Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elusive 'black cat of Tynedale' caught on camera

UM-Bot

Hard to tell for sure but it does look big. Perspective can be tough in a shot like that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What is weird to me is that if I was there I wouldn�t have casually taken a few seconds of video unless all of a sudden the beast charged me. Otherwise, with something that unusual, I�d have kept shooting until the thing was out of view, not just get back in my car in the middle of it all. Also, this guy isn�t even attempting to zoom in and his/her (I�m guessing) phone camera seems about what I�d expect from an iPhone 5, certainly not a phone from the past 5 years. I suppose it�s possible for an old phone, but it seems cryptids and other mysterious creatures only appear before people with super old phones and extremely poor videography skills, lol. I�ll even let slide that fact that it was shot it in portrait mode, cause I know that sometimes I�ve done it when trying to catch something really quick that I don�t take the time to think.

Otherwise, it does seem to walk like a cat, but can you imagine this shot on an iPhone 13 in 4K and proper landscape mode with a zoom in here and there?
  • Like 3

The lack of curiosity in the people that are filming these supposedly ‘elusive’ creatures is what makes me doubt them. It would be easy to measure the height of the grass in what appears to be a recently-grazed cow pasture, and then make a reasonable guess as to the creature’s size. If the photographer had made even a minor attempt to add some perspective, then I’d find his claims more believable.
The creature itself doesn’t really behave like a predator on the hunt for its dinner. Most feral animals are instantly aware of any movement in the vicinity, and 40 meters (132 feet) isn’t a great distance, especially when there’s nothing blocking their line-of-sight. 
Still, the creature does move more like a feline than a cow or a sheep that you’d expect to see in a pasture.

Some folks are simple and have little curiosity.  No surprise they film a few seconds and then move on, nor is it unsurprising that they don't bother zooming in or trying to focus correct.  I'm surprised some folks can manage to get the camera up and working on their phone at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If compared to the fence posts, which could easily be 4 ft high, the animal looks at least half their height and probably a bit more.

So probably not a domestic cat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a short-legged domestic barn cat to me. A large cat, even a wild cat would have longer legs and would have towered over that short-cropped grass.
  • Like 3

It walks behind the final fence post just before the end of the video.  ''IF'' the posts are 3' 6" to 4' high this would make the creature around or just under 3' tall. As for anyones general ability to take a quality video of something, whether in a rush or not on a phone, I think that the jury is still out.  I also don't think that I would hang around too long if I saw what I thought to be a relatively big cat only about 40 yards from me. My nephew and 2 of his friends had a sighting of a large black cat 11 years ago in a village near where we live in the Midlands of the UK.  They were able to estimate its size because it walked over a standard sized wooden pallet, 1.2m x 1.0m and its body length was roughly equal to that of the pallet, the thick bushy tail not included. After their initial shock there wasnt an opportunity to picture the beast.  This is three sturdy builders we are talking about and they were affected by the shock and awe of the moment, so anyone saying  "Oh I'd have done this or that ....",  well I think you get my drift.

• Like 1

Another pic that proves nothing past some moving object was videoed,

Many years ago i saw a documentry seems it was UFOs but they showed a group of elderly folks who went out hunting paranormal type stuff for fun,

One lady said and i have to paraphase that if she came upon a chupacabra she would try to go touch it feel it see what iy was made of,

She sounded sincere and i like that moxy and in that why do so many people post some basically worthless blurry blob pic and claim its smoking gun proof of their belief,

They never go after the beast or even try to zoom in they take a quick snap or short video and think that they will rock the world,

My conclusion is 99.9% of the time they knew they had nothing.

• Like 1