Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

7,000,000 posts

Saru

I wonder, Saru, does that number include the posts that were deleted?

• Haha 5

WELL DONE US!

Why And How Successful Teams Celebrate Wins And Failures

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I wonder, Saru, does that number include the posts that were deleted?

That's a difficult question to answer - there are different types of 'deletion' ( hard-deletion and 'unapproved'. )

I'm not sure how Invision (or the forum software we used before Invision) handles or did handle these in relation to the overall post count.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Saru said:

That's a difficult question to answer - there are different types of 'deletion' ( hard-deletion and 'unapproved'. )

I'm not sure how Invision (or the forum software we used before Invision) handles or did handle these in relation to the overall post count.

Ok, then just imagine that number does nòt include deleted posts...

The real number would be at least trice as high!

Still, a great thing to celebrate!

And I am glad I have been one of those adding to the number, although I also am one of those who had quite a great number of posts deleted, for good reasons.

Mea culpa.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, OverSword said:

7 million posts and @Helen of Annoy responsible for 6 Million of them :D

Hmmm... not in the subforums Ì frequent most.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Hmmm... not in the subforums Ì frequent most.

Speak of the devil and... I can't appear everywhere :angry: 

• Haha 8

Saru- how does UM handle storage? Do forums like these have huge rooms full of servers? When do you decide to delete old stuff? Are we being irresponsible starting trivial threads, by using up space? How did UM fund the forum in the past (I know you have recently started using Patreon)? I've often wondered about these things.

• Like 3

Oh oh... 

I hear a recount coming along... 

~

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Saru- how does UM handle storage? Do forums like these have huge rooms full of servers?

No, we used to have two servers, but these days we have a single, higher spec server as its easier to manage.

When do you decide to delete old stuff?

We don't delete anything unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Are we being irresponsible starting trivial threads, by using up space?

No, individual threads take up an insignificant amount of space, however avoiding unnecessary file attachments can help.

How did UM fund the forum in the past (I know you have recently started using Patreon)?

UM has typically relied on advertising to support itself, however this has become a lot less reliable in recent years, forcing a lot of (especially smaller) sites towards subscription-based models. 

Just last week, another advertising network we use declared it would stop supporting smaller sites in favor of large, high-traffic sites.

This is why Patreon is so critical - ad revenue keeps going down, but our server costs etc. stay the same.

• Thanks 5

I have something to say every day. When I look at my posts count, I wonder if some of my weren't deleted. :lol:

• Haha 3

On 12/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, Saru said:

Just in time to complement UM's 20th year, we have just hit another major milestone - 7 million posts!

My sincerest thanks once again to everyone who has posted on the forums over the last two decades - your contributions have made this possible.

Extra special thanks to our moderators for keeping everything running smoothly and to our Patreon subscribers for helping to keep us afloat.

( Haven't subscribed to our Patreon yet ? Click here for details. )

It took us just over four years to go from 6 million to 7 million posts, so we should hit 8 million sometime around 2025 :P

@acute deserves a steak dinner for all his contributions. Or maybe a new laptop.:yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hawken said:

@acute deserves a steak dinner for all his contributions. Or maybe a new laptop.:yes:

As a neutral observer, I agree that acute is the funniest person on the planet, and a huge asset to UM.

He deserves a banquet of his choice, and a new laptop, and a case of 24 Scrumpy Jack ciders, and a big box of Lindor Chocolate Truffles, and maybe other things he might remember tomorrow.

• Haha 5

On 12/7/2021 at 12:23 PM, Helen of Annoy said:

Speak of the devil and... I can't appear everywhere :angry: 

Helen take it easy on him I think he means well!:D

Hope this finds you doing very well, take care my Sister!:tu:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 3:32 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Helen take it easy on him I think he means well!:D

Hope this finds you doing very well, take care my Sister!:tu:

If you only thìnk I mean well, you better should have said nothing, lol!

But you were right, though.

It's OverSword who, of course jokingly, suggested Helen is responsible for 75 % of the total of posts. In short: she posts a lot, apparently.

But not in the subforums that I frequent most...

:P

• Like 1