Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija

SashafromOregon

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Considering we are nothing more than meat robots there is nothing metaphysical about our existence. So unless anyone/someone can prove other wise, all the paranormal stuff is pure nonsense fueled by someone's imagination and belief, a mild to severe self-delusion. 

Human psychology and our self  aware intelligence means we are not just meat robots, but very complex creatures.

If nothing else, those factors can explain a lot of human responses and beliefs   Ie your feelings /emotions and beliefs, directly interact with, and affect your physiology, for belter and worse

The study /practice of Psychology explains  a lot of this, but falls short of explaining it all.  

6 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

See Jay's correction on what skeptic means today, which isn't identical to ancient Skeptic philosophers.  As I noted using your definition for open minded person the issue is that it requires ignoring all the knowledge we already have. I just got back from the store, the clerk rang up and bagged my daily goodies; I am definitely pre-disposed against the idea that she arrived at work by teleporting or by riding her pegasus.  In normal language this is not a failure to be an 'open-minded' person, I'm not sure if a person with 'NO' pre-disposition can really function.

I used two modern dictionary definitions for skeptic. both indicated that a skeptic is predisposed to disbelief/doubt 

skeptical

adjective

mainly US (UK usually sceptical)UK  /ˈskep.tɪ.kəl/ US  /ˈskep.tɪ.kəl/

C2

doubting that something is true or useful:

sceptical

/ˈskɛptɪk(ə)l/

Learn to pronounce

adjective

adjective: skeptical

not easily convinced; having doubts or reservations.

"the public were deeply sceptical about some of the proposals"

Yes a person can function perfectly without skepticism One just needs to be open minded 

eg to use the papameter 

got to work by "normal" means  

99.9999999  % 

Arrived by teleportation

.0000000001% 

arrived by dragon

.000000000000001%

Edited by Mr Walker

38 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I didn't say a skeptic was closed minded, but the  do have a preexisting bias to question Thus the y are not truly open minded either

So a sceptic isn't somebody who is open-minded, and they're not somebody who is closed minded? What do you call them, then?

Open-Mindedness and Skepticism in Critical Thinking | Psychology Today Canada

Open-mindedness is about being open to changing your mind in light of new evidence. It’s about detaching from your beliefs and focusing on unbiased thinking void of self-interest. It’s about being open to constructive criticism and new ideas. People who are sceptical do all of this as well—they challenge ideas and they withhold judgment until sufficient evidence is provided—they are open to all possibilities until sufficient evidence is presented. Scepticism and open-mindedness go hand-in-hand, but they may not seem that way from the surface—not until they are adequately and comprehensively defined. Once described accordingly, it is hard not to equate both with critical thinking. Well, I’d be sceptical of it, anyway.

Is this the part where you're just dancing around to try to avoid accepting that you might be incorrect?

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

No worries, but, as i explained, I am not necessarily defending you, but the principles  involved. 

plus of course when you do what is right, but it offends others, you will always be unpopular with some (on the other hand you will be welcomed by others )

Neither approval nor disapproval is really  important/significant . Only  living by your personal moralities and beliefs is important.  

However, it is nice  to have at least some like -minded friends, family, or community. 

Thanks very much Mr. Walker and I agree with on these points completely. You know the most important thing in all of this is tolerance and understanding a simple fact none of us are better, above, or more important than anyone else. To survive and get the most out these forums is to never forget no matter what our past, our present, or what our futures may bring that how we present ourselves in a conversation makes all the difference between conflict and enjoyment. When we know we are wrong it’s important to admit it and apologize the best we can. Placing our hearts on our sleeve is not an unmanly thing, and neither is asking questions and openly saying we did not know something because ignorance is something we all share equally, no one has all the answers, no one!

If you ever get board send me a pm, I am certain there things we can learn from each other that doesn’t need to take up open forum space!:tu:

Peace my brother!:tu: Oh and thanks for the reply. 

1 hour ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

So a sceptic isn't somebody who is open-minded, and they're not somebody who is closed minded? What do you call them, then?

Is this the part where you're just dancing around to try to avoid accepting that you might be incorrect?

Here is my take, the term Skeptic is a deceptive term that should be taken out of all languages.

I mean who isn’t a Skeptic in the true sense of the word?

A Skeptic is someone who doesn’t grasp a particular concept or idea! So what’s a believer someone who believes a particular concept or idea and rejects what others think, which also describes being Skeptical so could everyone be a Skeptic?

So could being Skeptical be a natural state of mind everyone shares equally, and the only way to change a current view is through information and critical thinking. But even once you change the view your still are a Skeptic, only in reverse of your previous Skepticism.

So if anyone is still with me ( I am confused :wacko::lol: ) can you see in truth we are all Skeptics all the time and since this is true why use a word to describe another as a Skeptic because we also describe ourselves at that same moment. It’s like ignorance, we are all share ignorance no one knows everything you see words like these when used to describe another are foolish because with the same brush stroke we also describe ourselves in similar fashion!:yes:

JIMO

Edited by Manwon Lender

Truly open minded people do all the things you list but without a predetermined opening belief. 

Nah I just use the dictionary definitions for the words

Hi Walker

Your subjective opinion is a bias about how others view data, the dictionary definition has been given several times and it does not support how you have described it.

I'm a bit more open minded than some,

Not really if you were as open minded as you claim then you would understand why we ask for supportive documentation which you fail to submit.

do you believe human matter transmission is possible, and will eventually be engineered? 

What is your point at this time it does not exist so there is no reason to say yes or no? Does that mean I am close minded?

To know, one must test and observe,  but the observation must be untainted by pre-existing biases 

What bias, it hasn't happened yet so when it does we can discuss it and if people are beaming all over the planet then what bias do you think I would have. At this time it is a hypothetical means of transport no different than the invention of trains, planes and automobiles?

• Like 3

I used two modern dictionary definitions for skeptic. both indicated that a skeptic is predisposed to disbelief/doubt 

skeptical

adjective

mainly US (UK usually sceptical)UK  /ˈskep.tɪ.kəl/ US  /ˈskep.tɪ.kəl/

C2

doubting that something is true or useful:

sceptical

/ˈskɛptɪk(ə)l/

Learn to pronounce

adjective

adjective: skeptical

not easily convinced; having doubts or reservations.

"the public were deeply sceptical about some of the proposals"

Yes a person can function perfectly without skepticism One just needs to be open minded 

eg to use the papameter 

got to work by "normal" means  

99.9999999  % 

Arrived by teleportation

.0000000001% 

arrived by dragon

.000000000000001%

Hi Walker

Yes skeptics can and do doubt a proposal if it is not supported by credible sources that does not mean close minded or having biases it is how scientific method works.

• Like 3

• The topic was locked

This thread has derailed off and full of derogatory commentary and discussing each other. Since the topic seems to have run its course and into bad behavior, thread closed. 

• Like 1