Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the worst thing you ever smelled

dream jo

Ok then what is the worst thing you have ever smelt in your life

For me I have a habit of attracting people it's got bad body hygiene the all this same side me on a bus or sit near me in a restaurant I don't know why I attract people I do

• Like 4

Oddly enough... spoiled diced onions.  I was cleaning out a cooler in a restaurant where I worked and took the lid off some diced onions that had begun petrifying due to age.  I nearly passed out, SERIOUSLY.  I was about 17 and I NEVER made that mistake again. ;) 

• Sad 1

Rotten chicken livers. Leave a tub of livers out in 100*C weather for a day or two and OMG... talk about catching fish before the bait hits the water!

• Haha 2

My sister's boyfriend's house. Honestly, if a corpse was found under the floorboards I would not have been surprised. It was the weirdest smell. ( I haven't had a sense of smell for about 15 years now)

• Haha 3

Hello all, this is my first post and I couldn't resist this topic! :D

For me, it was the nearly visible wall of stench from mountainous piles of oyster shells roiling away in the sun. My husband and I toured Vancouver Island in our RV and stopped at a fish and oyster shop along the way. I'm a photographer and seeing the mountains of shells, I NEEDED to take pictures. I figured it would be smelly. I had NO IDEA!! The reek nearly bowled me over and immediately clung to my clothes and got into my hair too. I walked back to our truck and stood outside because of my new skunk-like status and even after 5-10 minutes of walking around, when my husband came out of the shop he was all, "WHAT A STINK!!" And it took a while blasting AC in the truck with the windows down to finally remove most of the smell. 

If you want to read the whole story, this link will lead you to pictures of our adventure that day--the oyster story is way down near the bottom if you scroll down. Also, if you roll your mouse over the main picture, there are two pictures shown as insets that show the piles of oysters. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/290645/49719054

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Back in the 70's I was deployed to Guatemala for disaster relief after a major earthquake. They sent us out on "recovery"  missions, and the bodies had been laying there for a week or more. I still smell it sometimes in my dreams - it wasn't "pleasant".

• Sad 3

The worst thing I have smelled so far is hazelnut cappuccino. It smells awful to me. It’s like a mixture of smelly feet and fritos corn chips. 

I can’t believe people actually like it. 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, sfhipchick said:

Hello all, this is my first post and I couldn't resist this topic!

Welcome to UM!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taun said:

Back in the 70's I was deployed to Guatemala for disaster relief after a major earthquake. They sent us out on "recovery"  missions, and the bodies had been laying there for a week or more. I still smell it sometimes in my dreams - it wasn't "pleasant".

Like most of us Americans of a certain age, I grew up looking at war through the lens of Hollywood and it wasn't until I began reading some of the books written by WWII vets that I realized just how awful the conditions were in the tropics.  Those bodies bloated, burst, and more, and marines and soldiers couldn't get away from that stench for days, even weeks.  I think that level of disgust might be enough to break through even the fear of dying.  God, how awful that must have been.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Smell of bigfoot/sasquach. Bigfoot is one hairy and very stinky dude. Remember if you are planing to go squtching, you really need Bigfoot Air Freshener - Pine Scent!  :D

Air Freshener — Legislative Gift Center

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, and then said:

Like most of us Americans of a certain age, I grew up looking at war through the lens of Hollywood and it wasn't until I began reading some of the books written by WWII vets that I realized just how awful the conditions were in the tropics.  Those bodies bloated, burst, and more, and marines and soldiers couldn't get away from that stench for days, even weeks.  I think that level of disgust might be enough to break through even the fear of dying.  God, how awful that must have been.

Yeah...growing up at the end of the Vietnam war, I totally shut down anything having to do with wars for so many years. Finally I read a book on that war and it just blew me away to get this detailed writing from someone who was there...I was finally old enough to take it all in and it was rough...you're right about the Hollywood shine...reading accounts from other wars too, it gave me an understanding and deep respect--and compassion--for those involved in wars.  God, how awful that must have been. Couldn't agree with you more.

Another stinky thing that is just INCREDIBLE: DEAD CRICKETS that have been rotting in a frog enclosure for a mere couple of days. OH. MY. BARF. We have Fire Belly Toads and they don't eat all of the crickets we toss in...and after a while they die, usually in a pool of water. They putrify very quickly and it's just atrocious. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dream jo said:

For me I have a habit of attracting people it's got bad body hygiene the all this same side me on a bus or sit near me in a restaurant I don't know why I attract people I do

Iraqis roasting in a burning Tank, nothing smells worst !:ph34r:

Edited by Manwon Lender

12 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Rotten chicken livers. Leave a tub of livers out in 100*C weather for a day or two and OMG... talk about catching fish before the bait hits the water!

They may stink but they are great Catfish Bait!:yes:

14 hours ago, dream jo said:

Butt Monkey!:lol:

02B38F75-47CC-4DAE-9D41-A137E0A09C1D.jpeg

• Haha 1

I know one thing is so bad it smells so bad was me my sister and me on a mini cruise and a smell of farts was really bad after the alcohol we had and still farts still thought is a great combination

• 5 weeks later...

Today day-to-day me when I farted in the bath it was so horrible smell especially when especially then when them bubbles burst in the bus the smell double the smell in the bath

Someone who suffered Gingavites from their teeth. The smell and bad breath was soo bad I could not talk to the person without gaging and covering my face with my shirt.

• 1 month later...

I know what one other things I've smelled somebody I know it's got total bad body try and she absolutely stinks the whole family stink of beer they all have got a bad personal hygiene because they never get washed a clean and they stink ever shuttle they stink every shop where I live they go in in distinctive out and a shop after get the air pressure out air freshener because that bad is smell

Someone whose name escapes me right now.

• 3 weeks later...

about 15 years ago, i stopped my parents house to see how my brothers were faring as my parents were on vacation. When i opened the door i smelled something terrible but faint i searched the main part of the house over and found nothing out of the ordinary so went down to the basement where the smell got stronger. I had first thought that some critter had found its way in and died. BUT NOOOO. I followed my nose until i came to the big upright freezer that my parents keep packed with meats of all kinds. Apparently, there was a storm that knocked out power to the house. When the power came back on my brothers did not know they had to manually flip a switch on the freezer to turn it back on. What i was smelling was week old rotting meat coming from the freezer, there was beef, pork, fish, chicken... you name it it was in there. I had to clean it up and recruited a friend who was gracious enough to help not only empty the feezer of the rotting meat, but then help take the freezer outside because by then the smell was permenatly ingrained into the plastic. The meat was divided into freezer bags but they were all bloated and half had popped from decomposition gasses, they were slimy, gooey, and drippy it was disgusting. there were many smell induced vomits that day. I asked my brother how they could not smell the terribleness, they hadnt gone outside in a few days so just became noseblind to the ever increasing bad smell. I shudder to think how long it could have gone befire it went noticed by them. 

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

My dog's evening farts! 

• Haha 2

Rotting food.