Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

White House announces diplomatic boycott of Beijing Olympics


OverSword
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

 

The White House has announced a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Beijing Olympics, saying the U.S. will not send any government officials to the Chinese capital for the Winter Games.

“The Biden administration will not send any diplomatic or official representation to the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympic games given [China's] ongoing genocide and crimes against humanity in Xinjiang and other human rights abuses,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters on Monday.

 

Link

Not far enough IMO.  Every country that values human rights and liberty should have a full boycott against this abusive nation's olympic games.  Should also withhold funding for the criminally corrupt IOC.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Awesome. Biden and the WTA doing a good thing B)

Sports are way less complicated than trade. We do not have to play sports with someone who won't respect some basic rights. 

Edited by spartan max2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Awesome. Biden and the WTA doing a good thing B)

Sports are way less complicated than trade. We do not have to play sports with someone who won't respect some basic rights. 

They are allowing our athletes to participate and are not sending any diplomats.  That's the difference between a full boycott and a diplomatic boycott.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"But Mr. Carlson said Biden's a slave to China!!!1"

 

Good move, it's the same thing we did when the Soviets where being pricks back in the day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

They are allowing our athletes to participate and are not sending any diplomats.  That's the difference between a full boycott and a diplomatic boycott.

Oh nevermind. I didn't read the article.

Yeah that's pretty lame then. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

"Good move, it's the same thing we did when the Soviets where being pricks back in the day. 

No it's not.  We did a full boycott on the soviets.  No diplomats and no athletes.  This would be the correct move in this case too, given all the sabre rattling in their region and rights violations in their country.  This is a bit of a weak move, but better than nothing I guess.  The people of China will probably have no idea since we will have athletes representing us there.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Autochthon1990 said:

"But Mr. Carlson said Biden's a slave to China!!!1"

has he done anything to actually affect China and not just pantomime a “we’re standing for (checks notes) democracy” act? No. He’d be a rubbish stooge if after all that’s been reported went “nothing to see here, move on. China’s a lovely place for a holiday”. Jerks done literally the barest minimum to make it look like he’s taken a strong stance. 
which is more than the stuffed jacket potato of a Prime Minister we have has done. 

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

has he done anything to actually affect China and not just pantomime a “we’re standing for (checks notes) democracy” act? No. He’d be a rubbish stooge if after all that’s been reported went “nothing to see here, move on. China’s a lovely place for a holiday”. Jerks done literally the barest minimum to make it look like he’s taken a strong stance. 
which is more than the stuffed jacket potato of a Prime Minister we have has done. 

Can you name a politician that actually has stood up to China?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

No it's not.  We did a full boycott on the soviets.  No diplomats and no athletes.  This would be the correct move in this case too, given all the sabre rattling in their region and rights violations in their country.  This is a bit of a weak move, but better than nothing I guess.  The people of China will probably have no idea since we will have athletes representing us there.

It is early yet.  In the world poker game where every country cheats, not showing all the cards at once can be an advantage.  We put down one card, but we have room to respond in any direction. China can call, raise or fold.  If they fold and reverse their policies, (not likely IMO) we could  reward that by backing off a bit and sending anyone from the Sec. of State to the assistant to the assistant undersecretary for the preservation of indigenous languages.  If they raise, we can still raise them back and pull athletic participation. We have more cards to play and an opportunity to see just how much China wants to stay in this world game. 

Regardless, the people of China  will get the information fed by the state. It is easy for them to put the hate on us and tell their citizens it was our imperialist capitalist duplicity that kept us away. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Regardless, the people of China  will get the information fed by the state. It is easy for them to put the hate on us and tell their citizens it was our imperialist capitalist duplicity that kept us away. 

A good portion of them won't believe it.  They know how their government is.  I was talking to a guy a while back from China that said back when you were able to remove you cell phone battery he and his friends wouldn't have a conversation until everyone in the room had pulled them out of their phones.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Can you name a politician that actually has stood up to China?

*sigh* Peter Dutton.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

Not far enough IMO.  Every country that values human rights and liberty should have a full boycott against this abusive nation's olympic games.  Should also withhold funding for the criminally corrupt IOC.

No argument from me, but to many of the smaller counties are afraid of the repercussions. However I also think it's  a sad dam shame that politics are even effecting The Olympics. Because in reality the athletes are ones who are  getting screwed and this may be the last chance for some of them to ever win! :no:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
12 hours ago, OverSword said:

Can you name a politician that actually has stood up to China?

Erm....Donald Trump.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Erm....Donald Trump.

Yeah, but just ask 50% of the people on this website, he did it wrong :angry:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have heard about the genocide of the Uyghur people of China. Apparently the Uyghur are a native minority of northwest China. People are calling it a genocide as the more populous Hans Chinese are moving into their territory and overrunning them. They are being put into re-education camps so as to accept the Communist government. Tactics are being used such as offering them a drink and a cigarette to test them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/08/world/asia/china-uighur-muslim-detention-camp.html

https://theconversation.com/explainer-who-are-the-uyghurs-and-why-is-the-chinese-government-detaining-them-111843

 

The Hans Chinese is the most populous people on Earth. This has always been the case though. Since the year 2 A.D. the Hans Chinese were at about 60 million people. That was about a 1/4 of the whole world's population. This goes along with what Solomon said ages ago that, "There is nothing new under the Sun." Everything is just increasing.

http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/special/china_1950_population.htm

The Chinese are also pushing digital currency. Physical money is being abolished for digital currency that is run by the government. People can pay with their phones or even with a chip in their hand. This would allow all transactions to be tracked, which is harder to do with anonymous paper money.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-creates-its-own-digital-currency-a-first-for-major-economy-11617634118

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/05/chinas-digital-yuan-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work.html

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A respectable start, but still feels like doing a symbolic gesture, rather then something that would actually affect China. China respects force, so just words will be ignored.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OOOh.

Did he write a strongly worded letter as well?

Weary, pedantic, uncreative and pathetic theatrics.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe he sent China a mocking Twitter post... Ohhhhh... That will learn 'em.

Or maybe he hit them with a "C'Mon Man!".

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, quiXilver said:

OOOh.

Did he write a strongly worded letter as well?

Weary, pedantic, uncreative and pathetic theatrics.

 

He included SEVERAL words either fully capitalised or underline as well. You know how severe a reprimand that is!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.