Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contaminated water at Pearl Harbor base

Eldorado

Hundreds of military service members and their families are staying in hotels and other temporary housing, following confirmation that petroleum products had contaminated the water system relied on by thousands of people living near the sprawling Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, endangering the largest source of drinking water on the island.

Last week, the Hawaii Department of Health said a sample of tap water connected to the naval base tested positive for petroleum products, and the Navy’s own tests identified petroleum in their Red Hill well, near a massive aquifer that serves large portions of Honolulu.

Families across at least 10 different military housing communities on the island have reported contaminated water, some of which smelled of chemicals and had a visible sheen.

MSN

• Sad 4

10 minutes ago, susieice said:

The USS Arizona still leaks "Black Tears" all these years later.

https://pearlharbor.org/studying-the-effects-of-the-black-tears-of-uss-arizona/

I remember some years ago I looked at Pearl Harbour on Google Earth and there was an oil spill seen comming from the sunken ship with the small building over it, I dont know the name.  Oil spill seems to be a big problem at that side but why wasnt the fuel removed from the wrecks decades ago already?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toast said:

I remember some years ago I looked at Pearl Harbour on Google Earth and there was an oil spill seen comming from the sunken ship with the small building over it, I dont know the name.  Oil spill seems to be a big problem at that side but why wasnt the fuel removed from the wrecks decades ago already?

I don't know why the oil wasn't removed. I suppose it's possible that they couldn't really get to it. The ship you were looking at is the USS Arizona. The memorial is built about midship. The veterans who were on the ship on Dec 7 and survived had the option to have their cremains interred on a section of the deck. The last one was placed about 2 years ago. There were only 2 more survivors left and neither had opted to be interred there. Any Pearl Harbor survivor can have his ashes scattered at Pearl Harbor.

USS Arizona Memorial - Pearl Harbor National Memorial

44 survivors are now interred on the ship.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/featured/44-uss-arizona-survivors-are-interred-with-their-shipmates-at-pearl-harbor/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, susieice said:

Yes it certainly does have many oil leaks. If you have never been to the Memorial Center built directly over the USS Arizona it’s something no American should miss. Currently there are approximately 900 plus Sailors entombed on the USS Arizona, so it’s more than than a War Memorial it’s actually National War Cemetery !:cry:

https://time.com/5745058/uss-arizona-after-pearl-harbor/

After deciding that the ship could not be salvaged, was not a navigation risk and would be left where she was, the Navy had a decision about what to do with the men who perished on board. It was decided that the men would be considered buried at sea because it would be too difficult to remove them in a respectful manner.

The decision to leave the USS Arizona underwater at the bottom of Pearl Harbor was made after much deliberation. The same decision was made for the USS Utah. The USS Oklahoma was similarly sunk in the attack, but raised and put in drydock in 1943.  In 1944, the USS Oklahoma was decommissioned. She eventually sunk to the bottom of the ocean as she was towed to the US mainland. All of the other ships sunk or damaged during the attack were returned to service.  

https://pearlharbor.org/faqs/uss-arizona-underwater/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toast said:

It was the USS Arizona my friend!:(

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

The decision to leave the USS Arizona underwater at the bottom of Pearl Harbor was made after much deliberation. The same decision was made for the USS Utah.

I was just reading about the USS Utah. Only two ships are still sunken in Pearl Harbor and she's the other one. She is also leaking oil. There are 58 personnel entombed within her hull and 5 survivors who chose to be interred on her with their shipmates when they died. She has a smaller memorial but there are plans to improve it. Most people don't even know it's there. I found this article interesting as it discusses the environmental impact and the danger the oil presents to the marine life in the harbor and discusses the issues with removing the oil from the ships. It also talks about the attempt to raise the USS Utah. Both are considered military cemeteries. It has a picture of the memorial to the USS Utah.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/02/oil-constantly-leaks-from-the-uss-arizona-is-that-an-environmental-problem/

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

This includes a gallery of pictures of the USS Utah that includes ceremonies held at the memorial. She appears to have a large area above water. 

https://www.ussutah1941.org/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, susieice said:

I was just reading about the USS Utah. Only two ships are still sunken in Pearl Harbor and she's the other one. She is also leaking oil. There are 58 personnel entombed within her hull and 5 survivors who chose to be interred on her with their shipmates when they died. She has a smaller memorial but there are plans to improve it. Most people don't even know it's there. I found this article interesting as it discusses the environmental impact and the danger the oil presents to the marine life in the harbor and discusses the issues with removing the oil from the ships. It also talks about the attempt to raise the USS Utah. Both are considered military cemeteries. It has a picture of the memorial to the USS Utah.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/02/oil-constantly-leaks-from-the-uss-arizona-is-that-an-environmental-problem/

That’s a great link Susie, but it appears to make the reason why they have not removed the Oil very clear. It is all about the fact thar USS Arizona is a military grave and they do not know how the removal will effect the remains on board and how it will effect the remains of those crew members who had their remains added to the Memorial after their deaths. As far as the USS Utah is concerned until you mentioned here I wasn’t aware about that ship. What’s strange is that when I went to Memorial many years ago, I don’t remember then even mentioning it, although I may have just forgotten about. As far as the oil is concerned I also wish they could find a way to get the Oil drained but I think that it could take years before something is actually done sadly. 

Take care Susie!:tu:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That’s a great link Susie, but it appears to make the reason why they have not removed the Oil very clear. It is all about the fact thar USS Arizona is a military grave and they do not know how the removal will effect the remains on board and how it will effect the remains of those crew members who had their remains added to the Memorial after their deaths. As far as the USS Utah is concerned until you mentioned here I wasn’t aware about that ship. What’s strange is that when I went to Memorial many years ago, I don’t remember then even mentioning it, although I may have just forgotten about. As far as the oil is concerned I also wish they could find a way to get the Oil drained but I think that it could take years before something is actually done sadly. 

Take care Susie!:tu:

This is the first I heard of the USS Utah memorial too. The article said most people are unaware that it's there. They must not mention it at the USS Arizona, but the article said they want to improve the memorial. It looks like the ship presents almost a complete side above water. They tried to right it and all the ship did was drag on the bottom, but they got it close to shore and out of the shipping lanes. This is the memorial to the USS Utah. I thought it was in the first link also, but I guess not.

You take care too Manwon.:tu:

99faf1570dea3efc7f7eac99dd86e259?AccessKeyId=9337BC8BA2453260F2FF&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

7306f5207747452cb64fa4b8e7d96edf?AccessKeyId=9337BC8BA2453260F2FF&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1