Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New study claims seagulls aren't that stupid

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Seagulls don't exactly have the best reputation among humans. Along with pigeons, scientists have historically placed these small-brained waterbirds in a relatively low level of cognitive complexity.

Yet some of these species might be smarter than we have assumed. A new study among ring-billed gulls (Larus delawarensis) has found the first evidence these waterbirds can solve the same kinds of puzzles as birds we've crowned as the pinnacle of avian intelligence – parrots and corvids.

Among four different breeding colonies of these wild gulls, located in Newfoundland, Canada, researchers found numerous individuals capable of solving what is known as the string-pull test.

https://www.sciencealert.com/seagulls-aren-t-stupid-some-can-solve-puzzles-like-parrots-and-corvids

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.211343

• Like 4

Um, these people who thought sea gulls were stupid ... do they get out much?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm with eight bits on this one.  Nothing stupid about them.

We live near the beach on the Pacific and spend time at the local pier.

My son and I will hang out, watching the dolphins and humpbacks, (when they're passing through), enjoying our ice cream and also watching the hapless tourists, who, laden down with trays of crab for dinner, get hijacked on their way to the outdoor tables by local gulls who hang out on the roof of the restaurant waiting for easy pickings.  They just swoop down, pick up a steamy crab and fly off while the victims do the gape mouthed disbelief face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Gull's aren't stupid.  Just evil.  Utterly, utterly, evil

• Haha 1