Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mary Copyright 2020 Dan Fisher


joc

Recommended Posts

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
4 hours ago, joc said:

 

Ok dude, I can tell you need a manager and I am the guy for you!:yes:

Thanks my friend that was great Dude!:tu:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joc, this is simply awesome and I absolutely love it!!! The male vocals are honest, gravelly and at times almost Cohen-esque, which blend with the great female vocals brilliantly. What you have created here is definitely worthy of release and shows a depth of talent that raises it well above being amateur. As has already been said, you should be making a living from this.:tu: 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Arcana said:

Joc, this is simply awesome and I absolutely love it!!! The male vocals are honest, gravelly and at times almost Cohen-esque, which blend with the great female vocals brilliantly. What you have created here is definitely worthy of release and shows a depth of talent that raises it well above being amateur. As has already been said, you should be making a living from this.:tu: 

Dude, I have not heard or seen you post for awhile. I hope you and your’s are health and safe my friend.

Peace:tu:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

:)

Edited by joc
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, joc said:

Healthy and safe! Thanks for asking!  Just really busy.  'Tis the season I guess...plus...been spending a lot of time recording! It's kind of like painting...the hours just fly by and it feels like minutes.  :tu:

I am aware of spending time in a recording studio, many many years ago. I had a very good voice, that people said could go somewhere but I had no real interest in living that life. So I joined the Army to see the world and never looked back, but I did heads in Karaoke bars in many places around the world and I got a lot of free drinks!:lol: But. I was sincere I really enjoyed your recording and I am very happy that you stuck with your dream, but obvious you should have started recording much soon, because you have talent that could go far. I have always had an ear for music my friend and nothing I said has been anything but Sincere!

Thanks for this post, I am glad you and your wife are heathy and safe nothing is more important than that my friend.

Hers a song I absolutely love and that also describes me perfectly!:D

Peace my brother!:tu:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am aware of spending time in a recording studio, many many years ago. I had a very good voice, that people said could go somewhere but I had no real interest in living that life. So I joined the Army to see the world and never looked back, but I did heads in Karaoke bars in many places around the world and I got a lot of free drinks!:lol: But. I was sincere I really enjoyed your recording and I am very happy that you stuck with your dream, but obvious you should have started recording much soon, because you have talent that could go far. I have always had an ear for music my friend and nothing I said has been anything but Sincere!

Thanks for this post, I am glad you and your wife are heathy and safe nothing is more important than that my friend.

Hers a song I absolutely love and that also describes me perfectly!:D

Peace my brother!:tu:

I have been in a recording studio exactly once, in 1997.  I recorded 10 songs with Rod Foster the drummer who recorded Brandi with the band Looking Glass!    It was in Pantego, TX just outside of Arlington and it was once Pantera's studio.  

I woke up one morning in 1986.  Sat right up in bed and looked in the mirror of my dresser across the room.  I said outloud, I don't want to be a Rock Star!  ...and that was that.  I had an epiphany in my sleep apparently.  I wanted a real career with a real family and a real house... I did not want to chase a dream for my entire life and end up broke, burned out and nothing to live for except the 'dream'.  Because it was exactly that...a dream.  I knew I didn't have the talent, nor the desire.  But that never ended my passion for playing guitar and writing songs.  So, I do what I do because I love to do it!  There aren't ever going to be any gigs or royalties or fame...just me doing what I love to do the best that I can.  So thank you!

This is one of the songs I wrote and recorded in Pantera's old studio.  

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, joc said:

I have been in a recording studio exactly once, in 1997.  I recorded 10 songs with Rod Foster the drummer who recorded Brandi with the band Looking Glass!    It was in Pantego, TX just outside of Arlington and it was once Pantera's studio.  

I woke up one morning in 1986.  Sat right up in bed and looked in the mirror of my dresser across the room.  I said outloud, I don't want to be a Rock Star!  ...and that was that.  I had an epiphany in my sleep apparently.  I wanted a real career with a real family and a real house... I did not want to chase a dream for my entire life and end up broke, burned out and nothing to live for except the 'dream'.  Because it was exactly that...a dream.  I knew I didn't have the talent, nor the desire.  But that never ended my passion for playing guitar and writing songs.  So, I do what I do because I love to do it!  There aren't ever going to be any gigs or royalties or fame...just me doing what I love to do the best that I can.  So thank you!

This is one of the songs I wrote and recorded in Pantera's old studio.  

 

Hey Dan thanks for the reply, man that song is cool dude, I love the beat, the guitar and the vocals everything fits together perfectly. I have heard of Pantera but to honest I was never a fan, at the time they arrived on the music scene classic rock and roll was in its death throws and Metal was a new experience ( early 1980s ). There were few true hard Metal Bands I every really liked or followed and to me Pantera didn’t have the different flavor I was looking for.

How did you enjoy your time in a recording Studio? I fully understand your choice to not follow that dream, it’s a dark long road that leads to tragedy in far to many cases. That is what I considered when I had a chance at vocal career, plus I was only 17 years old and it just didn’t fit into plans. Today I am certain I made the correct choice without any doubts the biggest part of who I am today is directly do to my wife and if things changed I don’t want to think of where I might be. 

To me when Metal began to replace classic rock, far two many bands tried to create sounds that already existed the originality just wasn’t there for me. Now the next time I became truly into music again was in the late 1980s when Grunge exploded. My home duty assignment was at Ft. Lewis, Washington which is located in Tacoma, so with Seattle less than an hours drive me and my wife use to go to clubs on the weekends and listen first hand to this new type of music and man I got into it. 

I met most of the bands such as Sound Garden and the rest, but my most memorable experience occurred after I returned from Desert Storm in 1990. I became good friends with the owner of one the clubs we went too, so when I got home I called him to say I survived and was home. So he asks if I wanted to see a show that coming up that weekend, because he was well aware I really was into Grunge and I asked who was playing he said Nirvana was back in town and they were coming in to do a show so I said sure we will come down.

Well rolled out the Red Carpet, for us which made me uncomfortable and embarrassed the Hell out me actually! You see when I first returned from a combat zone I wasn’t my normal self, I always needed time to decompress and honestly fit back into society and only my wife understood this. But, anyway we had full access to the place and the band along with a special table to sit at and enjoy the night. So we met the band and they were already aware of my recent return from the Middle East.

At a break between sets they all came down and joined us for around 20 minutes, and they gave me an autographed professional photo in a glass frame. I really got along with Kurt, and I still have very fond memories of that night in many ways he reminded me of myself. It tore me up when he died and to this day I am not certain his death was a suicide, and to this day that’s a very controversial issue.

Anyway my friend if your happy you made the correct choice, ya know we all that little voice that tells us what’s right and wrong. I have learned to listen to it, and it has saved my life.

Peace Dude, and thanks very much for the reply and please keep the songs coming I really enjoy them!:tu:

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, joc said:

I have been in a recording studio exactly once, in 1997.  I recorded 10 songs with Rod Foster the drummer who recorded Brandi with the band Looking Glass!    It was in Pantego, TX just outside of Arlington and it was once Pantera's studio.  

I woke up one morning in 1986.  Sat right up in bed and looked in the mirror of my dresser across the room.  I said outloud, I don't want to be a Rock Star!  ...and that was that.  I had an epiphany in my sleep apparently.  I wanted a real career with a real family and a real house... I did not want to chase a dream for my entire life and end up broke, burned out and nothing to live for except the 'dream'.  Because it was exactly that...a dream.  I knew I didn't have the talent, nor the desire.  But that never ended my passion for playing guitar and writing songs.  So, I do what I do because I love to do it!  There aren't ever going to be any gigs or royalties or fame...just me doing what I love to do the best that I can.  So thank you!

 

 

Joc,as I'm sure you already know yourself, talent is crucial, but luck also plays a big part in the success of musicians. Not everyone gets the breaks, which can lead to a lot of disillusionment and disappointment. It sounds as though you chose to make a conscious choice not to pursue a career in music because you wanted to avoid the pitfalls that go with success i.e. the lifestyle, lack of privacy, drugs etc etc. Fair play to you, but though the desire may be lacking, rest assured that the talent is not.

I can relate to you doing what you do as a labour of love, its a big part of who you are and like the saying goes, 'Don't die with your music still in you!' Thank you for sharing your talent with us on this site and please keep 'em coming!:tu:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@joc Hey Dan heres a song I use do the vocals on for friends,  how hard is the Guitar Work in this song and could you replicate it. I really love this song man!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

@joc Hey Dan heres a song I use do the vocals on for friends,  how hard is the Guitar Work in this song and could you replicate it. I really love this song man!!

 

I think the one thing that sets me apart from most musicians is that I don't do covers.  I have like a handful of covers...literally 3.  Hey Baby by Jimi Hendrix, Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower and Hurt by Nine Inch Nails/Johnny Cash.

So, while I'm sure I could learn it...I never would.  I have to absolutely just love a song to cover it...apparently I don't love that many songs. :lol:

but thanks for asking

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
18 minutes ago, joc said:

I think the one thing that sets me apart from most musicians is that I don't do covers.  I have like a handful of covers...literally 3.  Hey Baby by Jimi Hendrix, Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower and Hurt by Nine Inch Nails/Johnny Cash.

So, while I'm sure I could learn it...I never would.  I have to absolutely just love a song to cover it...apparently I don't love that many songs. :lol:

but thanks for asking

I understand completely and man the covers you picked are some great songs except the Song Hurt by 9 inch nails never heard of it and unfortunately I don’t know much about the band.

So, post up some more of your work when you get time my friend!

Peace.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, joc said:

I think the one thing that sets me apart from most musicians is that I don't do covers.  I have like a handful of covers...literally 3.  Hey Baby by Jimi Hendrix, Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower and Hurt by Nine Inch Nails/Johnny Cash.

So, while I'm sure I could learn it...I never would.  I have to absolutely just love a song to cover it...apparently I don't love that many songs. :lol:

but thanks for asking

Hi Joc,

N.I.N. are one of my favourite bands and I'd love to hear your cover of Hurt sometime, if you wouldn't mind posting it for us? :tu:

 

Edited by Arcana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have a recording...but I guess I could make one. I'm not really sure exactly what the copyright laws are for posting covers on social media.  I'm sure I'll find out! :yes:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, joc said:

I don't have a recording...but I guess I could make one. I'm not really sure exactly what the copyright laws are for posting covers on social media.  I'm sure I'll find out! :yes:

Hey Dan, apologies dude, I thought you'd already made a recording and overcome the copyright laws. Don't take any risks on my account, I don't want to be responsible for any breach being posted on t'internet. You've already proven your talent to me as far as I'm concerned mate. :tu:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll look into and see what I can find...

...copyright and royalties are tricky business...I'll reach out to the one's who would know...BMI.

Aside from that...this page stipulates original works only...so if I did make a copy for social media, it would have to be posted somewhere else like in Music you are listening to...which would be a You Tube video and those guys are very into copyright/royalties.   Which is good.

One thing I did read is that even if you got a license to cover the song...you are responsible for paying the royalties...so one must consider...what if my cover went viral...far-fetched I know...but one must consider all things.  We'll see.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Arcana and anyone who is interested in streaming their version of cover songs online:

For Soundcloud, since they offer interactive audio streams as well as digital downloads there are two formats that need to be licensed. Our Digital Download licenses would be sufficient for the permanent downloads you distribute. For streams, however, Soundcloud has indicated to us that not all users are protected under their licensing with the Mechanical Licensing Collective, and so regular customers must obtain mechanical licensing for streams. What this means is that we have to go straight to the copyright holders for permission since the Music Modernization Act made it so that we could not file cover song licenses for streaming after January 1, 2021 ~

Therefore...Because I value the Copyright and all of it's derivatives...until and unless I acquire a Mechanical License to do such...a cover on anyone else's song on online media will not be happening.  As much as I would like to. We are really talking about Copyright Law and as such I am bound to the agreements I have made with BMI and Copyright Law in general.

...but I really do love this cover so...I will be checking into a Mechanical License for the same...:)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool Dan and thanks for taking the trouble to look into it.:tu:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.