Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US produces twice as much plastic waste as China, study finds

The Silver Shroud

The US produced 42 million tonnes of plastic waste in 2016, making it 'by far' the biggest contributor to plastic waste, a new report reveals.  

About 1 million tonnes of this total ended up in the world's oceans, according to the report from the National Academy of Sciences. 

At 42 million tonnes, the US's contribution to the world's plastic waste is more than twice as much as China, and more than the 28 countries of the European Union (including the UK) combined, the organisation claims.   

On average, every American generates 286 pounds of plastic waste per year, with the UK next on the list at 218 pounds per person per year, followed by South Korea at 194 pounds per year, it found. 

The US should create a national strategy by the end of 2022 to reduce its contribution to plastic waste, National Academies of Sciences experts say. 

The US is by far the biggest contributor to plastic waste, study finds | Daily Mail Online

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

What would the plastic be replaced with?  Glass?  Paper?  I suppose we could use washable cotton fabric bags for our shopping needs but when it comes to shipping things, I don't see any way around most of the plastics we use.  The best solution would be to make incentives for recycling.  If people realized they were literally throwing cash in the trash, they'd quickly come to their senses. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, and then said:

What would the plastic be replaced with?  Glass?  Paper?  I suppose we could use washable cotton fabric bags for our shopping needs but when it comes to shipping things, I don't see any way around most of the plastics we use.  The best solution would be to make incentives for recycling.  If people realized they were literally throwing cash in the trash, they'd quickly come to their senses. 

No easy answers. In the UK, supermarkets introduced more durable plastic shopping bags instead of the one-use ones, but all the reports are that they have made the problem worse- people treat them the same as disposable ones, and they contain more plastic:'Bags for life' exacerbating the plastic problem - Discover Wildlife

Edited by The Silver Shroud

In this state, we either pay a dime for a paper bag or bring our own.  Still plastic for produce but not grocery bags.  We use cloth totes they gave away for free when they started the push to eliminate plastic bags.  A dime for a paper bag doesn't seem like much, but it is a bit irritating and a reminder to bring your totes bags.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 12:28 AM, and then said:

You would think. The amount of deposit cans and bottles both on the the roadside and in the trash would suggest otherwise. I've known people were practically on welfare who "didn't want to bother with them"

I read the article but it didn't make it very clear.

Does China not use plastic or deliver packages? 

Is this based on production or consumption. And how in the world would the little country of UK be number 2 on a global scale.

I feel like some important detail is missing here 

On 12/5/2021 at 5:13 PM, The Silver Shroud said:

No easy answers. In the UK, supermarkets introduced more durable plastic shopping bags instead of the one-use ones, but all the reports are that they have made the problem worse- people treat them the same as disposable ones, and they contain more plastic:'Bags for life' exacerbating the plastic problem - Discover Wildlife

On 12/5/2021 at 6:58 PM, Tatetopa said:

In this state, we either pay a dime for a paper bag or bring our own.  Still plastic for produce but not grocery bags.  We use cloth totes they gave away for free when they started the push to eliminate plastic bags.  A dime for a paper bag doesn't seem like much, but it is a bit irritating and a reminder to bring your totes bags.

It’s similar to what’s being done here in Aus.

- Gradual banning of single use plastic bags/packaging.

- Pay 15c if you want to purchase a more biodegradable plastic bag for your groceries. (Or a dollar or so if you want a reusable fabric one which can be replaced for free).

- A push towards reusable bags across the board.

- Hardware stores like Bunnings have already for months offered no bags. 

• Like 1