Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pub CCTV of glass ‘spontaneously shattering’ leaves staff spooked

Eldorado

A haunted pub, less than an hour away from the North Dorset, has released CCTV footage of a glass 'spontaneously shattering', which has freaked out the owners.

The Longs Arms, dubbed as Wiltshire's most haunted pub, captures the moment when the glass flies out from the shelf and bursts into small pieces seemingly in mid air.

Landlord, Rob Allcock said he couldn't stop watching it. Since posting the video on Twitter, many people have hypothesised that something must have fallen on top of the glass, reports WiltshireLive.

https://www.dorset.live/news/dorset-news/watch-most-haunted-pub-captures-6330810

• Like 5

The man's reaction on the other side of the counter, where he could not have seen what happened, says it all.  Fake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

The man's reaction on the other side of the counter, where he could not have seen what happened, says it all.  Fake.

? He can hear that loud and clear.

Papameter Reading

75% Paranormal    20% Natural    5% Hoax

The place's reputation preceding this incident is a heavy factor considered in the reading. And those bloody English Pubs just keep on giving.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

? He can hear that loud and clear.

But can't see it to know she didn't kick something over and yet does the theme for twilight zone without room for one heartbeat between.  :no:  Fake.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Papameter Reading

75% Paranormal    20% Natural    5% Hoax

The place's reputation preceding this incident is a heavy factor considered in the reading. And those bloody English Pubs just keep on giving.

40% natural 60% hoax

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

But can't see it to know she didn't kick something over and yet does the theme for twilight zone without room for one heartbeat between.  :no:  Fake.

He's probably aware of the environment and a strong possibility of being a regular. And those bored chatting regulars at my bar are quick to comment on anything.

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

40% natural 60% hoax

That reads quite differently and more reasonably than a quick an initial statement of 'Fake'. But leaving paranormal at 0%???

And they'd break a glass somehow for a video with little chance of significant attention? Knowing the staff at my bar they are not going to invent clean-up work for themselves.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

That reads quite differently and more reasonably than a quick an initial statement of 'Fake'. But leaving paranormal at 0%???

And they'd break a glass somehow for a video with little chance of significant attention? Knowing the staff at my bar they are not going to invent clean-up work for themselves.

Unless they are trying to attract attention to their haunted pub.  In that case they probably broke more than one just practicing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

But leaving paranormal at 0%???

I just felt it seemed like a setup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I just felt it seemed like a setup.

I guess it is common to be suspicious of lying associated with any paranormal/crypto/alien claim. I just feel the amount of hoaxing is probably vastly overrated. In most all cases including this one I suspect the people involved themselves truly don't know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I was watching to see if he had kicked the cabinet/bar from his side but it doesn't seem that he did.  Still... I think it's faked, too.

• Like 2

It sure didn't "fly off the shelf and burst in midair". It shattered, and pieces came out. Even if it is isn't purposely hoaxed, sometimes glass just breaks from hot/cold stress. Maybe it was frosty/hot and got hit with hot/cold air, or maybe it was stacked under there and fell over. Blaming a "ghost" is just dumb. There are far more visible glasses available if "ghost" wants to make an impression.

None of these "haunted pub glass breaking" videos are worth looking at. Only simpletons give them any credence.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, moonman said:

It sure didn't "fly off the shelf and burst in midair". It shattered, in place, and pieces came out.

Agreed. I'm not sure where this egregiously erroneous take comes from.

It's a shelf full of glasses.

It looks like one fell down and broke.

Yet another ridiculous example of a common, boring event trying to be spun into paranormal junk.

Guess it's an easy way to help maintain the "most haunted pub" moniker.

These "ghosts" really ought to up their game. 

Edited by onlookerofmayhem
Grammar
  • Like 4

Everyone I know who's worked in food service has told me strange stories about things (especially glassware) just breaking for no apparent reason.

Glass is fragile, restaurant and restaurant suppliers are cheap, and poorly made glass can easily have invisible weak points. It's also very susceptible to temperature, stress, and pressure. Glasses just break sometimes, even when not touched. It doesn't bend (obviously) or show it by slowly cracking, it just appears 100% fine until an incredibly small, hidden 'switch' is flipped and it suddenly (and violently) reacts by shattering.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seti42 said:

Everyone I know who's worked in food service has told me strange stories about things (especially glassware) just breaking for no apparent reason.

Glass is fragile, restaurant and restaurant suppliers are cheap, and poorly made glass can easily have invisible weak points. It's also very susceptible to temperature, stress, and pressure. Glasses just break sometimes, even when not touched. It doesn't bend (obviously) or show it by slowly cracking, it just appears 100% fine until an incredibly small, hidden 'switch' is flipped and it suddenly (and violently) reacts by shattering.

Glass does bend. Concrete too. Don't bend much but it is noticeable. But yeah, glass is weird. It will break just looking at funny or stand up to a sledge hammer other times.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OverSword said:

40% natural 60% hoax

My PapaSmurf-ometer of Gibberish grades this one:

Breaking glass: 90%  Glass breaking: 70%  Glass braking (mustn't exclude folk who can't spell): 20%  Hoax: low  Natural: high  Boring: off the scale  Atlantis: 35%

So I'm calling you out on your 60% hoax reading.  Meet me outside the Martyred Meghan at five o'clock tomorrow morning and bring a second.  Actually - five's a bit early... how would ten suit?

2 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Everyone I know who's worked in food service has told me strange stories about things (especially glassware) just breaking for no apparent reason.  Glass is fragile, restaurant and restaurant suppliers are cheap, and poorly made glass can easily have invisible weak points. It's also very susceptible to temperature, stress, and pressure. Glasses just break sometimes, even when not touched. It doesn't bend (obviously) or show it by slowly cracking, it just appears 100% fine until an incredibly small, hidden 'switch' is flipped and it suddenly (and violently) reacts by shattering.

Stresses can be stored in materials for unbelievably long times.  Earthquakes happen in the centre of tectonic plates where energy has been stored in faults dating back millions of years; e.g. in Scotland there are occasional (admittedly small) tremors originating in a 400 million year old fault.  And in a pub where cheap, mass-produced glasses expand slightly in the washing machine, and are maybe stacked imperceptibly closer than designed so they tighten as they cool, and small forces become huge pressures at microscopic weaknesses... but no: ghosts every time.

14 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

It's a shelf full of glasses.  It looks like one fell down and broke.

That's even more likely than my previous suggestion.  So please unread and ignore what I said above - it was probably irrelevant.

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That was boring.

220% according to my measurements, but that's where my bull$h!tometer maxes out, so it might be far more boring than that.

17 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Papameter Reading 75% Paranormal    20% Natural    5% Hoax  The place's reputation preceding this incident is a heavy factor considered in the reading.

Surely each case should be taken on its merits rather than being influenced by reputation?  So if you were to learn this video was really taken in Australia it would automatically become less paranormal because Australia has no history, tradition or culture?  Actually that's a poor example because I've never been there and I'm not even sure it exists.  So pretend it's Canada instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tom1200 said:

Surely each case should be taken on its merits rather than being influenced by reputation?  So if you were to learn this video was really taken in Australia it would automatically become less paranormal because Australia has no history, tradition or culture?  Actually that's a poor example because I've never been there and I'm not even sure it exists.  So pretend it's Canada instead.

The fact that a particular pub has had multiple previous reports of paranormal activity increases the likelihood that the place is paranormally active increasing the chance that an odd occurrence involves the paranormal.

• Thanks 1

I've watched a coffee cup crack after filling it up. Seen glasses do the same. The more something is used, the more stress fractures it'll have. Combine this with a consistent fluctuation in the glasses temperature (washing, air conditioning, beverage) it'll pop eventually. 

• Like 1

Worked in a club for 8 years and this happens quite a lot. The glasses get put in the machine that heats them to a high temprature. Then, you put a drink in it with ice, then put it back in the machine. Over and over. We used to be taking them out the machine tray straight from a wash cycle and they would shatter as soon as you picked them up as if you had a super human grip.  Pain in the butt as you have to totally wash the machine out to ensure no glass is in the machine. 

Edited by mesuma
  • Like 3

I think the customer's reaction was the best part. I agree that glass breaking isn't necessarily supernatural.