Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Just saw this outside

preacherman76

Hey everyone, hope you guys are doing well. Anyhow me and my son were just driving back from getting diner, as we pulled in the driveway this is what we saw in the sky. 

I was thinking satellites, but one by one just as they were coming overhead, they each, one at a time disappeared. Any thoughts?
image.thumb.jpeg.5fc991483f9b9988710a2a42cdd25cf1.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

Yeah it was the star base satellites or whatever. Really cool to see. Thanks for stopping in. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yeah it was the star base satellites or whatever. Really cool to see. Thanks for stopping in. 

Yep it’s a chain of Starlink satellites which would have just been released from the upper stage and are slowly separating.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timothy said:

Yep it’s a chain of Starlink satellites which would have just been released from the upper stage and are slowly separating.

Strange thing was, before they came overhead, they disappeared. 

Don’t get me wrong I fully believe they are satellites, I was just wondering what the explanation is for that?

13 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Don’t get me wrong I fully believe they are satellites, I was just wondering what the explanation is for that?

Light reflection or timed thrusters.

15 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Light reflection or timed thrusters.

Yeah I guess so. I’ve never seen a satellite blink out before. 

50 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

They were probably in Earth's shadow. I've seen this happen dozens of times while doing astrophotography.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We saw them one night last summer....

Word...get used to it.

In the next few years you will not be able to gaze into the great star filled sky without seeing a train of satellites.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Those are just a bunch of SpaceX’s StarLink satellites “chained together”. Completely explainable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Those are just a bunch of SpaceX’s StarLink satellites “chained together”. Completely explainable.

Eventually, if memory serves correctly, there will be 12,000 of them criss crossing the sky.  I think there are 60 satellites in a chain...

So...12000/60 = 2000 chains.  

Edited by joc
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, joc said:

We saw them one night last summer....

Word...get used to it.

In the next few years you will not be able to gaze into the great star filled sky without seeing a train of satellites.

In reality you will likely not see any of them.

They initially get released in lower orbit and then move much further out to their intended orbit.

Take thousands of tiny satellites and make them orbit a planet and you will see basically negligible effect on star gazing. The ISS is brighter and has more of an effect on stargazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Timothy said:

In reality you will likely not see any of them.

They initially get released in lower orbit and then move much further out to their intended orbit.

Take thousands of tiny satellites and make them orbit a planet and you will see basically negligible effect on star gazing. The ISS is brighter and has more of an effect on stargazing. 

In reality, you are correct, you will likely not see any of them...at 340 miles though, it could still be possible to see them with the naked eye ...  But never fear, Elon Musk has thought of that already...now the satellites are being manned with visors to make them more or less invisible to the naked eye.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-starlink-visors-satellites-mostly-invisible-to-naked-eye-2021-1

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

This is a good satellite spotting tool: See A Satellite Tonight (darpinian.com)

These are a couple that I like as well:

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/goisswatch-iss-tracking/id672216880

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/star-chart/id345542655

I assume they’d be on Android.

Lying on the grass one day I chanced a satellite directly overhead so faint if I took eyes off it would be lost in the blueness of sky.  I imagine would be pretty rare sight

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 1:03 PM, preacherman76 said:

Not seen them yet.  Good photo

• Thanks 1