those things happening yet?

• Like 1

I’d go for a flat 10% personal tax rate based on your per-hour income, non-negotiable and none escapeable except via bankruptcy, also you are not taxed until voting age. That give kids on $6 an hour income a chance to build a solid foundation for the future. 
Secondly, businesses are on an equally inescapable 10% of gross income tax based on earning from within that country. The company can be based on bloody Mars for all I care (which is why Bezos and Musk are making moves to colonise the place, mark my words) if you earn a billion dollars in the US, You pay ten percent of that in tax to the US government. 

tax returns for business are nil if your net income has more then seven zeroes in it. For all other businesses, 50% returns. 
tax returns for individuals are scaled, 50% returns if you earn above the minimum wage, 90% returns if you earn below it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

I had hope about the Patriot act being repealed when Obama won and had a majority. After all the Democrats were saying it's such a horrible thing that bush did that.

But then he never did....after two terms. In fact, it got worse, we now have the NSAs whole PRISM Snowden thing lol.

It's no longer a hot button issue so I have no hopes for Biden or a future Republican candidate doing it either.

• Like 3

Significant mental health reform. I think it's a fairly nonpartisan thing that everyone wants but no politician is really doing much with at a national level 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Significant mental health reform. I think it's a fairly nonpartisan thing that everyone wants but no politician is really doing much with at a national level 

It's because they don't have to participate in the system that we have.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It's because they don't have to participate in the system that we have.

So maybe a great place to start would be to, as suggested by Desertrat56, end the specia insurance coverage for politicians and make them use medicare or buy it from a carrier the way most people have to.  That would get issues ironed out in that arena lickety split eh?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So maybe a great place to start would be to, as suggested by Desertrat56, end the specia insurance coverage for politicians and make them use medicare or buy it from a carrier the way most people have to.  That would get issues ironed out in that arena lickety split eh?

Yes, and then mental health care could be address.  We can't really do much about mental health care until we get health care as a whole straight.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

To be fair, it is a hard thing to solve.

Mental health infrastructure has 3 significant challenges.

1) Enough providers/Access

My expierence is mostly from my city, but there really are just not enough providers. The waitlist are long and everywhere. The outpatient clinic I work in deals with sucidial youth. Our waitlist is 2-3 months for the first visit.  Our hospital inpatient stay for sucidal youth can take up to 8 hours to be seen an assessed to see if they will be commited. All the stuff we refer people to have waitlist.

It is even worse with specality clinics, like for example our city only have 2 eating disorder clincs. The waitlist for those, about 6 months lol.

And the crazy thing is that our city didnt really have the sucidial/pyschosis youth mental health services much before this hospital opened a couple years ago. I see clients who literally drive 1-2 hours to get here because the littel towns they come from do not have any services.

2) Peoples ability to pay for services 

This problem is pretty straight forward, insurance only pays for so much. 

and 3) people not accepting mental health problems as real things, culturally. 

You could solve problem 1 by massivly increasing the reumbursement rates for Medicaid and Medicare. This would cause private insurance to follow. More people would enter the mental health field and more clinics would open to get the money. However, that could lead to a greater problem with problem 2). Services could be more expensive.

People often consider universal healthcare to solve problem 2). But if the payout from universal healthcare is not high enough than it could make problem 1 worse. How things currently are private insurance pays higher than medicare and medicaid. 

Problem 3 cant really be fixed by goverment. Its more of just cultural changes. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

who are in believe in power right now, yes? With something of a majority, right? 
Any of those things happening yet?

It isn't fillibuster proof. 

6 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

It isn't fillibuster proof. 

“It might not succeed, might as well not try”. Such conviction in their beliefs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

“It might not succeed, might as well not try”. Such conviction in their beliefs.

No it definitely won't succeed. How are you not aware how obstructionist the GOP is?

On 12/3/2021 at 4:54 PM, OverSword said:

I`m a Brit but the things we lack that I would like are:

1. Death penalty for serious offenders, longer prison sentences for lessor ones.

2. Let the population set the immigration policy via a legally binding referendum.

3. A great nation needs a great military.

4. Space program to setup off world colonies.

5. A massive drive into research to discover the secrets of defeating aging.

6. Removal of voting rights on topics a person is not qualified to have an opinion on. Implement state wide technocracy rather than democracy.

7. All media sources forced to state their political biases and agendas, and financial conflicts of interest, upfront. At the beginning of news programs and on the front page of written sources.

8. For those who wont get their high school qualifications stop wasting money on education for them at aged 14 and put them into apprenticeship programs instead.

9. More internal focus instead of trying to solve all other peoples problems.

Edited by Cookie Monster

Drugs is about it.

Abolish the concept of illegal drugs. Drugs for pleasure, enhancement and recreation of the masses choosing and those they don't want won't sell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ethereal_scout said:

Drugs is about it.

Abolish the concept of illegal drugs. Drugs for pleasure, enhancement and recreation of the masses choosing and those they don't want won't sell.

I dont agree with this although I am open to monitored and regulated drug zones.

Make it legal for drug cafes in those zones with strict safety laws.

8 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

No it definitely won't succeed. How are you not aware how obstructionist the GOP is?

You are a very brainwashed person.    Hope you wake up soon.  

Both the left and the right are scoundrels.  

• Like 1