Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What issues could a political party champion to get you excited that they seem to ignore?

OverSword

Nationalized Police training where Police receive the exact training regardless of State. If State budgets wouldn't allow for more training, then have the rest funded by the U.S government.

Training would include how not to Police also. Like not violating rights, doling out physical punishment, etc.. Not sure if these things are taught, but how not to Police should be included.

https://www.trainingreform.org/state-police-training-requirements

• Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, OverSword said:

What issues could a political party champion to get you excited that they seem to ignore?

For myself there are a few (what should be) non-partisan issues that would win my vote and these are causes that are supported by the Libertarian party and a big reason I tend to give them my vote

• Civil Asset Forfeiture, in which the police seize money and property from people usually without charging them with a crime and turn it over to the DEA.  In exchange the DEA gives the police force a percentage of the money stolen and the department adds in to their annual budget.  
  • Legalization of marijuana specifically and most other drugs in general.  There would be less gun violence, less crowded jails, better quality of substances resulting in less overdose deaths and less taboo making it easier for people to be honest with others and seek help.
  • Sensible immigration reform by increasing the number of work visas issued annually, lowering the standards and increasing the infrastructure for asylum seekers. Also automatic citizenship for any adult who attended K though 12 in the USA.
  • End the War On Drugs.  The biggest failure and boondoggle since Vietnam, a huge part of our annual budget and how our civil police got so militarized and our prisons so crowded.
  • Repeal the Patriot Act.  It was not (IMO) needed at the time and is certainly not needed now.  

Well that's my short list.  What seemingly non-partisan issues that don't seem to be on any democrat or republican existing to-do-list would encourage you to support or be excited about supporting them?

Good list, BTW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something I would like to see is go through the entire U.S budget and eliminate wasteful funding and spending.

Having a nation that is under control of its expenditures has always been what I would like to see.

When I hear things like "Social Security will be bankrupt by 2035" (as an example) there is no reason for this. Make laws where our lawmakers keep their hands off of this funding.

This link is just a SMALL list of things I would eliminate that are wasteful.  https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BUDGET-2021-BUD/pdf/BUDGET-2021-BUD-4.pdf

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 2

Term limits for all Congress people.

Less than lifetime appointments for judges.

Restrictions on lobbyists.  More visibility on campaign contributions and PAC's 

Congresspeople required to live in the district they represent.

Stronger monopoly laws.

As somebody else said, tax corporations in this country on what they earn in this country not where their headquarters is located. Tough to do since they have the records but I bet we could figure it out..

Much more focus on prevention of hacking into public and private data.  Treat it as if it will be the next major battlefield  in any modern conflict. 

• Like 6

The end of the for profit prison system.  If the state wants to lock someone up it should be in a prison ran and paid for by the state and not a private entity that gets paid some amount per prisoner or on how full the prison is by percentage, not sure which one they use, which then goes back and lobbies for law reform that sends people to prison for increasingly minor offenses.  The whole system is messed up and has caused incarceration to increase dramatically.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Nationalized Police training where Police receive the exact training regardless of State. If State budgets wouldn't allow for more training, then have the rest funded by the U.S government.

Training would include how not to Police also. Like not violating rights, doling out physical punishment, etc.. Not sure if these things are taught, but how not to Police should be included.

You legitimately don’t think they train police how to “not violate someone’s rights”? Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

3 hours ago, el midgetron said:

You legitimately don’t think they train police how to “not violate someone’s rights”? Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

I have no idea what each State trains its Officers, that is why I said:

3 hours ago, el midgetron said:

Not sure if these things are taught, but how not to Police should be included.

Seeing many Officers dole out punishment in the form of physical abuse, violating rights etc.. It seems they may not, or may not train enough.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Seeing many Officers dole out punishment in the form of physical abuse, violating rights etc.. It seems they may not, or may not train enough.

The police have contact with about 61.5 million different people every year.

Those interactions result in an annual average of about 1,000 deaths a yeah. I’m not sure what the number of incidents of “physical abuse” would be or exactly how you would define what “physical abuse” is. Although, if you have statistics I would take a look at them.

Only about 0.00015% of police interactions result in death. However, you then have to factor in that the overwhelming majority of people killed by the police had lethal force use on them as a response to them posing a danger to the public and or the officers. This reduces the percentage even further when considering the justified use of leather force.

Don’t get me wrong, I think police brutality is bad. However, it isn’t a systemic problem like you seem to believe. The police do a very difficult and dangerous job. I am sure the pressure and stress of which results in poor judgements and inappropriate responses in some situations. I also acknowledge that the police are people just like the rest of us. A small number of them, like the general public, aren’t good people. 

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/cbpp18st.pdf

I would definitely like to see the legalization of marijuana and better health care in general. It sucks right now and devastates the poor financially.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, South Alabam said:

In this section of an interview, Jocko Willink makes some great points and ideas about how to improve interactions between police and the public.  Well worth the watch, IMO.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, South Alabam said:

In our state the police academy is only 6 or 8 weeks.  Way too short a time to teach properly.   Other states have longer acadamy training times, but like you said, every state is different.   Firemen get better training than the police.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

In our state the police academy is only 6 or 8 weeks.  Way too short a time to teach properly.   Other states have longer acadamy training times, but like you said, every state is different.   Firemen get better training than the police.

This is what Jocko is saying in the video above. A Lack of training. It defiantly needs to be more and constant, like the military.

• Like 4