Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The religious beliefs of Jimmy Page, the founding member of Led Zeppelin ( Aleister Crowley )


Manwon Lender
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jimmy Page was born just outside London, England. He grew up there and in Epsom, Surrey, England. The Led Zeppelin guitarist was a follower of Aleister Crowley, an occultist, mystic, and magician, among other things. Page said he read one of Crowley’s books when he was just 11-years-old, and started really getting into “magick” when he was just 15. He eventually bought Crowley’s old house and opened up an occult bookstore in London because, as he put it, “I was so p***ed off not being able to get the books I wanted.” Page made clear that he did not worship the devil3 or practice black magic.4 Instead, he was creating a fusion between magick and music.

He said the four musical elements of Led Zeppelin making a fifth is magick into itself. That’s the alchemical process. Page never tried to tone down his interest in the occult. He wore embroidered symbols on his clothes and placed them on album covers, which he called “talismanic magick.”6 And he had the words “Do what thou wilt” written on the original vinyl pressing of the album Led Zeppelin IV, which was a reference to Crowley’s main philosophical tenet.7 But he rarely went into much depth about it in interviews. He said, I don’t really want to go on about my personal beliefs or my involvement in magic. I’m not interested in turning anybody on to anybody that I’m turned on to. If people want to find things, they find them themselves. Well, thanks to Page, I’m sure many young rockers found their way to Aleister Crowley themselves.

Jimmy Page's Religion and Political Views | HollowverseThe Hollowverse

Aleister Crowley (/ˈælstər ˈkrli/; born Edward Alexander Crowley; 12 October 1875 – 1 December 1947) was an English occultist, ceremonial magician, poet, painter, novelist, and mountaineer. He founded the religion of Thelema, identifying himself as the prophet entrusted with guiding humanity into the Æon of Horus in the early 20th century. A prolific writer, he published widely over the course of his life. Aleister Crowley - Wikipedia

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever works.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Whatever works.

 

 

Yes that is true, but a great deal of tragedy followed that band from Plants child drowning in the family pool, to the death of members, the Drummer. I think they just burned a candle on both ends and sadly the Sex, drugs and Rock & Roll just caught up with them, really sad man!!:( 

 The Weird Case Of Led Zeppelin: Occult Oddities: The Weird Case Of Led Zeppelin (spiritdailyblog.com)

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Whatever works.

 

 

According to those in the know that is the most occult song they ever produced here is version with lyrics!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://ultraculture.org/blog/2014/11/13/8-celebrities-practice-chaos-magick/

A few more. One thing I can say that the practice of magick can be spiritual, religious, or just creative. Funny that the more I try to distance myself from all this, the more I'm pulled back. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

https://ultraculture.org/blog/2014/11/13/8-celebrities-practice-chaos-magick/

A few more. One thing I can say that the practice of magick can be spiritual, religious, or just creative. Funny that the more I try to distance myself from all this, the more I'm pulled back. 

Well I hope this doesn't cause you any problems my friend if you feel like it will step away everyone will understand. You have your problems and I have PTSD and I have learned when to back off because I dont need those problems to keep coming back, deep depression such's and I already lose enough sleep do to pain I cant lose more, I just cant I a dont know what would happen now, but in the past it wasn't pretty and my wife is the only reason i am typing right now!:cry:

 Honestly I dont care about myself, but I never what to put her through that crap again!:cry:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well I hope this doesn't cause you any problems my friend if you feel like it will step away everyone will understand. You have your problems and I have PTSD and I have learned when to back off because I dont need those problems to keep coming back, deep depression such's and I already lose enough sleep do to pain I cant lose more, I just cant I a dont know what would happen now, but in the past it wasn't pretty and my wife is the only reason i am typing right now!:cry:

It's not a negative. I just have less of an interest in it. Spent years in practice and research. Came to certain conclusions, understanding how it's all psychological. So I'm not a dedicated magician. Plus I'm not an "authority" on the subject. Guess it's just useful side knowledge. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, XenoFish said:

It's not a negative. I just have less of an interest in it. Spent years in practice and research. Came to certain conclusions, understanding how it's all psychological. So I'm not a dedicated magician. Plus I'm not an "authority" on the subject. Guess it's just useful side knowledge. 

That's cool my problem can be much worst, like i said i never want to put my wife through that again I will never do it!:(

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 4:25 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Yes that is true, but a great deal of tragedy followed that band from Plants child drowning in the family pool, to the death of members, the Drummer. I think they just burned a candle on both ends and sadly the Sex, drugs and Rock & Roll just caught up with them, really sad man!!:( 

 The Weird Case Of Led Zeppelin: Occult Oddities: The Weird Case Of Led Zeppelin (spiritdailyblog.com)

I'll bet no one is tracking every bad thing that happens to a Christian and saying AHA! It's because of that. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GlitterRose said:

I'll bet no one is tracking every bad thing that happens to a Christian and saying AHA! It's because of that. 

Yes that’s certainly very possible!:tu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius

Robert Plant is a very happy man, still going strong and still producing music. I would guess that his devotion to Thelema helped him to be the successful life he has undoubtedly lived. Thelema is all about discovering and embodying your real roll in life and Plant is a perfect example. The only thing that most people cannot handle with Thelema is that there is no conventional morality - but that doesn't stop almost all Thelemites from been good people. Helping you to realize that all the rules that govern our behaviour are fictions and choices.
Testing your psychological and neurological limits is what Magick is all about - actual physical tangible results is debatable, but is the hook that draws many in.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will. 

I have gone over this in Christianity and realized that I am obeying this rule still, even more powerfully than if I wasn't. By obeying the Christian laws it is like a willpower that covers and protects love. That is what I wilt to do. It happens pretty naturally. 

Crowley was the son of a minister and the reigns of Christianity can be noticed in him. Ironically by being Christian I can set out strongly to do what he said to do. It is like his offering of the frog. Crowley said he was out to speak the truth, but in riddles. Whoever did not understand him would fall deeper into deceit. This is the same thing Jesus says in the Gospel that, "He speaks in parables, lest some people may understand and be forgiven."

Matthew 13

Quote

The Purpose of Jesus' Parables

 

(Mark 4:10-12)

 

10And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

 

14And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

 

15For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

 

16But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 17For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crowley was an abusive, controlling, hedonist. Everything about him was egocentric.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
41 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Crowley was an abusive, controlling, hedonist. Everything about him was egocentric.

I would agree totally regarding his personality - but I still think Thelema is a great contribution to human progress.

I know quite a few Thelemites and the one thing I cannot get on with is their tendency to hero worship Crowley as a man.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Br Cornelius said:

Thelema is a great contribution to human progress.

By all means explain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

By all means explain. 

People looking internally to discover their purpose and then acting upon their personal revelation. There really isn't any other "religion" that sets people on such a path as every other religion is about setting limits and constraints upon the individual.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Br Cornelius said:

People looking internally to discover their purpose and then acting upon their personal revelation. There really isn't any other "religion" that sets people on such a path as every other religion is about setting limits and constraints upon the individual.

 

Br Cornelius

So radical self interest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So radical self interest. 

If everyone is enabling their full potential then the world would experience massive progress - so to empower your "will" is to progress humanity as a whole.

 

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

If everyone is enabling their full potential then the world would experience massive progress - so to empower your "will" is to progress humanity as a whole.

 

Br Cornelius

Say that to the serial killer.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Say that to the serial killer.

The serial killer is a damaged individual who is undoubtedly not following their "will".

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Br Cornelius said:

The serial killer is a damaged individual who is undoubtedly not following their "will".

 

Br Cornelius

How can you be sure? They might just be following their "true will". Same for the rapist, the glutton, or any manner of negative things. It isn't all rainbows and kitten.

When I look at society I'm reminded at how very wretched a species we are. Left to follow our own wills. We devolve into indulgent animals. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Br Cornelius
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

How can you be sure? They might just be following their "true will". Same for the rapist, the glutton, or any manner of negative things. It isn't all rainbows and kitten.

When I look at society I'm reminded at how very wretched a species we are. Left to follow our own wills. We devolve into indulgent animals. 

Can you really separate the damage done by an abusive society from "wretched" result. All those beating and raping priests and men in suites living out their own damage on a damaged society. I certainly believe that society is slightly less brutal and bestial than the world my parents grew up in because these abuses are been acknowledged and confronted.

 

Br Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Br Cornelius said:

Can you really separate the damage done by an abusive society from "wretched" result. All those beating and raping priests and men in suites living out their own damage on a damaged society. I certainly believe that society is slightly less brutal and bestial than the world my parents grew up in because these abuses are been acknowledged and confronted.

 

Br Cornelius

Yet they follow their 'true will'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.