Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Netlicks? 'The TV screen you can taste’ created by Japanese professor

Still Waters

A prototype "lickable" TV screen which can mimic food flavours has been developed by a Japanese professor, Reuters reports.

Dubbed Taste-the-TV, ten canisters spray flavour onto a "hygienic film" which is rolled over the screen for the viewer to lick.

Professor Homei Miyashita of Meiji University, suggested it could be used to train cooks or sommeliers remotely, If made commercially, the TV would cost $875 (£735), he estimated.

"The goal is to make it possible for people to have the experience of something like eating at a restaurant on the other side of the world, even while staying at home," he told Reuters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59760490

https://www.reuters.com/technology/lick-it-up-japan-professor-creates-tele-taste-tv-screen-2021-12-23/

It doesn't matter that we are massively destroying a plants and animals on Earth. Soon, all of them will be "likable". Come here man, you can lick and taste a extinct Ivory-billed woodpecker.  <_<

I'm sure I'd look really dignified licking the tv screen every time a food advert came on .

• Haha 1

I hope it's tongue in cheek. Saying that, there's plenty of folk on here that wouldn't be adverse to licking windows so maybe it will take off after all.

Yuck. 

Edited by pallidin

My parents told be about smell-o-vision. They would give u a card as u enter the movie theatre with scratch and sniff cards and when indicated u would scratch the number for that scent. Think that the 70's or earlier.