Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experts use AI and Computer vision to determine if the famous 1967 Patterson-Gimlin film is real

jethrofloyd

7 minutes ago, Resume said:

Your claim that footie bones etc. have been discovered.

Feces, hair, prints, that's what I was referring to.  I'm not claiming they are authentic I'm saying people do find them and say they are sasquatch.  You asked for citations while quoting my own personal account from a now deceased friend and things he told me.  If you're not interested in this subject as an abstract way to entertain yourself but just want to argue then you don't have to tryto talk to me about it.  I'm not trying to convince you of this, ghost, aliens or religion.  Thanks :passifier:

Edited by OverSword

There is a mountain lion living in Los Angeles in one of the parks.  It is rarely seen. It is an elusive creature that avoids people at all costs. But people know it is there because they find scat and tracks of the mountain lion.

You might honesty wonder if a track is a mountain lion track. Is it a dog track? Maybe the track is incomplete. But the scat makes for a positive identification of a mountain lion. There is DNA in that scat that shows the animal.

The animal has the beautiful name of P-22 and lives in Griffith Park.

https://www.nny360.com/news/famed-mountain-lion-p-22-makes-dramatic-appearance-in-los-angeles/article_1453efc9-1a3c-5e21-8265-393429aaafc6.html#:~:text= P-22%2C Los Angeles’ most famous mountain lion%2C,not changed his address in the new year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Feces, hair, prints, that's what I was referring to.  I'm not claining they are authentic I'm saying people do find them and say they are sasquatch.

The very epitome of all story, no monkey.

You asked for citations while quoting my own personal account from a now deceased friend and things he told me. 

Yes, I thought you might have one

If you're not interested in this subject as an abstract way to entertain yourself

I'm interested in the psychology of fringe beliefs.

but just want to argue then you don't have to tryto talk to me about it. 

Well, when you post something like that California map thing as if it explains something, you're gonna get replies.

I'm not trying to convince you of this, ghost, aliens or religion.  Thanks :passifier:

You're just saying stuff.  Cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Resume said:

Well, when you post something like that California map thing as if it explains something, you're gonna get replies.

If you pay attention to what I was responding to then those maps aren't anything to respond to.  The person wondered why people haven't seen any in the area sing the P&G film was made.  I demonstrated that the area is very sparsely populated and then pointed out with the second map that he was wrong, people do still report sightings in the area.  Those two things are not disputable.  You need to read more carefully rather than just argue because you think something offends your own world view, which is what was really going on even with the post about what a friend told me that someone told him. Kind of ridiculous dude.

Edited by OverSword

8 minutes ago, Resume said:
14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You asked for citations while quoting my own personal account from a now deceased friend and things he told me. 

Yes, I thought you might have one

This is a huge issue in this stuff, while personal anecdotes might be all the proof a person needs for themselves stories will never even be evidence.

I once heard a very sincere witness say you ask for proof i dont know where the proof is but if you saw what i saw you would be a believer too.

Not so fast, thats moot, i didnt see what she saw or what she thinks she saw if she even saw anything.

Its a story nothing more.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stereologist said:

There is a mountain lion living in Los Angeles in one of the parks.  It is rarely seen. It is an elusive creature that avoids people at all costs. But people know it is there because they find scat and tracks of the mountain lion.

You might honesty wonder if a track is a mountain lion track. Is it a dog track? Maybe the track is incomplete. But the scat makes for a positive identification of a mountain lion. There is DNA in that scat that shows the animal.

The animal has the beautiful name of P-22 and lives in Griffith Park.

https://www.nny360.com/news/famed-mountain-lion-p-22-makes-dramatic-appearance-in-los-angeles/article_1453efc9-1a3c-5e21-8265-393429aaafc6.html#:~:text= P-22%2C Los Angeles’ most famous mountain lion%2C,not changed his address in the new year.

This is sort of the thing.  I saw a pine marten on a game trail once; it was smaller than I expected, but still spectacular because they're so rare and elusive, yet there it was.  Similarly, I saw a grey wolf near the spot I saw the marten; this was back in the day when wolves were just starting to repopulate their former ranges in WI and I felt quite lucky. Anyway, real animals are much more exciting than stories about mythical beasts.  For me anyway.

Edited by Resume
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

This is a huge issue in this stuff, while personal anecdotes might be all the proof a person needs for themselves stories will never even be evidence.

I once heard a very sincere witness say you ask for proof i dont know where the proof is but if you saw what i saw you would be a believer too.

Not so fast, thats moot, i didnt see what she saw or what she thinks she saw if she even saw anything.

Its a story nothing more.

That's not exactly true.  They are not proof.  Testimony in legal terms falls under evidence, but yeah I agree with you.

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If you pay attention to what I was responding to then those maps aren't anything to respond to.

Sure they are.

Those two things are not disputable. 

Yet, they are.

You need to read more carefully rather than just argue because you think something offends your own world view,

What should I read more carefully?  Bare assertions?

which is what was really going on even with the post about what a friend told me that someone told him.

No, I was questioning the veracity a third hand anecdote.

Kind of ridiculous dude.

I can certainly see why you might feel that way.  Asking questions isn't ridiculous to me because it leads to more knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Resume said:

This is sort of the thing.  I saw a pine marten on a game trail once; it was smaller than I expected, but still spectacular because their so rare and elusive, yet there it was.  Similarly, I saw a grey wolf near the spot I saw the marten; this was back in the day when wolves were just starting to repopulate their former ranges in WI and I felt quite lucky. Anyway, real animals are much more exciting than stories about mythical beasts.  For me anyway.

Unless you saw a bigfoot :lol:  That would probably top a pine martin.

3 minutes ago, Resume said:

Yet, they are.

No they are not.  The area is sparsely populated and people do report seeing BF.  You can't dispute that. You can dispute they are true of accurate.  This is my last post responding to you since you can't even concede what is obviously true. 

Edited by OverSword

6 minutes ago, Resume said:

This is sort of the thing.  I saw a pine marten on a game trail once; it was smaller than I expected, but still spectacular because their so rare and elusive, yet there it was.  Similarly, I saw a grey wolf near the spot I saw the marten; this was back in the day when wolves were just starting to repopulate their former ranges in WI and I felt quite lucky. Anyway, real animals are much more exciting than stories about mythical beasts.  For me anyway.

I've seen a lot of mink and every once in a while a pine marten. The only wolf I have seen was above the Arctic circle in Gates to the Arctic National Park. I'm not counting the red wolf that was in a chicken coop in Glades Cove in the Smokies.

I met someone a few years back convinced there were fisher cats in our area. He set out a number of trail cams. He moved before I got any feedback. That was a good effort.

Right now the birds at my feeder scattered and an immature Cooper's hawk landed. It's bino time

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Resume said:

That stuff is very cool,

At home I feed raccoon and possums, the armadillo just bumbles around,

Late one night coming home from work at the club i see a coyote on the side of the road just watching me drive by,

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OverSword said:

No they are not.  The area is sparsely populated

Which of course doesn't mean that human beings are absent: Hikers, hunters, homeless, extraction industry employees, fisherman, bushcraft enthusiasts, grow operations, meth labs . . .  most of which are not included in population figures,and most of which are in the back country.

and people do report seeing BF.  You can't dispute that.

Sure I can, what are you talking about?  I don't dispute that people say they had a sighting, I just have no way to verify the claim they had that sighting where and when they claim, or if they're just telling a story.  A quick reading of BFRO reports shows you that.

You can dispute they are true of accurate. 

Which I have.

This is my last post responding to you since you can't even concede what is obviously true. 

That's probably for the best considering the errors in your "truth" I've detailed above.

Edited by Resume
  • Thanks 1

Cool sighting sre when we see something and we dont know what it really is some jump to what they desire it to be Krantz said himself that when people want to see bigfoot they do, people see what they want to see,

One night we rescued ducklings and were taking them to the rehabilitater out in the country ( bithlo florida ) on a small dark road tina freaks out yelling did i see that?

Of course i missed it she described basically a chow dog but the way it shot up the road side across the road and over a fence wasnt at all dog like.

As it turned out a lot of roadside zoos here dating back decades had apes and monkeys escape or turned out and they are sighted i even saw one a victim of roadkill in the 80s,

In showing tina pictures the closest match was a babboon except she said its hair was longer and it was bulky and she said cross a babboon with a chow dog and that what it looked like, i wish i had saw it,

We will likely never know what she saw im guessing ape of some type but for now its just a story. A credulous person could insist it was you name it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

Cool sighting sre when we see something and we dont know what it really is some jump to what they desire it to be Krantz said himself that when people want to see bigfoot they do, people see what they want to see,

One night we rescued ducklings and were taking them to the rehabilitater out in the country ( bithlo florida ) on a small dark road tina freaks out yelling did i see that?

Of course i missed it she described basically a chow dog but the way it shot up the road side across the road and over a fence wasnt at all dog like.

As it turned out a lot of roadside zoos here dating back decades had apes and monkeys escape or turned out and they are sighted i even saw one a victim of roadkill in the 80s,

In showing tina pictures the closest match was a babboon except she said its hair was longer and it was bulky and she said cross a babboon with a chow dog and that what it looked like, i wish i had saw it,

We will likely never know what she saw im guessing ape of some type but for now its just a story. A credulous person could insist it was you name it.

I don't much care for monkeys, much less escaped ones.  Well, maybe chimps that smoke; I know, I know, it's bad for them, but it cracks me up.

2 hours ago, Resume said:

Yet every single brown bear was eliminated from California and that isolated area by 1922, when the population was less than 4-million.  Where did footie hide?

Unless the bear cull is what allowed Biggie to take up residence….

8 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95291100c76da9b5dfe3

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Feces, hair, prints, that's what I was referring to.  I'm not claiming they are authentic I'm saying people do find them and say they are sasquatch.  You asked for citations while quoting my own personal account from a now deceased friend and things he told me.  If you're not interested in this subject as an abstract way to entertain yourself but just want to argue then you don't have to tryto talk to me about it.  I'm not trying to convince you of this, ghost, aliens or religion.  Thanks :passifier:

I think this short collection of staggeringly ridiculous and self-contradicting statements, is worth repeating.  It really exposes the mindset of BF belief.  Oversword, you are a very valuable member .. as a warning to others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Resume said:

I don't much care for monkeys, much less escaped ones.  Well, maybe chimps that smoke; I know, I know, it's bad for them, but it cracks me up.

Over on the coast Titusville was a now defunct jungle park attraction it had lots of apes and monkeys most were turned loose when the place closed, they were aggressive and i am surprized i didnt hear of people getting attacked,

Another attraction in the 70s took you on a boat ride where 100s of squirrel monkeys piled on the boat and the people to get fed, they would also steal belongings,

Countless others just imagine the liability issues.

15 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95291100c76da9b5dfe3

And here we have yet another low end bigfoot ape suit that is better than the suit in the PGF.

Notice the muscle movements under the fur, no man could be in this costume.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I think this short collection of staggeringly ridiculous and self-contradicting statements, is worth repeating.  It really exposes the mindset of BF belief.  Oversword, you are a very valuable member .. as a warning to others.

It goes back to a person years perhaps decades back sees something in this case tracks in the snow so they decide to ignore logical and rational thinking and make claims that it can only be tracks left by bigfoot a mythological creature with no supporting evidence it exists.

That isnt science at all its just a story so the teller can feel special, it doesnt necessarily mean its made up the person might be sincere but sincerity isnt the gauge of truth the person can still be wrong.

Ego gets in the way and we know where it goes from there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Did footie thank the bear hunters for giving him living space, or did he hide behind a tree and twinkle-toe around it as they passed?

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

You're a bit of a member as well my friend.  Thanks.

Do you mind telling me what I said that was self-contradicting? 

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Do you mind telling me what I said that was self-contradicting? 

Sure:

Feces, hair, prints, that's what I was referring to.  I'm not claiming they are authentic.

Umm, he did ask for evidence, not stories - in the first sentence you tell us there's evidence, in the second you tell us it isn't evidence.

I'm saying people do find them and say they are sasquatch.

Same as above - you say people find evidence, but then you admit they only say it's BF, so again, no evidence. 

A citation does NOT include secondhand accounts from a friend.  Seriously, do you not read your own words back to yourself and think about them?  Or do you honestly not understand what citation and evidence mean?

If you're not interested in this subject as an abstract way to entertain yourself but just want to argue then you don't have to tryto talk to me about it.

He's not just talking to you.  He, and you, are posting on a public forum to which you can expect public scrutiny and responses. 

I'm not trying to convince you of this, ghost, aliens or religion.

Of course you are - if not, why are you directing your comments and argument to him?  And why raise different topics?

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Umm, he did ask for evidence, not stories - in the first sentence you tell us there's evidence, in the second you tell us it isn't evidence.

No I didn't.  I said I don't claim they're real, others do.  Here is the mistake you and others are making here.  You think I'm endorsing bigfoot.  I'm only pointing out where certain assumptions or statements are not correct.  It started when I pointed out ot wearer of hats that the area the film was shot is sparsely populated and that he was mistaken that there were no other sightings reported in that area.  I didn't say I saw him in the area.  Lets see what else you want to misrepresent about me.....

Same as above - you say people find evidence, but then you admit they only say it's BF, so again, no evidence. 

Testimony is considered evidence.  People have been convicted of murder with nothing but testimony.  So not contradicting myself. Don't confuse evidence with proof.

A citation does NOT include secondhand accounts from a friend.  Seriously, do you not read your own words back to yourself and think about them?  Or do you honestly not understand what citation and evidence mean?

I never said that was a citation. Was pointing out there is no way I can give a citation for a third hand story told to me and was confused why he would ask for one.

He's not just talking to you.  He, and you, are posting on a public forum to which you can expect public scrutiny and responses. 

I felt harassed.  Explained that if he didn't want to participate in a conversation but only wanted, like you, to read things into what I was typing for the pleasure of attacking then he needn't bother.  

Of course you are - if not, why are you directing your comments and argument to him?  And why raise different topics?

Perhaps read the exchange all the way through starting with my reply to Sir Wearer of Hats.  The entire time the only argument I give is trying to point out where he is either misrepresenting or misinterpreting what I say.   Same goes for you apparently.  Read more carefully and don't try to read more into it than what I type.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Testimony is considered evidence.

Not to establish a taxon it isn't

People have been convicted of murder with nothing but testimony. 

Not this bigfoot shibboleth again.  The Innocence Project specializes in helping the wrongfully convicted get released often due to flawed testimony.  This is why anecdotes are considered **** evidence

So not contradicting myself. Don't confuse evidence with proof.

Indeed. Proof is the purview of mathmatics, not science; science tests hypotheses and comes to provisional conclusions based upon the evidence.  So far, footie hasn't even risen to the level of hypothesis.

Edited by Resume
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1