Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Details of Emmett Till killing still a mystery

Eldorado

The investigation into the lynching of Black teenager Emmett Till nearly 70 years ago ended as it began, with a mystery that might never be solved. All these decades later, it’s still not even clear whether the gruesome homicide was the work of a pair of racist brutes or a larger group of conspirators.

Two white men publicly confessed to the slaying after being acquitted by an all-white jury in Mississippi in 1955, but a Justice Department report released last week said at least one more, unnamed person was involved in Till’s abduction. Experts who have studied the case believe others participated, from a half-dozen to more than 14.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-12-12/details-of-emmett-till-killing-still-a-mystery-as-probe-ends

• Like 4

Emmett Till was murdered by brutal racists.  He was just one of thousands who were.  The two who were charged even admitted what they did after they knew they no longer had to fear being tried for it.  I guess I'm not sure what purpose another investigation serves?  Anyone involved would either be dead or ancient by now.  True justice is closer to them than ever.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Stymied in their calls for a renewed investigation into the killing of Emmett Till, relatives and activists are advocating another possible path toward accountability in Mississippi: They want authorities to launch a kidnapping prosecution against the woman who set off the lynching by accusing the Black Chicago teen of improper advances in 1955.

Carolyn Bryant Donham was named nearly 67 years ago in a warrant that accused her in Till's abduction, even before his mangled body was found in a river, FBI records show, yet she was never arrested or brought to trial in a case that shocked the world for its brutality.

https://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/crime-and-courts/emmett-till-relatives-seek-accusers-prosecution-in-1955-kidnapping/article_1942e84d-ec98-5567-ab62-fdf78b5f67b7.html

• Confused 1

I'd never been aware that the woman had any substantial role in killing Till.  The story is simple and believable considering when and where he was killed. Supposedly the kid whistled at the woman, her husband took serious offense and went on to murder him.  The men were acquitted by a white jury practicing nullification.  I can't imagine what the distant relatives hope to accomplish unless they're trying for a pay-out from the state.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

All these years, still simmering.

I can recall many a time back in the '60's I heard of an African American found hung in a tree. so sad, so surreal.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

New twist in Emmett Till lynching as investigators discover 1955 arrest warrant for his white accuser

The family of Emmett Till – the Black teenager who was kidnapped, tortured, beaten and shot before his body was thrown into a river in 1955 – was among a team that discovered the unserved arrest warrant charging a white woman for his kidnapping, buried inside a folder in a box in the basement of a Mississippi courthouse nearly 70 years later.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/new-twist-in-emmett-till-lynching-as-investigators-discover-1955-arrest-warrant-for-his-white-accuser/ar-AAZ0SQ2?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems senseless to keep pursuing this without any tangible good evidence.   i don't know the old lady, but it seems this could be very painful for allot of people.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:55 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I can recall many a time back in the '60's I heard of an African American found hung in a tree. so sad, so surreal.

It happened in my hometown as late as March of 1981 :(   A couple of so-called Klansmen picked the teen up to take them to buy weed and they drove him to another county and beat him to death.  Then they drove back to Mobile and hung his body in a tree ACROSS THE STREET from where one of them lived.  Four men were involved.  Two were sentenced to life in prison, one was executed in '97 and the oldest one died before his trial could be carried out.  This was the case that made the Southern Poverty Law Center a name on the national scene.  Morris Dees has been getting rich off of it for decades.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

On 4/25/2022 at 1:55 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

My Celtic ancestors didn't forget  what the English did to them 1000 years ago.   

• Like 2