Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija

SashafromOregon

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

You know my friend some of those who are laughing at your comments are the truly broken ones. What’s truly sad is that the most screwed up people only get enjoyment out of attacking you because it makes them feel better about their own sad lives. 

Except that doesn't apply here at all Manwon.

This is a discussion forum.

Indeed everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when you put your opinion up on a forum you are inviting all forms of reactions from supportive to adversarial.

I'm not assuming you were referring to me in the above quote, but I still felt the need to respond. Your mischaracterizations as to the "why" of certain responses are pretty lame in my opinion. Personally, I laugh at loads of posts on here because, at least some part of the post makes me laugh/giggle/guffaw.

I could just as easily claim that every poster who writes in support of paranormal/supernatural claims is just severely depressed and looking to feel special.

While that may be the case with some, I know some people are just interested in discussing things.

There are varying levels of how nice and respectful or combative and abrasive responses may be.

Compared to the rest of the internet and most comment sections and poorly moderated forums, this site is beyond tame.

You can jump to the illusuary defense of anyone you like, but the poster you are currently defending is consistently inviting harsh criticism to the unfounded assertions and the asinine uncalculated garbage meter "readings" he makes.

I'm sure he's well aware of the controversial approach he takes and when pressed he always cowards out and runs away to the next thread to spout his indefensible positions.

I've seen you come to the defense of a few posters who have had a few other posters "gang up" on them.

While semi admirable, I find it odd.

It's sad to me that you feel the need to try and swoop in and defend people that say what they say on their own volition. We are mostly adults here and should know that most of the discussion here is revolving around controversial topics.

To repeat, I'm well aware that every one is entitled to their opinion, but so is everyone else entitled to their opinion about another's opinion. 

Surely that the point of a discussion forum, no?

What good would it be to discuss anything with a bunch of people who all agree on every single thing?

Now, I'm not advocating being abusive to anyone, but there are plenty of instances with your defendant (and plenty others for that matter) that they are wholly incapable of defending their positions.

It's incredibly frustrating when people make bald assertions and can't defend them. Or defend them so poorly yet still claim their assertions have any merit.

As to the OP :

Ouija Boards are a novelty item.

Nobody should be scared to use one as much as they should be scared to play Dungeons and Dragons.

The burden of proof is laid upon they who are making a claim.

In this case, the OP is claiming Ouija Boards are some sort of conduit to malevolent forces.

There is absolutely nothing but anecdotes supporting such a claim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

It's incredibly frustrating when people make bald assertions and can't defend them. Or defend them so poorly yet still claim their assertions have any merit.

The frustrating part is when constructive criticism is offered and tips to improve opinion formation are given, they are rejected. While the individual still claims to think critically. 

5 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Nobody should be scared to use one as much as they should be scared to play Dungeons and Dragons.

Well. If there is a predisposition for mental illness, a current mental illness, then caution should be used. But I agree. It's a cheaply made overpriced toy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Well. If there is a predisposition for mental illness, a current mental illness, then caution should be used. But I agree. It's a cheaply made overpriced toy.

Agreed.

Then again, in regard to predispositions, do we extend that to watching violent movies or playing violent video games?

It's all about the individual being susceptible to their world view, which we all are.

But it's kind of like the Butterfly Effect (the concept, not the movie) in that we can't really predict the influence certain things have on individuals.

Some people grow up watching their alcoholic parents and in turn never touch alcohol in their lives while others grow up repeating the cycle.

I think it would be funny if you needed a doctor's clean bill of mental health in order to purchase a Ouija Board!

We, as a society, put age limits on things we think might adversely affect children. Alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

It's a really slippery slope when it comes to preventing adults from doing certain things, but I definitely agree that those individuals who are predisposed or may have mental illnesses are much more susceptible to believing claims like the OP's.

And it's a bit difficult to leave the discernment to the the individual who may or may not have a legitimate mental illness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been slaying dragons, slaughtering Daedra and eviscerating bandits and casting destruction and alteration spells, all day. My mental health couldn't be better either, so don't tell me Skyrim isn't real. I was an adventurer like you once, then I took an arrow in the knee....:w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Except that doesn't apply here at all Manwon.

This is a discussion forum.

Indeed everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when you put your opinion up on a forum you are inviting all forms of reactions from supportive to adversarial.

I'm not assuming you were referring to me in the above quote, but I still felt the need to respond. Your mischaracterizations as to the "why" of certain responses are pretty lame in my opinion. Personally, I laugh at loads of posts on here because, at least some part of the post makes me laugh/giggle/guffaw.

I could just as easily claim that every poster who writes in support of paranormal/supernatural claims is just severely depressed and looking to feel special.

While that may be the case with some, I know some people are just interested in discussing things.

There are varying levels of how nice and respectful or combative and abrasive responses may be.

Compared to the rest of the internet and most comment sections and poorly moderated forums, this site is beyond tame.

You can jump to the illusuary defense of anyone you like, but the poster you are currently defending is consistently inviting harsh criticism to the unfounded assertions and the asinine uncalculated garbage meter "readings" he makes.

I'm sure he's well aware of the controversial approach he takes and when pressed he always cowards out and runs away to the next thread to spout his indefensible positions.

I've seen you come to the defense of a few posters who have had a few other posters "gang up" on them.

While semi admirable, I find it odd.

It's sad to me that you feel the need to try and swoop in and defend people that say what they say on their own volition. We are mostly adults here and should know that most of the discussion here is revolving around controversial topics.

To repeat, I'm well aware that every one is entitled to their opinion, but so is everyone else entitled to their opinion about another's opinion. 

Surely that the point of a discussion forum, no?

What good would it be to discuss anything with a bunch of people who all agree on every single thing?

Now, I'm not advocating being abusive to anyone, but there are plenty of instances with your defendant (and plenty others for that matter) that they are wholly incapable of defending their positions.

As to the OP :

Ouija Boards are a novelty item.

The burden of proof is laid upon they who are making a claim.

In this case, the OP is claiming Ouija Boards are some sort of conduit to malevolent forces.

There is absolutely nothing but anecdotes supporting such a claim.

You are completely correct none of my comments were directed at you in anyway. Here the thing for me and your right I will stick up for those who are being ganged up upon, but only if that person’s eccentricities are harmless and in reality hurt no one. I am aware of the subject matter of thread my friend and I also believe those boards are meant for entertainment and nothing else. The reason I hate to see people kicked when they are down and even after that continually stepped on is because the only thing I true hate are bullies. I have seen bullies attack and mistreat people in many places around the world, and while those bullies left physical injuries,  mentally bullying can also be painful. 

Hey I realize that some forum members have a unique way of approaching subjects on a open forum. But, for me I enjoy their posts because while I may not agree with them it’s very amusing to me how others view things, but that doesn’t mean I have to destroy that person for an opinion that harms no one. Where I become angry is when peoples comments can harm others, like the nonsense some people push in the COVID 19 threads that’s where I become agitated. Please don’t take my comments in any manner that appears they were directed at you, because that’s is certain not the case I honestly respect your opinion.

Take care my friend and please no hard feeling!:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Agreed.

Then again, in regard to predispositions, do we extend that to watching violent movies or playing violent video games?

It's all about the individual being susceptible to their world view, which we all are.

But it's kind of like the Butterfly Effect (the concept, not the movie) in that we can't really predict the influence certain things have on individuals.

Some people grow up watching their alcoholic parents and in turn never touch alcohol in their lives while others grow up repeating the cycle.

I think it would be funny if you needed a doctor's clean bill of mental health in order to purchase a Ouija Board!

We, as a society, put age limits on things we think might adversely affect children. Alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

It's a really slippery slope when it comes to preventing adults from doing certain things, but I definitely agree that those individuals who are predisposed or may have mental illnesses are much more susceptible to believing claims like the OP's.

And it's a bit difficult to leave the discernment to the the individual who may or may not have a legitimate mental illness.

Can't disagree. That's why I feel that no one should take it serious. It would be like making important life decisions with a magic 8 ball. Silly.

• Like 1

I ,the OP,was trying to express that I know from personal experience and study,that Ouija Boards can definitely be dangerous wether from spirit and or psychological reasons.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SashafromOregon said:

I ,the OP,was trying to express that I know from personal experience and study,that Ouija Boards can definitely be dangerous wether from spirit and or psychological reasons.

Well welcome to the forum, I don’t really have a negative opinion of those boards, but it’s best not to use one if you feel they can be harmful.

Take care and again welcome to the forum.:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SashafromOregon said:

And that is a useless anecdote that doesn't stand up to any empirical evidence.

You say they "can" be dangerous, not that they are.

What would be the reason that millions of people, such as myself, have used them as a novelty, with nothing mentally or spiritually detrimental happening?

It's seems much more likely that it's a psychosomatic reaction.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, SashafromOregon said:

That's because you're one of the individuals who shouldn't be using one. Having admitted to having a mental health issue. 

• Like 1

I didn't have a mental health issue until I played alone for weeks with a board.In Hannibal Missouri in a house I rented built in 1856 that I later found out was in a neighborhood 7 blocks up from the Mississippi that was built on top of the old original graveyard and that they didn't move the caskets.

27 minutes ago, SashafromOregon said:

I didn't have a mental health issue until I played alone for weeks with a board.

Correlation does not imply causation.

• Like 3

On 12/7/2021 at 2:06 PM, XenoFish said:

The ouija board works through the ideomotor effect and the subconscious. The only danger is to those with mental illness.

This is it exactly, and that's where this discussion should have ended. But no, we're currently on page nine and still going.

It is excruciatingly frustrating (and I think you would agree) when believers in the paranormal don't know when to back off or back down. Instead, they continue to push forward with their inanity without stopping to consider the possibility that a person might indeed be physically or mentally ill. Worse yet, they often add fuel to the fire by introducing even crazier paranormal nonsense. Their behaviour is reckless and potentially dangerous. It's one thing to share paranormal beliefs as part of a general discussion, another when a person is clearly in some form of distress.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SashafromOregon said:

I didn't have a mental health issue until I played alone for weeks with a board.In Hannibal Missouri in a house I rented built in 1856 that I later found out was in a neighborhood 7 blocks up from the Mississippi that was built on top of the old original graveyard and that they didn't move the caskets.

The entire world is built on graveyards, what makes the spot you rented so special?

Your problem wasn't caused by an Ouija board. It may have been triggered by it in that you let your mind go where it shouldn't have, but the board is just a board, nothing more. I strongly suggest you turn your focus in the right direction and, as others here have suggested, speak to a medical professional.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SashafromOregon said:

Until you played or found this out?

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The entire world is built on graveyards, what makes the spot you rented so special?

Your problem wasn't caused by an Ouija board. It may have been triggered by it in that you let your mind go where it shouldn't have, but the board is just a board, nothing more. I strongly suggest you turn your focus in the right direction and, as others here have suggested, speak to a medical professional.

Actually the whole world is not quite built on the graveyards, she is talking about. I grew up not more than 40 miles from there and I am aware of the scandal that occurred in Hannibal, Missouri. An entire part of Hannibal was built upon graveyard that was never removed, people started having pools dug, and other such work and the dead started popping up everywhere, how this happened may never be fully known. But, I was living in St. Charles, Missouri when the event occurred the number of bodies that should have been removed was never determined so there are still homes built right on top of graves.

So that’s what is special in her case!:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Enough with the derogatory remarks and bickering please folks.

Keep it civil and don't make it personal.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

This is it exactly, and that's where this discussion should have ended. But no, we're currently on page nine and still going.

It is excruciatingly frustrating (and I think you would agree) when believers in the paranormal don't know when to back off or back down. Instead, they continue to push forward with their inanity without stopping to consider the possibility that a person might indeed be physically or mentally ill. Worse yet, they often add fuel to the fire by introducing even crazier paranormal nonsense. Their behaviour is reckless and potentially dangerous. It's one thing to share paranormal beliefs as part of a general discussion, another when a person is clearly in some form of distress.

Personally, it would be awesome to be haunted by a dinosaur. Alas, I have only my imagination. 

The ouija board and divination techniques are mostly random chance, personal interpretation and caused by the ideomotor effect (ouija and pendulum). 

I think paranormal shows, movies, and stories have given people an exaggerate view of this stuff. This along with poorly done research and con-artist doesn't help. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Actually the whole world is not quite built on the graveyards, she is talking about. I grew up not more than 40 miles from there and I am aware of the scandal that occurred in Hannibal, Missouri. An entire part of Hannibal was built upon graveyard that was never removed, people started having pools dug, and other such work and the dead started popping up everywhere, how this happened may never be fully known. But, I was living in St. Charles, Missouri when the event occurred the number of bodies that should have been removed was never determined so there are still homes built right on top of graves.

So that’s what is special in her case!:)

That sort of thing has happened and continues to happen in places around the world. When you think of the billions  of people who have died and been buried around the world over the last gazillion years and have been covered by highways, buildings, etc., then uncovered by archaeologists and others, one would think we'd be haunted everywhere. And yet we're not. Only in places like Missouri...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

That sort of thing has happened and continues to happen in places around the world. When you think of the billions  of people who have died and been buried around the world over the last gazillion years and have been covered by highways, buildings, etc., then uncovered by archaeologists and others, one would think we'd be haunted everywhere. And yet we're not. Only in places like Missouri...

This subject is actually a tenant of the Gospels of Jesus Christ. In more than one Gospel he parables that the scribes and Pharisees are like graves that men walk over and do not know. This is a reference to how the law is perceived in a criminal society. To Mosaic law if someone is to walk over a grave they must be ritually purified before they can partake in congregational things. As time went on in Israel and they lost dominion over the land it became impossible to know where graves were even though they might suspect they were walking on them. This gives rise to hypocrisy and confusion in performing the law as it is meant to be.

Luke 11

42But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. 43Woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye love the uppermost seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets. 44Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are as graves which appear not, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Personally, it would be awesome to be haunted by a dinosaur. Alas, I have only my imagination. 

Personally I think it would be awesome to be haunted by demons. Imagine if you could tame and train them to become your minions.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think paranormal shows, movies, and stories have given people an exaggerate view of this stuff. This along with poorly done research and con-artist doesn't help. 

Yes, absolutely, and it's quite obvious that it does when the experiences presented by members mirror the usual Hollywood horror schlock and sensationalism. Horror movies exploit paranormal fears and superstitions, and susceptible people get then whipped into a frenzy, blaming every bird crash into their kitchen windows the work of demons.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked