Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija

SashafromOregon

I am an open minded , non judgemental 45 yr old woman....who played with an Ouija Board by herself in 1999 and whom has never been the same. Curiosity has nearly killed this cat....for real,no joke.Maybe it was my life's path or journey....I understand that...but I swear to God...all of them...or the highest of good power of all that is kind and genuine and pure with only good intentions....that nobody should ever play with an Ouija Board ever.No matter what.Even if they think they are protected,or discerning enough to know better.....Do not play with one! I have studied about the subject.... from all points of view,and found many non BS true cases of it ruining lives.Wether it being a psychological deviation or spiritual malady created....or both.Something is very wrong from it.Please please hear your positive self and all those that love you that have passed on...and know that NONE of them will ever communicate through a board.They will communicate through memories,smell, spontaneous thoughts of them,songs,and familiar phrases.Never trust a board ,no matter what it seems to know,or how kind of angelic it seems to be......It is a tool of deception at all times.My opinion is not of a holy rolling ,bible thumping ideation. Positive energy towards all that read this and may you take heed and share this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome aboard, Sasha.

Was there any specific aspect of your experience you'd like to discuss, or was that just a public service announcement?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, all the spiritually wise people I respect tells the amateur not to dabble. Thanks for the reminder. The spirit realm is real and the lower levels can deceive and attach.

• Like 1

Ouija Boards are novelty toys.

There is nothing dangerous about them.

I've "used" them dozens and dozens of times in my life and literally nothing ever happens aside from minor, irrelevant motion.

Words don't get spelled out. Yes and No don't get pointed to.

Even when other people are participating, it has never done anything supernatural. A little movement? Sure. But nothing to indicate that any intelligence is trying to communicate.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Ouija Boards are novelty toys.

There is nothing dangerous about them.

I've "used" them dozens and dozens of times in my life and literally nothing ever happens aside from minor, irrelevant motion.

Words don't get spelled out. Yes and No don't get pointed to.

Even when other people are participating, it has never done anything supernatural. A little movement? Sure. But nothing to indicate that any intelligence is trying to communicate.

That's just your opinion. Others have had different experiences. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, SashafromOregon said:

I am an open minded , non judgemental 45 yr old woman....who played with an Ouija Board by herself in 1999 and whom has never been the same. Curiosity has nearly killed this cat....for real,no joke.Maybe it was my life's path or journey....I understand that...but I swear to God...all of them...or the highest of good power of all that is kind and genuine and pure with only good intentions....that nobody should ever play with an Ouija Board ever.No matter what.Even if they think they are protected,or discerning enough to know better.....Do not play with one! I have studied about the subject.... from all points of view,and found many non BS true cases of it ruining lives.Wether it being a psychological deviation or spiritual malady created....or both.Something is very wrong from it.Please please hear your positive self and all those that love you that have passed on...and know that NONE of them will ever communicate through a board.They will communicate through memories,smell, spontaneous thoughts of them,songs,and familiar phrases.Never trust a board ,no matter what it seems to know,or how kind of angelic it seems to be......It is a tool of deception at all times.My opinion is not of a holy rolling ,bible thumping ideation. Positive energy towards all that read this and may you take heed and share this.

Any obsessive-compulsive behavior is indicative of a potentially harmful underlying condition that should be addressed. The actual action one is repeating can itself be benign and harmless. I don't see Ouija as anything other than a harmless amusement, which--like any obsessive-compulsive behavior-is taken far too seriously by individuals with an underlying obsessive-compulsive disorder.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

That's just your opinion. Others have had different experiences. :)

What is your point?

I'm well aware that others have different experiences.

It's "just" my opinion?

No ****. Who else's opinion would it be?

Is my opinion any less valid than anyone else's?

• Thanks 5

The ouija board works through the ideomotor effect and the subconscious. The only danger is to those with mental illness.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Yep, all the spiritually wise people I respect tells the amateur not to dabble. Thanks for the reminder. The spirit realm is real and the lower levels can deceive and attach.

All those "spiritually wise" individuals were once petty dabblers themselves.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

All those "spiritually wise" individuals were once petty dabblers themselves.

I don't think that is the most common path. I think some are inherently more clairvoyant and psychic and develop by working from there with their abilities. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I don't think that is the most common path. I think some are inherently more clairvoyant and psychic and develop by working from there with their abilities. 

Mental illness is quite common.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Mental illness is quite common.

I don't consider those who I learn from to be mentally ill but sensitive to real things outside the range of the physical senses. Closed-mindedness can be a mental issue that is impoverishing to the intellect.

Been a little while Xeno old chap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I don't consider those who I learn from to be mentally ill but sensitive to real things outside the range of the physical senses. Closed-mindedness can be a mental issue that is impoverishing to the intellect.

Gullibility can be a sign of low intelligence. As it is said that a sucker is born every minute. And the funny thing is that those with mental health issues such as schizophrenia were once considered to be "connected to a higher plane". That was before we had better knowledged and learned that certain chemical imbalances exist. You put way too much stock in charlatans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Gullibility can be a sign of low intelligence. As it is said that a sucker is born every minute. And the funny thing is that those with mental health issues such as schizophrenia were once considered to be "connected to a higher plane". That was before we had better knowledged and learned that certain chemical imbalances exist. You put way too much stock in charlatans. 

Closed-mindedness can be a sign of low intelligence. 

Schizophrenia is not yet understood and may involve too porous filters to other planes leading to confusion and hallucinations.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Closed-mindedness can be a sign of low intelligence. 

Yep, you're pretty closed minded to the explanations for the phenomena you so adamantly believe in. 

Schizophrenia is not yet understood and may involve too porous filters to other planes leading to confusion and hallucinations.

You'll have to factually expand on this are I'm calling BS on it. 

• Like 2

Get together with two of your friends, with one person being assigned to make a ouija board with scrambled characters (use bristol board, or even an 8.5in x 11.5in piece of paper). The only person who knows the order of these characters is the board maker.

The board maker will not be allowed to actively participate in touching the planchette, but will be assigned as the observer, recording responses from the board; to further mitigate error, record the session using a phone's video camera.

Those touching the planchette will be forced to look in a direction such that they cannot see the board at all (maybe wearing a blindfold, or a dog cone--that could work too). They should not be focusing on the observer at all because non-verbal cues could influence the results.

The board maker will ask questions that ONLY they know the answers to, and the sessions will be focused on contacting spirits of people that the observer knows. It should not matter as to who is guiding the board as the spirt will be the one allegedly guiding the planchette.

I guarantee you that absolutely NOTHING legible will be spelled out. It will be nonsensical gibberish.

You could always just use a blindfold, too, with scrambled letters, but scrambled letters are important because most people are familiar with the format of the board and memory of the character locations could influence the results.

• Like 4

The only thing to fear is fear itself 

Ie Humans can not be harmed by external  "evil entities" but can certainly  be harmed by their own fears and psychological needs  

That is just my opinion of course but 70 years worth including a lot of messing around with Ouija bards as a teenager

Of course I am biased.

Ive been protected all my life by  long alleles, good parenting, a good education, common sense, and logic    I have no mental illnesses and  have never suffered from  depression or anxiety 

I happen to believe that i am also  protected by powerful forces of good which dont allow room for evil in my life, either by me towards others, or by others towards me  Hence my bias.

I don't see evil forces a t work in my world (other than the actions of some evil humans)   and so cant say they exist, but tha t might be because I am completely protected from  them tothe point where the y simply do not exist in my world 

To me, Ouija boards are like computer games 

They  might harm some vulnerable individuals, and cause mental  problems or poor behaviours due to underlying psychological tendencies or illnesses   But for the general population, they will do no harm, and can be great fun.

As an aside, I've done thousands of palm readings ( for entertainment, free and on request)  in my life, and never had any one complain (eg be worried or scared, or challenge my accuracy  )  about even  one of them :)   

Historically, priests hated other forms of magic because it was competition.  Hence all forms outside the bible  (for example)  are declared anathema

Edited by Mr Walker

7 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Get together with two of your friends, with one person being assigned to make a ouija board with scrambled characters (use bristol board, or even an 8.5in x 11.5in piece of paper). The only person who knows the order of these characters is the board maker.

The board maker will not be allowed to actively participate in touching the planchette, but will be assigned as the observer, recording responses from the board; to further mitigate error, record the session using a phone's video camera.

Those touching the planchette will be forced to look in a direction such that they cannot see the board at all (maybe wearing a blindfold, or a dog cone--that could work too). They should not be focusing on the observer at all because non-verbal cues could influence the results.

The board maker will ask questions that ONLY they know the answers to, and the sessions will be focused on contacting spirits of people that the observer knows. It should not matter as to who is guiding the board as the spirt will be the one allegedly guiding the planchette.

I guarantee you that absolutely NOTHING legible will be spelled out. It will be nonsensical gibberish.

You could always just use a blindfold, too, with scrambled letters, but scrambled letters are important because most people are familiar with the format of the board and memory of the character locations could influence the results.

Great suggestions, but it would make the operating principle of the Ouija board unworkable Ie the spirit operates through the medium of one or more hosts.

It might tell them a name, but if they cant see the  letters they cant spell the name out   It is not the spirit which  operates the hands.  The spirit works through the mind of the mediums who then point to the letters etc. as directed by the spirit. 

ps I don't really think Ouija boards contact the dead (although anything is possible)  but,    given the theoretical  operating  principle, they couldn't work if the operators couldn't see the letters The spirit cant see the letters  (it has no physical form )  but directs the operators' minds, and the y spell out the words put into their mind by the spirit   

At least that is my understanding of how it theoretically works. 

A better test might be for one person to  write out their questions in secret and put them in a sealed envelope That person would then use only thought to contact  (and question) the sprit.

if the board gave answers which corresponded to the questions in the sealed envelope,  which no one else  had seen, now that  would be interesting,  particularly if the questioner was not included in those operating the board. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

It is not the spirit which  operates the hands.  The spirit works through the mind of the mediums who then point to the letters etc. as directed by the spirit. 

Sounds like you're making an assumption as to the functionality of the planchette, like I did. Growing up it was never my understanding (nor the understanding of anybody else that I knew of, interestingly) that the spirit operated through the mind; rather, it "physically" guided the planchette, not communicate the movements/messages into the mind of the "medium". That sounds more like a séance, to me. 

At least that is my understanding of how it theoretically works. 

Our understandings differ! Neither of us can prove how it's supposed to work, in actuality.

A better test might be for one person to  write out their questions in secret and put them in a sealed envelope That person would then use only thought to contact  (and question) the sprit.

If the boards actually worked in the way that you posited, then absolutely.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 3

What next on our psychological, child's game, thriller list, the cosmic significance of "spin the bottle"?

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

What next on our psychological, child's game, thriller list, the cosmic significance of "spin the bottle"?

It's a tool of satan.

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's a tool of satan.

The devil you say!

• Thanks 1

In America, Ouija may have been less about spooks and more about a way to have sex without the gentleman needing to understand how hook clasps worked.

The ads were often quite forthcoming about this aspect of the product:

ouija01.thumb.jpg.ab2fa507c445321d2970c9b8cf98273e.jpg

Norman Rockwell, who was as American as apple pie, plainly understood. Check out this famous Saturday Evening Post cover (speaking of applie pie American):

ouija02.jpg.2b88b230da02ef7c1dac91dc413383bb.jpg

Note the flushed cheeks and relative body postures. These people are visibly getting their money's worth.

Ouija isn't about spirituality, religion or belief, and never was, at least not in the US of A.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

On 12/8/2021 at 3:31 AM, papageorge1 said:

The same spiritually wise who make money off hoaxes correct?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

The same spiritually wise who make money off hoaxes correct?

No, the spiritually advanced are not interested in hoaxing or undeserved money. And also some so-called skeptics may label things 'hoaxes' because they don't understand some deeper effects.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked