Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lib Dems unveil election slogan

Talon

Lib Dems unveil election slogan

The Liberal Democrats will present themselves as "the real alternative" in the forthcoming general election campaign, Charles Kennedy has said.

Mr Kennedy unveiled the slogan during his keynote speech at the party's spring conference in Harrogate.

The party's position on major issues had been "clearer than the Conservatives" and it was now the "real opposition", he said.

There was "no glass ceiling" on the party's poll ambitions, he added.

'Credible party'

Mr Kennedy told party activists that Labour had abused the public's trust and the Tories had failed to oppose them.

"People want a credible, principled political party which offers a different vision of what Britain can be," he said.

Only the Liberal Democrats stood against the Iraq war, he said, and they had also provided strong opposition to the government's plans on ID cards, anti-terror measures and taxation.

He said: "If you voted Conservative in 2001 ... what good did it do you? Your vote was wasted.

"What people needed was ... a party which was listening to their concerns; a party which was prepared to stand up and say so; a party which said no to the prime minister."

Tax rate

He also outlined his party's plan to impose a 50% income tax rate on earnings over £100,000 a year.

The money would be used to help pay for key policies such as abolishing university tuition fees, scrapping council tax in favour of local income tax, and providing free care for the elderly, he said.

Labour and the Tories claim the sums do not add up, and that working families would be hardest hit.

Mr Kennedy said: "Britain is the fourth-largest economy in the world. We have world class businesses and a world class workforce.

"So why are two million of our pensioners living below the poverty line?"

All the parties are campaigning hard for an expected election in May, although Prime Minister Tony Blair has not confirmed any timing.

Earlier, Mr Kennedy told Radio 4's Today programme there was no possibility of forming a coalition with Labour in the event of a hung Parliament.

"We go into the election as an independent party and we come out as an independent party," he said.

Mr Kennedy has been under fire in recent days for missing Monday's Commons vote on the government's controversial anti-terrorism laws, along with other Lib Dem MPs.

But the party insists his absence was not down to the return of the ill health that affected him last year.

Mr Kennedy conceded during the week that the party made an error of judgement in missing the vote, which the government won by a majority of only 14.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_p...ics/4320483.stm

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• wunarmdscissor

• warden

• Babs

Top Posters In This Topic

I have far more Lib Dems than the Tory B's

Labour warning over Tory cutbacks

Spending cuts promised by UK Tory leader Michael Howard would have a devastating effect on Scotland, the Scottish secretary has claimed.

Alistair Darling launched the attack at Labour's Scottish conference in Dundee.

He claimed that the Conservative Party plans for £35bn of cuts would hit hard in Scotland.

First Minister Jack McConnell is expected to invoke the memory of Margaret Thatcher and the Tories record in government in his keynote address.

Mr Darling warned that devolution would protect Scotland if the Tories got into government.

He told delegates: "Be in no doubt that if Michael Howard goes in the door of number 10, then Scotland's spending plans on health, education and crime go out the window.

"The Scottish Executive would be faced with a massive cut in their budget. If you cut spending in England, spending in Wales and Scotland is cut as well.

"The Scottish Tories ... have tried to deny that. But their sums don't add up and their story doesn't add up either.

Mr McConnell is expected to name the services he believes are under threat from the Tories.

'Us and them'

And he will contrast Mrs Thatcher's first six years with Labour's record in the first six years of devolution.

The first minister will be picking up on the prime minister's theme from his speech on Friday.

Tony Blair promised an "us and them" fight between Labour and the Tories at the forthcoming election.

Opposition parties accused Mr Blair of using the Scottish conference to campaign on English issues after he focussed on the performance of the NHS south of the border.

But deputy Scottish leader Cathy Jamieson told BBC Radio's Newsweek Scotland programme that policy differences were now a fact of life.

She said: "We have to have Scottish solutions to Scottish problems but at the end of the day we are all coming from the same fundamental values here.

"This is about Labour policies into action - slightly different interpretation perhaps in Scotland on some issues, that's right and proper.

"That's what devolution was about, it allows us to do that, but the values and the principles are absolutely the same."

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/4320657.stm

same talon there a mile ahead of the "vampire" and his lot , labour are still the only decent option

A party who `s leader has never apologised for any thing in the last 8 years and wont give us a refarendum untill he thinks he has a chance of a yes

Better than a party who used to have the election slogan 'If you want a n*gger for a neighbour vote Lavour', introduced a racist tax against an ethnic minority, and of introduced Britain to its most evil Prime Minster ever to spawn from the bowels of the Earth.

Typical red.....always bringing up the past that has nothing to do with the hear and now

As far as your East coast jibe goes ,it doesnt

Many of my friends are from the grey west and unlike you two are great people

come on the bnp.......will that get me banned?

Well that was mature rolleyes.gif

Edited by Talon S.

If you think so ,i didnt

Must be the clean air i breath in every morning from the lovely EAST coast

hes east coast talon. lol

511996[/snapback]

...well that was mature... wacko.gif

......I get it!...if you or Talon say something, it's mature, but if warden or I say something, it's immature. Hey, what a game! laugh.gif

Edited by Babs

...well that was mature... 

......I get it!...if you or Talon say something, it's mature, but if warden or I say something, it's immature. Hey, what a game!

What are you taking about Babs. We say he's not in the Western 'Red Clydeside' area, which is the haven of the left in Scotland and thats why his dislike of left-wing parties is so aparent.

He then comes back saying 'come on' to the Brittish Nazi Party (BNP). And you somehow work out that he's being mature and we're being immature and hypocritical.

Babs, one question, when are you intending to return to your home planet? huh.gif

Edited by Talon S.

dont you all see the same thing happening in the states? Not so much a left or right issue but an issue that neither party addresses properly is our environment. Corporations get away with so much so what party will protect us from their destructive behavior. One is too weak and one , although powerful, won't address the issues for fear of corporate donors backing away....lets face it all, either way you and I lose so what is an answer for us?

not really dmgsycat , this labour government is actually quite committed to the environment.

Unlike in the states though what youve got to understand is that the parties are ,at the core, all polar opposites (except the lib dems lol) i mean the labour party if it was in america would be considered communist.

I see what your saying slightly but there is a much more deep rooted class system in the UK which generally reflects which ideaology a voter will follow.

well that was mature... 

......I get it!...if you or Talon say something, it's mature, but if warden or I say something, it's immature. Hey, what a game!

once again babs you post without understanding what your posting on.