Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The religious beliefs of Jimmy Page, the founding member of Led Zeppelin ( Aleister Crowley )

Grim Reaper 6

Guest Br Cornelius
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yet they follow their 'true will'.

Thats a claim you can make but I think it shows a profound lack of understanding of Thelemite Will.

Br Cornelius

Just now, Br Cornelius said:

Thats a claim you can make but I think it shows a profound lack of understanding of Thelemite Will.

Br Cornelius

Oh by all means. Explain. The floor is yours O'wise one.

Guest Br Cornelius
Just now, XenoFish said:

Oh by all means. Explain. The floor is yours O'wise one.

I actually don't think you are so ignorant of the concept as you might suggest.

Br Cornelius

5 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

I actually don't think you are so ignorant of the concept as you might suggest.

Br Cornelius

You think.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Br Cornelius said:

With certainty.

Br Cornelius

Quite often when I see "do what thou wilt" it is typically used as an excuse for self-indulgence. The art of thelema is about willpower. Firstly using a combination of introspection and deconstructing the self in order to find one's 'true will'. In a way I liken this to the existentialist idea of giving ones life a meaning. The second is being true. True to ones words, thoughts, feelings and actions. Pretty much of you say you'll do a thing, that thing will be done. There is a heavy focus on self-mastery/discipline. Being true to your word, true in your actions, true to your thoughts and true to your feelings. 

In some ways I see a bit of Christianity in it. With more a focus on the self. Even likening the "love under will" to "love they neighbor as thyself". Because of how similar they are. 

I could if I so desired to sum to whole thing us as "act in accordance to one's true nature, in good will". But that might be stretching. I know the topic is deeper than this. I also know that I may very well be wrong. I always found Crowley repulsive as a person. Nothing more than a rich brat with a cruel streak. Though later in life he seemed to have settled down and changed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Aleister Cowley was a British intelligence agent and heroin addict. His religious contrivance Thelema is flawed. One cannot follow one's True Will in a universe where freewill doesn't exist. He was a second rate Friedrich Nietzsche underneath a lot of occult mumbo jumbo. I don't see how anyone but hedonists could venerate this addict and the fact he enjoyed the company of so many scarlet *****s makes me despise him all the more. 

Edited by determinism

On 1/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, GlitterRose said:

I'll bet no one is tracking every bad thing that happens to a Christian and saying AHA! It's because of that. 

I am, but no one famous, just annoying relatives who tell me I am going to burn in hell  (their lives are not good examples of what they preach).   :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/24/2022 at 6:34 AM, Guest Br Cornelius said:

People looking internally to discover their purpose and then acting upon their personal revelation. There really isn't any other "religion" that sets people on such a path as every other religion is about setting limits and constraints upon the individual.

Br Cornelius

Buddhism does not set limits and constraints.  Maybe you are only talking about the judaic religions.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2022 at 5:30 AM, Guest Br Cornelius said:

I would agree totally regarding his personality - but I still think Thelema is a great contribution to human progress.

I know quite a few Thelemites and the one thing I cannot get on with is their tendency to hero worship Crowley as a man.

Br Cornelius

And he made fun of them for it. 

"Where are you going so meek and holy..."

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will always be thankful towards Aleister Crowley I think. I believe he has brought me closer to Christ, not further away. Somehow in his mind he turns it so as to bless the true Messiah and his commandments. Ever since I'd read his book on meditation I was a changed man for the better. In that book (which I received from a member on here many years ago) he describes the similarities between men like Christ and Buddha. 

I think if anyone does pure evil in the name of Aleister Crowley, then they had an evil soul to begin with. As Crowley stated himself, he came to deceive you with weak minds and impure spirits. He can speak the truth to everyone else who lives in the new millenium. He had done a lot of work in his lifetime that only strengthens the faith. Whoever fails to understand it probably has a weak will, and a weak mind.

• Haha 1